Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lease Renting Property

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 10:23 AM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyobody know where I can get info on the above. We are looking to buy a second home and rent or lease the first house. Any info will be very helpful.
Old 11 April 2002, 04:46 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 11 April 2002, 09:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Vinesh,what kind of info do you need? Mail me if you like,I have a little experience.
Old 11 April 2002, 09:56 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I rent some property, its all pretty simple.

Its worth using a reputable letting agency to advertise your property, broker the deal between the landlord (you) and the tenant, and draw up the contracts. Usual fee is the 1st months rent. The agency will also draws up an inventory of the property, and takes the deposit. Six month contracts are the norm.

Letting agents can manage the property for a percentage of the monthly rent. In my experience, if you are prepared to manage the property yourself, and live close enough to keep an eye on things, it is not worth the money.

If the letting agency draws up the contract, its worth letting your solicitor cast an eye over it to ensure it is watertight, although for residential property most contracts are fairly standardised. If you fancy having a go, you can even buy a standard letting contract off the shelf in WHSmiths.

Remember that you are responsible for all maintainance, and all items inside the property as listed on the inventory. If the telly, fridge and washing machine feature on the inventory and all blow up in the same week, it is up to you to replace them. The tenant is responsible for all bills, including council tax, gas, electric, water etc, as well as damage and deterioration of the decorating, gardens etc.

It is worth setting up a direct debit mandate to collect rent, it is far easier and more or less guaranteed. A visit to the property for a quick check once a month is reasonable, your tenant will not thank you for barging in to your house 4 times a week.

And don't forget to tell the taxman. Rent is classed as an income. Monies collected from rent is taxable, although interest paid on the mortgage (if you have one on the property) is tax deductable, as is any spendings on maintainence, agency fees, advertising etc. Improvements (eg new extension) are not. Best to speak to your accountant each year.

Hope this helps.