Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

£350 gas bill!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2011, 08:56 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default £350 gas bill!

I know we've had it a bit nippy so I've allowed the wife to press the magic on button for the heating....but how much

I know we pay a dd and normally in credit but flipping nora!

Have I missed something? Heating back off,scarves and gloves on
Old 04 January 2011, 08:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that an estimate or have you read your meter?
Old 04 January 2011, 09:42 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

yeah phone them with the meter reading robbing ******* tried to give me a £320 gas bill gave them the numbers went down to £48.

makes me sick cause how many old people just pay the bill or sit there worrying where they will get the money from to pay the bill.
Old 04 January 2011, 09:54 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Is that an estimate or have you read your meter?
Wife said they came in and read it with some digital device so presume correct

Don't think we ever have it above 19 degrees and its a normal three bed semi!
Old 04 January 2011, 09:57 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

they dont normally do a reading for you did they scan a black disc thing out side that happens to be by the sink or kitchen window if so that the water meter they scanned not gas best to read the meter your self
Old 04 January 2011, 10:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

It could be what happened to me about 2 years ago, I paid a monthly amount by DD and the a year later after winter got a bill for £400. When rang up and asked why they (eventually) admitted they had set my DD level too low and had used the summer period to calculate years usage etc. Cheeaky so and so's did offer to let me pay off the amount by incresing the DD, but when asked if the DD would automatically drop wheh the excess paid off was told no, it would not be automatic I would have to ask them to drop it and not guaranteed to get it dropped.
Told them none too politely to stuff it, I now pay quartly and and make them wait as long as possible before I pay the bill.

Richard
Old 05 January 2011, 09:52 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
reading that I cant see what the issue with the gas co is to be honest. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
While it seemed a perfecty sensible write up of why I dont like utilities companies charging by DD and then expecting the customers to pay extras for any mistakes they make by not getting the DD payments wrong. It was witten after a few drinks and a long day so might no be the best, so here goes for a 2nd time !

Will put it bullet form & numbers to make it a bit easier.
Was paying £60 pm by DD, got a bill for £400 as usage had been calculated wrong.
Was told my actual usage was £80 pm, but the gas company would charge me £150 pm to make up the extra (casused by gas company mistake)
Asked when the extra paid off would my DD payment drop automatially to £80, told no, it would stay at £150 to ensure my account stayed in credit.

Now I'm not here to ensure that utilities companies make big proffits by deliberately overcharging people for usage. In fact Watchdog did a show on exactly this.
My account with any Utilities company does not need to be in credit at all, especially by the amounts they wanted to do. Hence why I only pay bills quartely.
Nor am I here to pay for anyone else mistakes - its bad enough paying for my own mistkaes !

Richard
Old 05 January 2011, 10:27 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Our quaterly bill has just arrived... about £220

But thats for gas and leccy

Mart
Old 05 January 2011, 11:02 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
My account with any Utilities company does not need to be in credit at all
This is very true.

When you take on a new supplier they will credit check you as they will be providing you with a credit service.

If you fail the credit check, then they will swap your meter for a pre-pay unit.

Originally Posted by mart360

That's pretty good. Ours was £270/qtr for both, and we're not shy when it comes to keeping warm.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:38 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360

Mart

crikey, you use candels for heat and light?

lol, thats very low
Old 05 January 2011, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Mine works out at about £78 a month.

But thats both Gas & Electricity. Telephone and Broadband. (All calls are free)

That is based on a 2 Bed flat.
Old 05 January 2011, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There are times when I am very grateful for our Jetmaster coal/wood fire. Surprisingly cheap to run compared with gas or electricity.

Les
Old 05 January 2011, 05:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
This is very true.

When you take on a new supplier they will credit check you as they will be providing you with a credit service.

If you fail the credit check, then they will swap your meter for a pre-pay unit.

That's pretty good. Ours was £270/qtr for both, and we're not shy when it comes to keeping warm.

Thats what happened to me. I'm with Southern Electric for gas and electric. Was on pre payment meters for both which although easy and manageable wasn't as cheap as having a DD for both. Failed the credit check due to defaults from when unemployed 2 years ago so had to stay on them. Only a 5% discount for being on DD so not too bad but feel kinda trapped. Been with both NPower and British Gas who were shocking so not many options left now.

Since the slight price rise gas is costing me £20-25 a week for a nice freezing cold house (**** heating system and solid walls do not help), and about £15 a week on electric.
Old 05 January 2011, 05:13 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

oh my god i must be a right tight **** my electric is about £10 a week which £3 is paying a debt cause i wanted a prepayment meter fitted had to run a debt up and our gas is costing about £50-60 a quarter but i do turn my boiler off when i dont use it
Old 05 January 2011, 05:41 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

JUST HAD MINE £173 FOR A MONTHS GAS ONLY.FFS!!
Old 05 January 2011, 06:12 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thats what happened to me. I'm with Southern Electric for gas and electric. Was on pre payment meters for both which although easy and manageable wasn't as cheap as having a DD for both. Failed the credit check due to defaults from when unemployed 2 years ago so had to stay on them. Only a 5% discount for being on DD so not too bad but feel kinda trapped. Been with both NPower and British Gas who were shocking so not many options left now.
Yeah, you know my financial situation It's all had to go in ar lasses name now.
When we where on pre-pay, the standing charge was some thing like £85 a year. One of our friends was on credit meter was paying only £32.

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Since the slight price rise gas is costing me £20-25 a week for a nice freezing cold house (**** heating system and solid walls do not help), and about £15 a week on electric.
We're with BG for both, £93 a month. I've just fitted secondary glazing in the front bay window which seems to of made a big difference, we will see over the next couple of months.
Old 05 January 2011, 07:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

£95 / month with npower for a well insulated 4 bed detached so not too bad.

Chip
Old 05 January 2011, 07:41 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 500 litres of oil delivered on the 6th of december costing £285ish, I checked my oil tank tonight and I have about 50 litres left.

£285 for a months heating is a total p1ss take, wouldnt be as bad but we have a coal fire on for about 12 hours a day aswell.
This is in 3 three bed detached, double glazed and loft insulation thermostat set to a max of 19degs.
Old 05 January 2011, 08:14 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burbling1
I got 500 litres of oil delivered on the 6th of december costing £285ish, I checked my oil tank tonight and I have about 50 litres left.

£285 for a months heating is a total p1ss take, wouldnt be as bad but we have a coal fire on for about 12 hours a day aswell.
This is in 3 three bed detached, double glazed and loft insulation thermostat set to a max of 19degs.
You sure somebody hasn't half inched it, we've done about £150 worth of oil in the last month (4 bed detached).
Old 05 January 2011, 09:01 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Just got my combined gas/electric bill from Scottish Power for last 3 months.

Extended 4 bed detached with wife at home all day with the baby .... Electric £98 + Gas £190. Really relieved as I thought it was going to be a hell of a lot more. My gas prices were capped last March which has saved a bit.

I guess that the 600mm of loft insulation and replacing my halogen downlight lamps with Led ones ( free from work) has worked quite well. Wonder if a new fangled condensing wonder boiler would have save me more??

A customer at work said they had used 250 litres of oil in just over 2 weeks. I had a quick look and asked if the house got hot, hey said "yes why" I told them that their room thermostat in their hall wasn't wired to the boiler! The cable was coiled up in some boxing lol.

Last edited by Coupe-Se; 05 January 2011 at 09:04 PM.