Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ducks

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2010, 07:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducks

To the rear of our modest home there's a field and beyond that a copse through which runs a mineral rich stream, coming off a small, South Walian mountain. During a beautiful Autumn, a family of ducks moved in and ever since, their enthusiastic quacking has wafted gently through our kitchen and bedroom, day and night.

The questions are A) will a Weihrauch HW100 .22 get through the tough breast plate? (a head shot would involve some skill). B) Would having duck this Christmas be disrespectful to Mr Matthews and C), are Harlequins as tasty as say an Aylesbury or Gressingham? TIA. Quack, quack.
Old 26 November 2010, 07:24 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

You'd better make sure you're a good shot!

Old 26 November 2010, 07:50 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

As we are pescatarians we eat duck because my wife says they swim
Old 26 November 2010, 07:56 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
To the rear of our modest home there's a field and beyond that a copse through which runs a mineral rich stream, coming off a small, South Walian mountain. During a beautiful Autumn, a family of ducks moved in and ever since, their enthusiastic quacking has wafted gently through our kitchen and bedroom, day and night.

The questions are A) will a Weihrauch HW100 .22 get through the tough breast plate? (a head shot would involve some skill). B) Would having duck this Christmas be disrespectful to Mr Matthews and C), are Harlequins as tasty as say an Aylesbury or Gressingham? TIA. Quack, quack.
a)...yes
b)...no
c)...depends on your taste realy,wild duck is more strong,livery infact,better making a 5 bird roast,and incorparating the duck in it

stu.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:48 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Mmmm.. crispy duck
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p7P3NDyPei...ling+homer.jpg
Old 27 November 2010, 01:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ducks are easily befriended with bread, so why waste bullets ? I'm almost certain that as long as there is more food available, they'd hang around even if you wrung one of their necks in front of the others they're that dumb. I've been eyeing up the geese on a lake near us, but then again, my evil witch neighbour has two
Old 27 November 2010, 09:19 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

If you want duck,just buy one from you local supermarket..

Why disrupt a family of ducks that are doing no harm ?

Sounds like you wanna live in the countryside,then kill the things around you that makes the countryside beautiful.
Old 27 November 2010, 10:14 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

We spend most of the year feeding the ducks that land in our garden,so they end up very tame.This means come xmas time I can smack them over the head with a crowbar.It can get a bit messy but its a swift death(well sometimes if you just catch them with a glancing blow you do have to have another swipe)
As for disrupting the whole family we do try to kill them all in one go.Its does mean some are small than others but its the least we can do.
Old 27 November 2010, 10:28 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

We're having Aylesbury Swan this year, a little different I know but my location on the Canal allows me one a year. Due to the silly gun laws we have use the dog for the kill.

Old 27 November 2010, 10:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[quote=JackClark;9736266]

We're having Aylesbury Swan this year, a little different I know but my location on the Canal allows me one a year. Due to the silly gun laws we have use the dog for the kill.

quote]

Do they stop you shooting more Swans then? So your dog can kill at will?

dl
Old 27 November 2010, 10:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor

I doubt that Mr Matthews is in the least bit interested any more.

Les
Old 27 November 2010, 11:17 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

corradoboy, Weihrauch HW100 .22, uses pellets not bullets HtH
Old 27 November 2010, 11:55 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've got a whole herd of ducks just feet from my back door! I reckon if I laid some bread crumbs out I could get 'em straight in the pan!
Old 27 November 2010, 12:30 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

do not shoot it unless you a. have permission you dont want to get done for armed trespass and b. providing you have permission take a head shot its the most humane way

a sub 12ftlb airrifle will not go through the muscle and the breast bone all you will do is injure it
Old 27 November 2010, 01:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraman1
do not shoot it unless you a. have permission you dont want to get done for armed trespass and b. providing you have permission take a head shot its the most humane way

a sub 12ftlb airrifle will not go through the muscle and the breast bone all you will do is injure it
Do not destroy our wildlife - end of

dl
Old 27 November 2010, 01:19 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Mmmmm nature would not have made ducks from meat if they were not for eating
Old 27 November 2010, 02:26 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

ive been bought up around hunting so its second nature to me i like to know where my food comes from if it was a choice between hunting or going to the supermarket id go hunting end of you see it as wildlife i see it as food
Old 27 November 2010, 02:43 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Do not destroy our wildlife - end of

dl
but it tastes soooooooooooo good
Old 27 November 2010, 02:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraman1
ive been bought up around hunting so its second nature to me i like to know where my food comes from if it was a choice between hunting or going to the supermarket id go hunting end of you see it as wildlife i see it as food
And as someone brought up in the country I had always thought that the hunting fraternity had a healthy respect for nature and wildlife. Still if shooting swans on a river is second nature to you then who am I to argue.......

dl
Old 27 November 2010, 03:10 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

As long as you eat what you kill i see no problem. I would rather eat a freshly killed wild animal than some poor battery fed example.

Air rifle would not be the weapon of choice at range as it may not be a quick kill, it may not kill at all.(have you tried these)? I find them very effective. Try and lure them a little closer so you have a clear shot. You could always try and stalk them at dusk or dawn as they sit on the water, the question then is retrieval, but if it is a small stream as opposed to a larger river or lake it should not be an issue.

Happy hunting.
Old 27 November 2010, 03:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Still if shooting swans on a river is second nature to you then who am I to argue.......

dl
I was joking about the swan, even the car washer has stopped eating them.
Old 27 November 2010, 03:32 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
As long as you eat what you kill i see no problem. I would rather eat a freshly killed wild animal than some poor battery fed example.

Air rifle would not be the weapon of choice at range as it may not be a quick kill, it may not kill at all.(have you tried these)? I find them very effective. Try and lure them a little closer so you have a clear shot. You could always try and stalk them at dusk or dawn as they sit on the water, the question then is retrieval, but if it is a small stream as opposed to a larger river or lake it should not be an issue.

Happy hunting.

They have to be the worst pellets ever made, only slightly worse than the Dynamics (all tin).

These, made by the same company in the same moulds, were outstanding!! They used to be called Terminators when I bought them, now seems other companies have bought them up and rebadged them.

Also an air rifle would not be on my list to take a duck, shotgun all the way.
Old 27 November 2010, 03:52 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
They have to be the worst pellets ever made, only slightly worse than the Dynamics (all tin).

These, made by the same company in the same moulds, were outstanding!! They used to be called Terminators when I bought them, now seems other companies have bought them up and rebadged them.

Also an air rifle would not be on my list to take a duck, shotgun all the way.
I don't, from my experience see how you can say that. I started using them 28 years ago (although slightly different jackets, clear/white plastic) and have always found them accurate and effective, imho far superior to lead. If you have a hi-power air rifle 14lbft+ you may be better of using something else. Dare i suggest the Paragon
Old 27 November 2010, 04:05 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

And as someone brought up in the country I had always thought that the hunting fraternity had a healthy respect for nature and wildlife. Still if shooting swans on a river is second nature to you then who am I to argue.......

dl
you may want to read this thread again mate i said nothing about shooting swans thats illegal op was talking about ducks i have respect for nature i only used to shoot what i needed and only legal quarry
Old 27 November 2010, 04:24 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I don't, from my experience see how you can say that. I started using them 28 years ago (although slightly different jackets, clear/white plastic) and have always found them accurate and effective, imho far superior to lead. If you have a hi-power air rifle 14lbft+ you may be better of using something else. Dare i suggest the Paragon

Simple. I spent quite a few months bench testing my rifles with all the pellets I could get my hands on. That included Prometheus and dynamics, infact 1 of my rifles was used test dynamics for head size. All my rifles are sub 12 ft/lbs and I used to take this very seriously before I switched from Ft to hunting.

Depends on what you call accurate, for me is 1/2" at 50 yards or better, and yes, my rifles are capable of that.

Sorry I forgot the image on my last post.

Old 27 November 2010, 04:41 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No problems, you've obviously done your home work. 1/2" at 50yrds is tight

Might try some of those, see how i get on.
Old 27 November 2010, 04:46 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Ducks are not acceptable air rifle quarry. A shotgun is what you need.

Geoff.
Old 27 November 2010, 04:55 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

No problems, you've obviously done your home work. 1/2" at 50yrds is tight

Might try some of those, see how i get on.

Just gone through my ammo crate to see if I had any left over, I don't Since I had the custom work done on my Harrier it only seemed to like Crossman Powerpell.

Really should redo the tests now I have got 42 acres to play in
Old 27 November 2010, 05:09 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid17
Ducks are not acceptable air rifle quarry. A shotgun is what you need.

Geoff.
Totally agree. And in flight is much more sporting.

Since I had the custom work done on my Harrier it only seemed to like Crossman Powerpell.
What did you have done to change its preference??

Really should redo the tests now I have got 42 acres to play in
Yes, there are no excuses really. Lucky barskit.
Old 27 November 2010, 05:16 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

What did you have done to change its preference??
Dave Welham reg and whilst it was in his hands got him to work his magic on it. Still considering making a fully synthectic stock for it if I can find the time.

Problem is, I'm supposed to be training for a little trip to Spain next year.. Involving pork chops and carbon arrows.