Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Let's hear scoobynets views on this ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2010, 12:16 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Let's hear scoobynets views on this ?

Good idea / Bad idea

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...or_Three_Years
Old 11 November 2010, 12:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

good idea, full stop
Old 11 November 2010, 12:21 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Bring back the Victorian work houses and sweatshops
Old 11 November 2010, 12:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with dave about the second "offence".

My eldest hasn't been offered ANYTHING in 9 months out of work, except bits and pieces he's found himself, all short-term temporary. There is a VAST difference, once again, between jobs available in the SE and up here. Despite what that Liar Blair said.

What boils my p*ss around here is that 99% of the jobs at the so-called jobcentres plus are via an agency, and so are paid at around 75% of the going rate, or less.

And as for making people pick litter etc for £60 a week, I look forward to the first person taking the government to court for not paying minimum wage
Old 11 November 2010, 12:49 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best one i had in the job centre was them trying to get me to apply as a plumber even though i'm a sparky, i was told there nearly the same you should be able to wing it. so i can see i would of had a strike straight away for that one, not the most thought out idea if you ask me.
Old 11 November 2010, 12:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Good idea. Get the workshy off the sofa and away from the telly, pub etc.
Old 11 November 2010, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I didnt quite catch it on the news

A, Was it a whole 3 YEARS before anything would be implemented

B , What was the thing about 35p per pound earned thing about....?
Old 11 November 2010, 01:29 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Agreed about the second "offence"

Drop that.

and also drop the three strikes bollox.

One stike on the other two and you lose your benefits for 3 years.

after that if you have another offence - no benefits for life !

Namby pamby liberals
Old 11 November 2010, 01:34 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by hutton_d
In general a good idea. But "... There will be three key offences: refusing a job, failing to apply for a position when told to do so by a job seeker advisor or failing to turn up for a placement interview. ..."

Two of the *offences* are fine but the second one is extremely dubious as most *job seeker advisors* are a complete waste of space. Job Centres don't get you jobs, they tick boxes and get you to sign on. Full stop.

Dave
my missus has just had an interview with the job centre cos she is being made redundant next april and they expect her to look for work within a 1.5 hour travelling time from her home address, WTF, no one (except MD's who work a 3 day week for 120k) should be made to travel 1.5 hours to work and the same back again it would cost in the region of 300 quid a month to do the commute, its simply not worth it!

She expressed that to the "advisor" who told her she was being difficult and to play by the rules or get sweet fa!

I went down there but the "advisor" wouldnt speak to me, the *****!

the sort of people who use the job centre arent massive earners (most under 20k i reckon), who in their right mind would travel 3 hours a day for 1500 a month minus 300 travelling costs?

The criteria is very unrealistic!
Old 11 November 2010, 01:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
In general a good idea. But "... There will be three key offences: refusing a job, failing to apply for a position when told to do so by a job seeker advisor or failing to turn up for a placement interview. ..."

Two of the *offences* are fine but the second one is extremely dubious as most *job seeker advisors* are a complete waste of space. Job Centres don't get you jobs, they tick boxes and get you to sign on. Full stop.

Dave
id certainly agree with this , well anyway of the job centre people i dealt with 25 years ago .
Al these ****es did was to read the job card out to you and then telephone the employer
Old 11 November 2010, 01:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This country is certainly not in the position that it can afford to pay people who are not prepared to work. Paying larger benefits than people can earn is a big mistake too of course.

Les
Old 11 November 2010, 04:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

If this applies to long term scroungers who make a living out of claiming benefits. I am all for it.
But, I sincerely hope it does not apply to the poor folks, through no fault of their own, are made redundant and struggle to get a job they are used to doing.
A friend of mine lost his job 2 months ago, and he said he is being hounded by the Job seekers allowance folks, to do voluntary work until he gets another job. He has worked all his life and paid his taxes, yet he says he feels like they are treating like a long term lazy ar$e
Old 11 November 2010, 04:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It will only lead to the feckless and lazy lifestyle unemployed going for interviews and ****ing the interview up or if they get the job being bad at the job, poor timekeeping rude, etc and loosing the job.

something needs putting in place to pick this up and punish accordingly so they are literally forced to work!
Old 11 November 2010, 06:07 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lee247
If this applies to long term scroungers who make a living out of claiming benefits. I am all for it.
But, I sincerely hope it does not apply to the poor folks, through no fault of their own, are made redundant and struggle to get a job they are used to doing.
A friend of mine lost his job 2 months ago, and he said he is being hounded by the Job seekers allowance folks, to do voluntary work until he gets another job. He has worked all his life and paid his taxes, yet he says he feels like they are treating like a long term lazy ar$e
But he's worth targeting because he's used to working...

tick the box, next !

IMHO

dunx
Old 11 November 2010, 07:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Good idea. Get the workshy off the sofa and away from the telly, pub etc.
wish I gor enough moolah to afford the pub when I didn't have a job I've obviously not played the system like everyone else on the dole
Old 11 November 2010, 07:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

About time but will never happen imo, next the unemployed will want min wage for doing work and all the council workers will be laid off as they can get the work done by the unemployed..

Also if you are unemplyed and doing community work are you then employed because you are working....
Old 11 November 2010, 11:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Very bad idea ,

anyone who's been through the redundancy mill, will know what its like,

All sweetness and light when there advising you of the options..

reach 12 week's, and it changes from what job will suit you and were

helping, to you have to take ANY job.

And all the help and travel costs paid for interviews, yea right, i'm still

£30 down, which i had to take out of my weekly pittance to attend 2 job

interviews i didnt get.

Mart
Old 11 November 2010, 11:28 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCtRg6mOVk
Old 11 November 2010, 11:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
my missus has just had an interview with the job centre cos she is being made redundant next april and they expect her to look for work within a 1.5 hour travelling time from her home address, WTF, no one (except MD's who work a 3 day week for 120k) should be made to travel 1.5 hours to work and the same back again it would cost in the region of 300 quid a month to do the commute, its simply not worth it!

She expressed that to the "advisor" who told her she was being difficult and to play by the rules or get sweet fa!

the sort of people who use the job centre arent massive earners (most under 20k i reckon), who in their right mind would travel 3 hours a day for 1500 a month minus 300 travelling costs?

Unrealistic? I pay around £300 a month to get in and out of work and I certainly don't earn £20k a year I'm afraid. As for travel times, anywhere from half an hour to an hour depending on the time of year. I think the advisor is actually being quite realistic.
Old 12 November 2010, 12:45 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by belliott69
the best one i had in the job centre was them trying to get me to apply as a plumber even though i'm a sparky, i was told there nearly the same you should be able to wing it. so i can see i would of had a strike straight away for that one, not the most thought out idea if you ask me.
Don't do this to yourself. Your post has at least 16 errors in 63? words. If I am reading your application, it tells me 25% of everything you do is a mistake. Sounds like a time served plumber to me
Old 12 November 2010, 01:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Very bad idea ,

anyone who's been through the redundancy mill, will know what its like,

All sweetness and light when there advising you of the options..

reach 12 week's, and it changes from what job will suit you and were

helping, to you have to take ANY job.

And all the help and travel costs paid for interviews, yea right, i'm still

£30 down, which i had to take out of my weekly pittance to attend 2 job

interviews i didnt get.

Mart
I think you are describing the workshy here. I was made redundant from a 40k a year salary with another 20k in perks as an operations director (all suit and talk, never break a sweat.) My payoff was about a grand. After 4 days I had secured a positon in an abbatoir 30 miles away as a "pest control technician" (killing rats). It didn't even have a salary. I was paid 3 quid a dead rat, and had to provide my own gear. I didn't have any traps or poison, and couldn't afford to buy any, so I stood at the skin skips with a spade and beat the **** out of everything that moved. You don't always have a choice to select an employment that fits your self delusions, but in my mind, the sh1ttest job in the world earning **** all is beter than being a work shy dole sponger.(As it turned out - they no longer required my services after two weeks.... there were no more rats)
Old 12 November 2010, 06:46 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8WRX

Buy her a bike and get her to cycle there and back. It will help her lose some weight in the process
Old 12 November 2010, 10:16 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm for it. It's about time some of these feckless people take responsibility for their own welfare rather than making a career of relying on the state and it is group who are the main target of the 3 strike rule so I don't see an issue with this 3 strike rule. Don't see an issue with point 2 either, if told to apply for a job by the job seeker adviser, apply for it, doesn't mean you'll get it, but you've fulfilled the requirement, what's the problem with that?

With regards to the minimum wage issue, the state will not cut off benefits as soon as you get a job, you will still receive benefits on top of the pay from the job. The idea being that it will make it less attractive to rely solely on the capped benefits.

Whilst there are many people out there all with differing circumstances, it is impossible to expect a system to cater for everyone. I appreciate that it can be difficult looking past personal circumstances and excuses or reasons why it won't work if you're directly affected, but look at the wider picture of what the Government is trying to achieve and that is changing the ethics of long term benefit claimants to go back into work, even if it means them screaming and shouting about it. and for those contemplating living permanently off benefits a less viable option.

I moved to find work and commute 1.5 hours each way per day and pay over £300 on travel per month.
Old 12 November 2010, 11:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You have to admire any man that can list Ratcatcher on his CV
Old 12 November 2010, 11:38 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Unrealistic? I pay around £300 a month to get in and out of work and I certainly don't earn £20k a year I'm afraid. As for travel times, anywhere from half an hour to an hour depending on the time of year. I think the advisor is actually being quite realistic.
maybe we are lucky then, i have never travelled more than 6 miles to work and that took 20 mins, i currently walk 10 mins to work, as does the missus.

We are not used to commuting or the costs involved!
Old 12 November 2010, 12:17 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Don't do this to yourself. Your post has at least 16 errors in 63? words. If I am reading your application, it tells me 25% of everything you do is a mistake. Sounds like a time served plumber to me

as you can tell i'm more of a hands on person, never been great at this writing lark.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It seems fair on the face of it. The country can't afford to keep throwing mony at the problem and it looks as though the arrangements should cover as well as encouraging those who don't want to get off the settee and away from the plasma to do some work for a change.

We shall have to see if there is any small print that we dont know about.

Les
Old 12 November 2010, 04:42 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Bizarrely, my mate who's a decorator fell over and bust his shoulder 14 weeks ago.
He's self employed but has been able to claim incapacity benefit to help pay his rent etc.

He's had to go for a 'test' to see if he's capable of work - he failed as he can lift his arm ALMOST level with his chest and therefore is 'able to work'.

Now, he's got lots of customers waiting for him to go and work for them, it's not as if he's sponging - this is the first time in 30 years he's claimed for anything.
He'd rather be working than sat doing nothing all day.

His benefits are now being stopped (or cut - I can't remember which off hand).

Seems this is being aimed at the wrong people.

Quick Reply: Let's hear scoobynets views on this ?