Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RSPCA - an utter waste of space!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2010, 05:13 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down RSPCA - an utter waste of space!!!!

We have had a stray cat, wandering around our area for the last few weeks.
He is a beauty.
We have managed to get him into the house and have installed him in the hall, away from our other pets.
Took him to the vets, who checked him over and he is thin, but got a clean bill of health.
We are prepared to give him a home, but here is the crux of the matter. He still has his nads.
He is 4 years old and a British Longhair.
He is or was obviously someones pet, but the vet could find no chip.
We contacted the RSPCA about him and their response was. Oh, you had better phone the police Why, what can they do.
RSPCA, well, we can't do anything and you can't get him castrated for at least four weeks incase someone claims him.
OK, can you check to see if anyone has reported a missing British Longhair, I can provide a photo, says I. Not worth it they say and put the phone down
How dare they advertise for money when they obviously don't give a $hit.

Here is the little fella, we have called him Jack
Old 11 November 2010, 05:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get him done and don't tell anyone.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:29 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just get him done and don't tell anyone.
I'm waiting for my Vet to get back to me. I was furious at their total lack of concern for the fact he is probably someones well loved pet and were not remotely interested in looking to see if anyone had registered him lost.
CPL, had a look and called me back yesterday, to say they had no reports. They told me to get him "done" asap and showed a hell of a lot more interest than the RSPCA lot
Old 11 November 2010, 05:33 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Worth a letter to the local rag i'd say.

5t.
Old 11 November 2010, 06:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Contacted them twice re a possible dangerous dog next door, not interested at all suggested it was a police matter. contacted them over neighbours cat the was being neglected - log hared and hair matted and coming out - again not interested.

The only time they showed interest in us was when we cancelled the direct debit with them - we had at least 7 calls in 3 months asking if we would like to reinstate it.

Funily enough we declined and explained why - again they where not interested...
Old 11 November 2010, 06:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the same when trying to obtain an animal from their compound,cant have him because of this,that the other,your gardens too small,your kids too old, you are fat etc, then they put the animal down !

surely a small garden is better than being with the big man upstairs !
Old 11 November 2010, 06:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And yet, they have turned out three times for me, once for an injured starling and twice for injured/sick hedgehogs.
Old 11 November 2010, 06:51 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well,lets be realistic,all those animals just let go back into the wild once fixed,cats/dogs dont
Old 11 November 2010, 08:27 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Lee, my mate is in exactly the same position as you at the mo. Rang me last night to say a grey cat has turned up on her doorstep. I told her not to bother with the RSPCA, but to take her to the vet, to see if she's chipped, and also they usually have a 'lost and found' board. She took her to the vet today. No chip. She's about 12 years old, teeth are knackered (one fell out when the vet touched it). I think she's just got lost and must belong to someone.

As for Jack.........have his bollocks off anyway. The CPL will give you a voucher if he's a stray (we did this last year with a stray that turned up).
Old 11 November 2010, 09:10 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Lee, my mate is in exactly the same position as you at the mo. Rang me last night to say a grey cat has turned up on her doorstep. I told her not to bother with the RSPCA, but to take her to the vet, to see if she's chipped, and also they usually have a 'lost and found' board. She took her to the vet today. No chip. She's about 12 years old, teeth are knackered (one fell out when the vet touched it). I think she's just got lost and must belong to someone.

As for Jack.........have his bollocks off anyway. The CPL will give you a voucher if he's a stray (we did this last year with a stray that turned up).

My Vet must have been busy, no call today. I will ring tomorrow. If he can't or won't. I will have to get another Vet.
Jack is adorable, but stinks
Old 11 November 2010, 09:12 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
My Vet must have been busy, no call today. I will ring tomorrow. If he can't or won't. I will have to get another Vet.
Jack is adorable, but stinks

He speaks very highly of you!
Old 11 November 2010, 09:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Poor bu66er, he thinks his luck is in being rescued only to have his boll0x chopped off

He'll be much better off for it!
Old 11 November 2010, 09:16 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Poor bu66er, he thinks his luck is in being rescued only to have his boll0x chopped off
Evil eh
Old 11 November 2010, 09:16 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by oldsplice
He speaks very highly of you!
He won't next week
Old 11 November 2010, 09:20 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
He won't next week

Bless him!
Old 11 November 2010, 09:20 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

I've got the RSPCA head office just down the road from me, its a stunning building
Old 11 November 2010, 09:24 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Lee, has this been put on facebook or other networking sites? If not can you post your location and I will put a link on FB to see if that gets a responce.
Old 11 November 2010, 09:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Could you not superglue them back on if someone claims him?
Old 11 November 2010, 09:31 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by 360ste
Lee, has this been put on facebook or other networking sites? If not can you post your location and I will put a link on FB to see if that gets a responce.
Yeah, thanks. I posted his pic the other day, and said he was abandoned.
Heard nothing.
I am pleased to be honest, we love him already. We really need him "done" though, as we have another cat and a dog and he is a bit feisty at the mo'
The German Shepherd is a bit wary of our cat as it is, and another one may just tip him over the edge
Old 11 November 2010, 09:45 PM
--------
Scooby Regular

What people dont realise is that their local RSPCA rescue centre (there are only 3-4 rescue centres/animal hospitals actually funded by the RSPCA throughout the whole of the UK) is NOT funded by the RSPCA,it is effectively a "franchise"who have to fund themselves through LOCAL charity shops and LOCAL fundraising,each rescue centre is allocated an area which they can raise funds in (to avoid 2 rescue centres working in the same area). Not all centres can look after all animals,the one I work in can only deal with cats and small animals, rabbits,birds,rats,mice etc. and regularly turn away dogs.When the centre is full (quite often, as they do have a limit as to how many animals they can take)they turn away ALL animals only taking in the sickest of the sick.The centre I work at WILL NOT turn away an (any) animal that is dying,the tears shed at the end of the day are an indication of the frustration shared by the staff at the(underfunded) centre's across the UK.This is'nt an excuse fer the s***ty attitude reported on here (I guess every company has it's share of W**kers),just don't assume that we are better off without the RSPCA,unfortunatly the RSPCA cannot look after EVERY un-wanted pet.I guess there should be stricter control over pet ownership.
Old 11 November 2010, 09:51 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

He's probably packing his bags right now thinking sod this i'm better off a stray, at least i'll have my knackers in tact! I hope I never get rescued and taken in as lost
I wonder if his husky little mew will go a bit more high pitched after the deed is done
Old 11 November 2010, 09:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by --------
What people dont realise is that their local RSPCA rescue centre (there are only 3-4 rescue centres/animal hospitals actually funded by the RSPCA throughout the whole of the UK) is NOT funded by the RSPCA,it is effectively a "franchise"who have to fund themselves through LOCAL charity shops and LOCAL fundraising,each rescue centre is allocated an area which they can raise funds in (to avoid 2 rescue centres working in the same area). Not all centres can look after all animals,the one I work in can only deal with cats and small animals, rabbits,birds,rats,mice etc. and regularly turn away dogs.When the centre is full (quite often, as they do have a limit as to how many animals they can take)they turn away ALL animals only taking in the sickest of the sick.The centre I work at WILL NOT turn away an (any) animal that is dying,the tears shed at the end of the day are an indication of the frustration shared by the staff at the(underfunded) centre's across the UK.This is'nt an excuse fer the s***ty attitude reported on here (I guess every company has it's share of W**kers),just don't assume that we are better off without the RSPCA,unfortunatly the RSPCA cannot look after EVERY un-wanted pet.I guess there should be stricter control over pet ownership.
I've been a great supporter of the RSPCA in the past, but the attitude I received was a disgrace. They will not get another penny from me
I whole heartedly agree with you about the stricter control over pet ownership, as our new fellow was not even chipped.
I just find the whole advert about the caring etc to be a little bit over the top compared to the reality
Old 11 November 2010, 09:55 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Lee, can you put a link to your FB post as wife is into her cats and will post it up so it gets out further.
Old 11 November 2010, 09:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by 360ste
Lee, can you put a link to your FB post as wife is into her cats and will post it up so it gets out further.
oooh, thanks
D Day for his nads chop will be next week. If his owners do not come forward, he is ours.
Old 11 November 2010, 10:19 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our local centre does the best they can with limited resources, I used to walk the unwanted dogs and nearly every morning there would be unwanted animals dumped at the door. And with the chav craze for big dogs that get dumped as soon as the vets bills come in they are under more pressure than ever.
Old 11 November 2010, 11:32 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Our local centre does the best they can with limited resources, I used to walk the unwanted dogs and nearly every morning there would be unwanted animals dumped at the door. And with the chav craze for big dogs that get dumped as soon as the vets bills come in they are under more pressure than ever.
Yeah, but I wasn't asking them to take the cat. I was telling them I was prepared to give him a home and was wanting to know if they had any reports of missing cats.
He is a very handsome boy and someone must be missing him
It was there total lack of interest that pi$$ed me off

Quick Reply: RSPCA - an utter waste of space!!!!