Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Economic predictions for 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2010, 12:28 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Economic predictions for 2011?

What do you guys think? Here are my guesses.

1) House prices down at least in real terms and probably in nominal as well. 10% in real terms, but some places up norf dropping more.

2) More institutions and countries needing to be bailed out. This will mean more printing of money and so the purchasing power of € $ £ all decreasing.

3) The money printing should help the stock market and so stocks should on the whole do well?

4) Unemployment will of course rise.

5) Gold will continue to rise. $1800/oz by the end of 2011.

6) Food, fuel etc will all rise in cost.

So for me a combination of income tax rises, vat rise, pay freeze, property value falls and living cost rises all mean I will be 'poorer'

It will be interesting to see whether my gold and equity exposure mitigate that to some extent.
Old 28 December 2010, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How will we pay for the quantative easing I wonder.

Les
Old 28 December 2010, 01:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I think we are screwed as a country now so next year will be even worse
Old 28 December 2010, 01:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Doom and gloom
Old 28 December 2010, 01:41 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

So is it a good time for me to buy a house?

Gotta good deposit for my area and job security is top notch

Should I continue to sit back and wait for the bargin of the century annyoing all the local estate agents?
Old 28 December 2010, 01:44 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no pay rise even though company paid back 53million to bank in 2010
gas and leccy to rise
worse off yet again
THINK ITS TIME TO GET ON THE PLATFORM OF LIFE AND RIDE
for the sake of 72quid a month better off i dont think i will be working much longer . they have had my taxes for 29years now and pissed them down the drain now i want some back . family man my *** cameron is just the same full of ****E . nothing they do or say affects them and until it does nothing will change in this dung hole of a country
Old 28 December 2010, 02:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I see many job loses in retail as they start having to payback for the vanity of the january sales.

My place isn't even paying us for the forced overtime they have made us do since december. I can see myself jobless by March.
Old 28 December 2010, 02:19 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

how about interest rates?

I keep hearing about them rising, but I'm struggling to see how...... people are skint anyway. The more mortgage repos the worse it all gets - bit of a perpetual cycle if you ask me....
Old 28 December 2010, 02:37 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
3) The money printing should help the stock market and so stocks should on the whole do well?
Perhaps, but only nominal? It still has to be a better place for your money than bonds, though. Plenty of historical data to back that up.

As obvious as it sounds, I do think interest rates will rise this year (not that it takes a genius to make that prediction). I reckon there will be problems in Spain and other Euro countries; Possibly us too - for a wild guess I'll say we'll see a 5% yield on the UK 10yr. Also, the RPI over 6%.

There are the predictions, it'll be interesting to come back in a year and see how wrong I (probably) was.

Old 28 December 2010, 03:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The UK needs to re-invent another pioneering/leading industry(ies) based within the Uk that serves the globe. Until then, its a downward spiral, with any inbetween measures being a stop-gap solution. And for next year. Pretty much more of the same as this year. But, some tin-pot predictions in no particular order:

More public sector losses.

Big job losses from ex-public sector companies and contractors to the public sector and military.

House prices to still decline a bit more, but start to stabilise

Another bailout of Jaguar/Land Rover or moving of some production overseas

Collapse of ConDem - Clegg to buckle under pressure from Lib MPs

Aston Martin to be sold (maybe to Chinese investors).

Ed Milliband to be ousted, or labour MP walk-outs/defections whilst he is at the helm

VAT rise effect on retail after the initial Christmas "beat the VAT" surge, no real difference.

Bank's/Marston's (pubs) to go into admin, bow down to takeover with splitting and liquidising of its assets on a grand scale (maybe not next year, maybe 2012)
Old 28 December 2010, 04:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Interestng thoughts, and mine are only the same btw, not pretending I know any better.

There will be pressure on interest rates to rise as rpi stays well above target and the £ weakens further.

Bonehead, nobody has a crystal ball but if I were in your position I would be looking to buy in the second half of 2011 not first half.
Old 28 December 2010, 04:52 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, within a month of me going back to work I'll find out if we're going onto 3 day weeks due to lack of work.

After a few months of that............ redundancies.

So 2011 could be a very bad year for me.
Old 28 December 2010, 04:54 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Bring out ya Dead .!!

Bring out ya Dead !!!!
Old 28 December 2010, 05:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We'll continue to make less, and thus export less, yet import more, thus haemorrhage money until eventually the rest of the world realises we are financially ruined. Considering the massive wealth this country acquired in the days of empire when we stole the natural resources of 90% of the world whilst manufacturing almost everything sold anywhere, how we have reversed that to a point beyond bankruptcy is quite appalling. We can blame the politicians, we can blame the bankers, but we can also blame ourselves as we drive around in German and Japanese cars, eat New Zealand butter and lamb, and other foods from the furthest corners of the globe, dress in Chinese clothes and watch our Taiwanese TV's. On top of that we allow our own to doss around doing nothing and pay them for the effort, whilst also paying waifs and strays from around the world to do the same, fed, clothed, housed, and with all the benefits of our welfare state in the shape of health, education, Policing, legal protection etc etc etc.

Put me in charge and I'll reverse the deficit, but I'll need some new laws passed first to silence the bleeding heart human rights lawyers and stave off the condemnation of the rest of the worlds governments. I'll make it VERY tough on those who don't deserve, but reward the hard workers and those whom are assets to the nation.
Old 28 December 2010, 05:01 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
We'll continue to make less, and thus export less, yet import more, thus haemorrhage money until eventually the rest of the world realises we are financially ruined. Considering the massive wealth this country acquired in the days of empire when we stole the natural resources of 90% of the world whilst manufacturing almost everything sold anywhere, how we have reversed that to a point beyond bankruptcy is quite appalling. We can blame the politicians, we can blame the bankers, but we can also blame ourselves as we drive around in German and Japanese cars, eat New Zealand butter and lamb, and other foods from the furthest corners of the globe, dress in Chinese clothes and watch our Taiwanese TV's. On top of that we allow our own to doss around doing nothing and pay them for the effort, whilst also paying waifs and strays from around the world to do the same, fed, clothed, housed, and with all the benefits of our welfare state in the shape of health, education, Policing, legal protection etc etc etc.

Put me in charge and I'll reverse the deficit, but I'll need some new laws passed first to silence the bleeding heart human rights lawyers and stave off the condemnation of the rest of the worlds governments. I'll make it VERY tough on those who don't deserve, but reward the hard workers and those whom are assets to the nation.
You have my Vote .
Old 28 December 2010, 05:26 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Well, within a month of me going back to work I'll find out if we're going onto 3 day weeks due to lack of work.

After a few months of that............ redundancies.

So 2011 could be a very bad year for me.

I know how you feel ,that has happened to me twice in 3 years ,3 day weeks and weeks off work unpaid
Hope it works out for you and anyone else it happens too
Old 28 December 2010, 06:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
no pay rise even though company paid back 53million to bank in 2010
gas and leccy to rise
worse off yet again
THINK ITS TIME TO GET ON THE PLATFORM OF LIFE AND RIDE
for the sake of 72quid a month better off i dont think i will be working much longer . they have had my taxes for 29years now and pissed them down the drain now i want some back . family man my *** cameron is just the same full of ****E . nothing they do or say affects them and until it does nothing will change in this dung hole of a country

You're suggesting quitting your job and living off benefits? Or did I read that wrong.
Old 28 December 2010, 06:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Where do I sign up
Old 28 December 2010, 06:18 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
You're suggesting quitting your job and living off benefits? Or did I read that wrong.
maybe for a while cos ive had enough of working for *** all . am looking into going to canada as we type
Old 28 December 2010, 06:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

maybe for a while cos ive had enough of working for *** all . am looking into going to canada as we type
I presume you've got a roof over your head, food in your belly and clothes on your back. Drive an Impreza? Beliveve me you're not doing too bad.
Old 28 December 2010, 06:32 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I presume you've got a roof over your head, food in your belly and clothes on your back. Drive an Impreza? Beliveve me you're not doing too bad.
good point but then on the flipside i know people on the social with a roof over thier head bigger telly better laptop/computer and 2 subarus and they dont have to get up at 7.30 every norning . my friend has moved to canada and is hands down better off , if i sell up here my 275k will buy me a 5bed bungalow with land and triple garage and still have 100k canadian dollars in the bank. schools are better bills are less and not run by a bunck of fiddling donkeys
Old 28 December 2010, 06:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Deleted...

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 28 December 2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Meh, some just don't geddit.
Old 28 December 2010, 06:58 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

good point but then on the flipside i know people on the social with a roof over thier head bigger telly better laptop/computer and 2 subarus and they dont have to get up at 7.30 every norning . my friend has moved to canada and is hands down better off , if i sell up here my 275k will buy me a 5bed bungalow with land and triple garage and still have 100k canadian dollars in the bank. schools are better bills are less and not run by a bunck of fiddling donkeys
Half seven! I'm up at half six. I appreciate what you're saying about folk who scrounge but believe me adopting a 'join em if you can't beat em' philosophy isn't the way forward. If you can better yourself by hard work and dedication then more power to your elbow, that's the way forward. It saddens me to think you couldn't do it in this country but if moving abroad is the only way forward then so be it.
Old 28 December 2010, 07:14 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We made the world's products for a reason, though. The country can choose between regulation and protection, and some serious poverty, material inequality, but overall wealth. The people have clearly made a choice, they want government protection, in many cases from themselves, so they get what they ask for. Then they complain about it when the politicians they are so desperate to bite the hand off actually deliver what they promise, it's just that usually the promises are a double-edged sword.

Short of putting an end to, or at least drastically limiting the power people have in a democracy, the above 'problems' (if that is how you see them) will not go away. In the wonderful world we live in, even the complete spackers that appear on Jeremy Kyle can vote in politicians who'll enact legislation that'll change your life forever. Isn't it great?