Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Achilles Tendow, OWW

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2010, 07:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Achilles Tendow, OWW

I went over on my ankle the other night (sober) whilst shopping, in the precinct there is a kerb edge and I kind of got one my foot on the edge and nearly fell over, made me wince, not done that in years and it was pretty sore for 2/3 days, took the Dog for a decent walk as it felt better but woke up this morning and couldn't put any weight on it, been the same all day, its stiff, little bit swollen but hurts like ****.

What have I done to it, it didn't feel like Achilles when I hurt it and as it got better, kind of the side of my foot and up, not the back but now its definitely the Achilles and much worse than it was.

Any suggestions, other than limping....
Old 18 December 2010, 07:34 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off with the leg
Old 18 December 2010, 07:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

a friends achilles tendon snapped playing football a fews years ago

as loud as a gunshot -- plaster for 12 weeks i think
Old 18 December 2010, 08:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My GP can issue an x-ray request which bypasses most of the long queues at A&E so that might be worth a shot? dl
Old 18 December 2010, 09:00 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

its had an effect on your phone answering capabilities, i have just tried ringing your house you, to see if mummys little soldier still wants a pint tomorrow afternoon.

answer your phone j4cko.

ps get saving for our summer holiday next year. and stop buying car springs.
Old 18 December 2010, 09:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
its had an effect on your phone answering capabilities, i have just tried ringing your house you, to see if mummys little soldier still wants a pint tomorrow afternoon.

answer your phone j4cko.

Old 18 December 2010, 09:35 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2010, 09:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

answer your phone j4cko.

Old 19 December 2010, 12:18 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

My Mrs snapped hers doing a fitness class, swore blind somebody had kicked her. She drove home and went to work for two days before the pain became too much. Took her to A&E...it was snapped. Twelve weeks in pot, and then weeks with various wedges under her heal. Six months altogether, twelve before fully fit.
The Doc said its common to hear a loud crack when it goes and most think they've been kicked or something.

If you lay on your back is there a dent in your tendon?
Old 19 December 2010, 12:48 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

A lad on our works five-a-side team did his last year whilst playing for us, I was a good 5 or 6 yards from him and I heard it go, almost like a whipcrack

Like MMT's Mrs, he was in a pot for at least a couple of months, and on crutches, and then a stick for at least twice that again
And we didn't give him any stick about it in the office afterwards, at all, ever

Some 18 months later he's just started playing again, but nowhere near as exuberantly as he used to, understandably.
Old 19 December 2010, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that J4CKO, must be very painful.

Hope it is not as bad as you think and that it clears up soon.

Les
Old 19 December 2010, 12:44 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've probably strained it rather than anything else.

The normal process would be to follow the RICE principle.

Rest
Ice - to help reduce any swelling - approx 10 minutes every couple of hours
Compress
Elevate

But I'm sure you know that anyway....
Old 19 December 2010, 03:33 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I went over on my ankle the other night (sober) whilst shopping, in the precinct there is a kerb edge and I kind of got one my foot on the edge and nearly fell over, made me wince, not done that in years and it was pretty sore for 2/3 days, took the Dog for a decent walk as it felt better but woke up this morning and couldn't put any weight on it, been the same all day, its stiff, little bit swollen but hurts like ****.

What have I done to it, it didn't feel like Achilles when I hurt it and as it got better, kind of the side of my foot and up, not the back but now its definitely the Achilles and much worse than it was.

Jacko

1) There does not have to be a loud snap when the Achilles tendon (AT) is ruptured. Most the time it probably won't be heard.
It can be done from a definite action ie football, basketball etc but sometimes seems to pop from a relatively minor action.

2) Have a feel, you can sometimes feel the gap.

3) See if you can stand on tiptoe and push off, if you can't it may well be ruptured. If you can then it may well be just a sprain and as mentioned keep it elevated, take some ibuprofen etc

4) Xray won't really help, it needs an examination and then ultrasound or mri to make the diagnoses.

5) Treatment will be surgical repair that takes about 30 minutes in good hands.

6) Its easier to repair the sooner it is treated. Sometimes the diagnoses is missed for a couple of weeks and then its more of a pia.

Good luck
Old 19 December 2010, 04:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers, thinking about it seems to be more my heel, below where the Tendon attaches, but not the very bottom cant walk on it now, hobbling everywhere. I think I will give it to the morning and go to the Doctors or possibly casualty if it is no better, the missus is not very sympathetic and say I cant possibly have broken it as I wouldn't be able to put any weight on it, durr, I cant put any weight on it, I am not doing this to look like a f*cking pirate !
Old 19 December 2010, 05:22 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Jacko, your 'heel' is where the AT attaches.

Anyway I'm sure you'll get it sorted.
Old 19 December 2010, 05:29 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dingdongler - Does the tendon always have to be repaired? When I was 15 I went over on my right ankle and heard two loud cracks. I then couldn't walk on the foot - even putting weight on it was agonising, and I certainly couldn't put pressure on the front. They told me at the time it was a tendon or a ligament (can't remember which one) and that I would be able to walk on it again in a week or so. I could, but it was still sore (especially in the cold for weeks after that), and I was told that since it never heals back to full strength I could do it again. Which I have, two more times since then doing sports.

So, I take it the Achilles tendon is worse than what I did and won't fix itself? I actually thought (thinking back) that that's what my injury was, but perhaps not?
Old 19 December 2010, 05:53 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Did mine playing Squash about 10 years ago. Really loud crack and I fell to the floor. Tendon was half way up my calf all curled up. Felt like it was on fire. Nobbled for a good 12 weeks and couldn't play squash for over 6 months. Would hate to have it go again.
Old 19 December 2010, 06:26 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Mine swells up now and again, It is a real pain and hurts like **** but until it snaps, theirs **** all I can do, mind you the druken bastid that hit me head on in 1996 as to answer to this cos my ankles were so badly trapped under the pedels, the firebrigade had too cut me free, after being trapped for 3 hours!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 19 December 2010, 08:07 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Ruptured mine playing squash too!

Couldn't operate on mine as it was ruptured at the calf muscle so had a pot on for 12 weeks.

A simple way to check if you have ruptured the achilles is to kneel on a chair taking the weight off your foot and squeeze your calf, if your achilles is ok your foot will extend (point). Also your toes will be very badly bruised.

I initailly thought I'd tore a calf muscle and used the RICE principle but the next morning it was confirmed by my GP by doing the above simple test.

Hope it's not your Achilles mate as it's taken me well over 12 months to recover with loads of physio.

Last edited by Mal K; 19 December 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 20 December 2010, 09:58 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Dingdongler - Does the tendon always have to be repaired? When I was 15 I went over on my right ankle and heard two loud cracks. I then couldn't walk on the foot - even putting weight on it was agonising, and I certainly couldn't put pressure on the front. They told me at the time it was a tendon or a ligament (can't remember which one) and that I would be able to walk on it again in a week or so. I could, but it was still sore (especially in the cold for weeks after that), and I was told that since it never heals back to full strength I could do it again. Which I have, two more times since then doing sports.

So, I take it the Achilles tendon is worse than what I did and won't fix itself? I actually thought (thinking back) that that's what my injury was, but perhaps not?
Alan,

If it's a full rupture then it has to be surgically repaired, it cannot be healed by plaster/physio etc. When it ruptures the two ends spring apart with a huge gap between them, there is no physical way they can come back together without surgical intervention.
Old 20 December 2010, 11:35 PM
Lisawrx

Cheers, thinking about it seems to be more my heel, below where the Tendon attaches, but not the very bottom cant walk on it now, hobbling everywhere. I think I will give it to the morning and go to the Doctors or possibly casualty if it is no better, the missus is not very sympathetic and say I cant possibly have broken it as I wouldn't be able to put any weight on it, durr, I cant put any weight on it, I am not doing this to look like a f*cking pirate !
What you say seems similar to a problem I have had, twice now.

For me the pain starts in my heel, can barely put weight on it. As time goes on, not only does the heel area 'hurt' but the pain then extends down the inside to the ball of my foot. I limp about, only really being able to weight on the outside of my foot, which I'm not sure helps but the pain is so bad I cannot walk normally. If I press on the back of my heel, it hurts like hell.

I have spoken to the docs and physio, and they seem to think it was tendonitis. They said there was nothing that could be done really, just get on with it and it would sort itself out. Which is a bugger as it lasts for weeks, then seems to go away almost as quickly as it came on.

Can't say obviously that this is the same thing you are experiencing (assuming their diagnosis was even correct), but I can assure you the pain is intense. Mind you, the twice this has happened/flared up, I have never done anything that I can remember to my foot.
Old 20 December 2010, 11:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I've had tendonitus in my left achilles (near the heel) for about 1 year. It's just not healing but is better than it was. I don't limp now but don't run so I'm not sure how it would bear up with activity.

I've had loads of tendonitus problems over the last year. Supraspinatus, lats, coracobrachialis. Total nightmare as well as hurting my subscapularis. Feel my body is falling apart. Just in the summer I could barely dress myself and do the washing up.

I was taking tons of ibuprofen since I hurt my back 2 years ago, and I think maybe the ibuprofen was promoting inflammation by reducing blood flow and stopping my tissues healing? So I have stopped taking that stuff about 10 weeks ago and I will see if I heal up. So far progress seems slow but I'm only in very minor pain doing day-to-day stuff. Have to tak it easy though.
Old 20 December 2010, 11:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Go an have an x-ray.

Check that you haven't fractured your metatarsal (http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/a...cture_full.php). I did this just over a month ago purely twisting my ankle and it hurt! They probably wont plaster it but will recommend wearing a support sock and not putting weight on it.

Steve
Old 21 December 2010, 09:31 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Really need to go and get it X-Rayed as suggested, it kept me up last night, really wierd feeling, couldnt get comfortable, it felt unstable and I still cant walk on it, what happens is I think its a bit better and then put some weight on it and it starts jangling again, went to sleep between 3 and 4. The missus has sod all sympathy and tells me to stop going on about it, tells me I have just sprained it and to borrow her tubular bandage, not going to listen any more, if she wont take me I will drive myself, all she was doing yestersay was watching all the episodes of Judge Judy she recorded on Sky Plus so I have to come on here for some sympathy I think I used it all up with my tooth problem, which after having one extracted is now ok.

Its funny, her family all seem to advocate stoicism and "getting on with it" but the minute anything is wrong with them, they all take to their beds, keep telling her that I am not making this up or limping for effect !

Its funny, having never had anything resembling pain I have had a fair bit (by my standards) the last few months, since I hit 40....
Old 21 December 2010, 10:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Stop bleating on here and go and get some fecking medical advice before you exacerbate any damage

Happy Christmas

dl
Old 21 December 2010, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats good advice.

Les
Old 21 December 2010, 10:51 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Stop bleating on here and go and get some fecking medical advice before you exacerbate any damage

Happy Christmas

dl
Yes, am doing, would have gone before but the wife just tells me to stop moaning, she has agreed to drop me of, she isnt waiting apparently.
Old 21 December 2010, 11:16 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes, am doing, would have gone before but the wife just tells me to stop moaning, she has agreed to drop me of, she isnt waiting apparently.
Well that's just wives for you

Just hop into a solicitor's on the way back if it worries you

dl
Old 21 December 2010, 11:17 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well that's just wives for you

Just hop into a solicitor's on the way back if it worries you

dl
"Whilst you strap my ankle up, can you do her gob whilst you are at it"

I am so dead if she comes snooping !
Old 21 December 2010, 04:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Well, thankfully its just strained ligaments, sprained ankle or whatever, Xray diddnt show any fractuures or anything, the Nurse Practitioner just said take copious ammount of Paracetemol and Ibuprofen in combination, take it easy but not too easy, i.e. use it, should be sorted in a week.

Quick Reply: Achilles Tendow, OWW