Weather forecasts.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2010, 06:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Weather forecasts.

Yes, again.

The one I usually use, usually FAR more reliable than the dreaded MetOffice, has forecast no snow for the last three days.

It's just put down ANOTHER 2" here, which makes that we've ALREADY HAD a minimum of 6" over three days :rolleyes.

Another site forecasts we will have -17 degrees thursday night, while the first forecasts -1.
My question is: how can they be SO DIFFERENT??????
Old 30 November 2010, 07:06 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its because they're sh*te
Old 30 November 2010, 07:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im not sure theyre different but this ones gfs based

http://www.wzkarten.de/
Old 30 November 2010, 07:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone watch Ch5 news this evening? They said its going to be snowing all over the place, and its going to be dreadful all over the country for the next few days. They have saved their back from public outrage on bullsh!tting about the weather by generalising their weather prediction for whole of the UK. They projected snowfall through a piece of theatrical gel on the UK map, leaving not a patch untouched. Well done to them.

Last edited by Turbohot; 30 November 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 30 November 2010, 07:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Old 30 November 2010, 07:34 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Its because they're sh*te

And a total waste of time and money.

I can't believe people read/listen/watch and actually believe the utter drivvle that is spouted by the idiots. To the point of expecting them to be right and even planning their days around the, so called, 'information'.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:50 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

well are work have laid us off due to the snow and have told us that we can write the rest of the week of as the forcast is snow snow snow i think its bollocks where in northampton the roads are clear its just cold we dont get paid while where off well we do £23 a day bit of pay drop from £115 !!
Old 30 November 2010, 11:40 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

You should let Dufrais know if the met office have got the weather wrong, he`ll fight your corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32swlxb053I
Old 30 November 2010, 11:42 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Metcheck used to be good, but their forecasts have been crap recently
Old 01 December 2010, 09:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The weather will do just what it wants regardless of what we expect it to do.

Forecasting it can never be guaranteed, they can only do their best.

Les
Old 01 December 2010, 10:13 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Did anyone watch Ch5 news this evening? They said its going to be snowing all over the place, and its going to be dreadful all over the country for the next few days. They have saved their back from public outrage on bullsh!tting about the weather by generalising their weather prediction for whole of the UK. They projected snowfall through a piece of theatrical gel on the UK map, leaving not a patch untouched. Well done to them.
We'll they got that wrong then too

No snow where I live - some hailstones early hours of Monday
Its ******* freezing though
Old 01 December 2010, 10:27 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
And a total waste of time and money.

I can't believe people read/listen/watch and actually believe the utter drivvle that is spouted by the idiots. To the point of expecting them to be right and even planning their days around the, so called, 'information'.
nONE OF THE sOUTH eAST SOFTIES LISTENED
Old 01 December 2010, 10:54 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL @ 6" in 3 days We had 8" over night !!

Still managed to get me and my car to work and home again with minimal fuss and no hint of a crash or an abandonment
Old 01 December 2010, 11:03 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Default 2 feet of snow expected tonight

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Asif/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Asif/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT1433132.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	4690
Old 01 December 2010, 11:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 01 December 2010, 12:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
LOL @ 6" in 3 days We had 8" over night !!

Still managed to get me and my car to work and home again with minimal fuss and no hint of a crash or an abandonment
10" last night alone. My wife's car is stranded up our drive, the lad couldn't get his IN the drive last night. He has walked to work this morning, took him an hour and he is one of four out of a total of 20+ who made it in.
Old 01 December 2010, 03:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The movement of air masses, the formation of frontal regions and pressure systems as well as the movement of the polar fronts are all entropic processes which therefore cannot be predicted with stone cold accuracy.

The met forecasters can only do their best with the reported and measured information available to them but the actual conditions can never be guaranteed.

It is unfair to blame the weather conditions that actually occur on them.

Les
Old 01 December 2010, 03:19 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

3 days is about as far as we can go with any reasonable reliability. 5 to 7 days, maybe.. but more than 7 days and its very much long range.

The Met do monthly outlooks, which tend to be on the money, but they only use generic words... i.e colder, warmer etc.
Old 01 December 2010, 03:26 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The movement of air masses, the formation of frontal regions and pressure systems as well as the movement of the polar fronts are all entropic processes which therefore cannot be predicted with stone cold accuracy.
With any accuracy as far as i can see.

The met forecasters can only do their best with the reported and measured information available to them but the actual conditions can never be guaranteed.
They obviously need to take a good look at the way they interpret the information then.

It is unfair to blame the weather conditions that actually occur on them.

Les
Not blaming them for the weather Les. Weather is weather and will do what it does.
It's the bull they spew out time after time, winter and summer. Their inability to correctly predict and get it right.

The met office and associated must cost the tax payer a mint every year, do they have their budgets cut? That is money that could be well and truley better spent imho.

Last edited by Glowplug; 01 December 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02 December 2010, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You may be right, they have to produce forecasts to justify their existence of course.

I had a lot of experience of met forecasting in my job of course, it was crucial at times to get the right sort of answers if you were going to arrive with only just enough fuel for a diversion if the destination airfield clamped in. Military flying is done to tighter limitations from civilian ones. In all those years I only had one really poor forecast which could have caused me real problems but we got away with it in the end. The only time i had to land in fog. That is exciting!

Quite honestly they can only go by reported weather conditions and the make up of the air masses concerned and those can change so easily for no apparent reason that they will often find their forecasts becoming wrong at the last minute comparatively speaking.

Les
Old 02 December 2010, 12:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I can understand the difficulties of accurate forecasting, after all, it's NOT an exact science, is it? And THAT is something they don't tell us.

But what I CANNOT get my head round is the disparity between two forecasts, apparently using the same data.

I mean, heavy snow/none AT ALL, and -1 degree/-17 degree night time temperatures?

It's just not possible to be SO widely different, unless they are just guessing........in which case why do we bother?
Old 02 December 2010, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I can understand the difficulties of accurate forecasting, after all, it's NOT an exact science, is it? And THAT is something they don't tell us.

But what I CANNOT get my head round is the disparity between two forecasts, apparently using the same data.

I mean, heavy snow/none AT ALL, and -1 degree/-17 degree night time temperatures?

It's just not possible to be SO widely different, unless they are just guessing........in which case why do we bother?
I can only think that it is down to one forecaster having a different view of things when seeing the same conditions. It is often to do with the fact that it is easier to forecast for an area that you know well compared with one that you don't. Local variations can be very effective on conditions.

We have had snow forecast for our area for some days now but it did not arrive until last night.

Les
Old 02 December 2010, 01:42 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I've been using Metcheck recently and whilst I know its a bit of a guessing game there's is a joke at the moment. If I look at my postcode and click on the individual days, you get a forecast. If you then click on the 'more' button you can view the same days but on less detail. If you then compare there are discrepancies like: -7 and +5 for the same part of the same day. And that sort of discrepancies go on day after day.
BTW we've had over 24" of snow here, a friend of my daughters Facebooked a warning and photos of her conservatory collapsing under the weight of the snow. I've seen the photos and its a mess, totally destroyed. Anothers carport has collapsed on top of the car. Needless to say, I went out and scrapped all the snow of both of mine.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't blame you after hearing about all that. Thats a lot of snow alright.

Les
Old 02 December 2010, 02:12 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Don't blame you after hearing about all that. Thats a lot of snow alright.

Les
It's the worst snow I've seen Les, its halfway up my thigh and over my waist in places. A plough cleared one road the other day and besides that I've seen three 4x4's, its bad. My daughters boyfriend is a doctor at Barnsley hospital and it took him 5 hrs to get home the other day. He's on standby now, he can't travel to Barnsley but may get called in to Chesterfield if they get short. We're knocking on all the old codgers doors making sure their alright and clearing their paths. It could be like this till Christmas now I reckon.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

5'' the wrong side of the south downs

and -8 tonight ,or so they say .

Last edited by dpb; 02 December 2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:27 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

We had -11 Saturday night and I think that's what's forecast for tonight.