Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Windows 7 Phone interface

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2010, 02:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Windows 7 Phone interface

I have to say that it's very nice indeed. Not just a bad copy of iOS like Android or still in the dark ages like Blackberry.

As we know though it's all about the apps, hopefully they can deliver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtX0r1plsE
Old 09 November 2010, 02:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it all about apps? I have only had to download one app for my blackberry, generally because it does everything a phone needs to do at quite a high standard.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:44 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to say its not as good as it looks I'm afraid. Have used one for a few days and apart from Office integration, sharepoint word etc, the rest is a bit ordinary for me.

I also feel M$ have missed a trick with this one and could have done a lot better. Too many things are "Coming Soon"

But as we all know you shouldnt touch a Microsoft O/S unit SP3 :P

The Samsung Phone screen quality is awesome though. No other phone gets close to it.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Is it all about apps? I have only had to download one app for my blackberry, generally because it does everything a phone needs to do at quite a high standard.
That's fine if all you want to do is make and take a call and send emails. Unfortunately this is 2010 not 1990 and most of us are enjoying carrying one device that fulfils multiple roles. You should try joining up in this decade, might change your life.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Oakers
Got to say its not as good as it looks I'm afraid. Have used one for a few days and apart from Office integration, sharepoint word etc, the rest is a bit ordinary for me.

I also feel M$ have missed a trick with this one and could have done a lot better. Too many things are "Coming Soon"

But as we all know you shouldnt touch a Microsoft O/S unit SP3 :P

The Samsung Phone screen quality is awesome though. No other phone gets close to it.
Don't write it off yet, the iPhone was a bit like a Jamz's Blackberry when it first came out, made calls, browsed the web and did email.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:52 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

explain to me what i'm missing out on?
Old 09 November 2010, 03:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Whats the "real world" battery life? Or is it as power hungry as most other smartphone OSs (apps and all ).
Old 09 November 2010, 03:06 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

The battery life is pretty good, even on the Samsung. It's Multitasking is too poor to allow too many apps running at the same time so no battery life taken up from those. I guess if you leave Bluetooth, Wireless and GPS on all the time then the battery would go as quick as others.

So a standard user would get a weekends work out of it.
Old 09 November 2010, 03:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

explain to me what i'm missing out on?
Have a look in the app store, something for everyone in there.
Old 09 November 2010, 03:39 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Have a look in the app store, something for everyone in there.
thats a bit of a cop out response. I'd still like you to explain whats I am missing out on?

Do you mean I'm missing out on paying for gimmicks and games for children to play on my smartphone?
Old 09 November 2010, 04:15 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

That's fine if all you want to do is make and take a call and send emails. Unfortunately this is 2010 not 1990 and most of us are enjoying carrying one device that fulfils multiple roles. You should try joining up in this decade, might change your life.
+1
Old 09 November 2010, 04:31 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

thats a bit of a cop out response. I'd still like you to explain whats I am missing out on?

Do you mean I'm missing out on paying for gimmicks and games for children to play on my smartphone?
You've played this tune on everyone other phone thread, if you have no interest in the smartphones and the immense possibilities that they offer then stick with your blackberry.

As a basic phone and email device it is probably one of the best devices out there.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:40 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Thats great but neither of you have been able to tell me what i'm missing out on?
Old 09 November 2010, 04:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

How am I supposed to know what you'd like? There's a world of choices. Me, I use my iPhone extensively for Paragliding, I have live tracking feeding to a server that stores my paragliding flights in a competition format, I have an app that tells me where in the world is flyable factoring in Wind Direction and Current Location. I have a GPS program that cost £1.79 - free version works just as well - that's replaced a £300 Garmin. That's just one activity enhanced by my telephone!
Old 09 November 2010, 04:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

So really, I'm not missing out on anything and its not really about the apps?
Old 09 November 2010, 05:03 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

So really, I'm not missing out on anything and its not really about the apps?
My Dad is still happy with his VHS recorder and doesnt think he's missing out by not having Sky+ HD.

We're all different.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Me, I use my iPhone extensively for Paragliding,
now you really are taking the p1ss Jack -- i have tried Paragliding with an iphone and it can't be done -- the areodynamics are all wrong

(in fact you can't paraglide with any of Jobsworths products - although you can waterski with a ipad)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 09 November 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

How am I supposed to know what you'd like? There's a world of choices. Me, I use my iPhone extensively for Paragliding, I have live tracking feeding to a server that stores my paragliding flights in a competition format, I have an app that tells me where in the world is flyable factoring in Wind Direction and Current Location. I have a GPS program that cost £1.79 - free version works just as well - that's replaced a £300 Garmin. That's just one activity enhanced by my telephone!
All fine and dandy until you get to the point you can't carry out your activity without the aid of some tech or another.

My grand plan is to launch a virus against all satnav system so I can have the roads to myself
Old 09 November 2010, 05:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have a BB Curve, enforced by work, tried to buy myself an Iphone 4 the other day but I was told I could get work email but I couldnt use my Orange BB sim in it and would have to pay the bill or put it on PAYG, so I am into what you can do with it but the Blackberries arent that basic really, it will play videos, Mp3, does GPS navigation, has a web browser and does email very nicely, you can get apps should you so desire.

Ok, its clunky but its not exactly a Nokia 3310 in terms of features, an Iphone or HTC is much nicer but the main downside for me is that you cant get Angry Birds on the BB

Am waiting for an enormous "but" to crop up in terms of Jacks view on this, its coming, I tell ya !
Old 09 November 2010, 05:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hutton_d
So, when will we see it on the iPhone then .... ?

Dave
I see what you're getting at, superior hardware and class beating connectivity but running Windows, I wouldn't rule it out, I run Windows on my Macs and Apple encourage it. I guess it'll be up to Microsoft but to be honest I can't see them making it available in the app store.

It would be difficult enough with Android, I know Google tout it as open source, you can download and build it yourself, but dig a bit and you'll find that's not the truth, the download you get it hardly what you find in the high street, if you're not Google's special friend you don't get the full sandwich.
Old 09 November 2010, 06:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
All fine and dandy until you get to the point you can't carry out your activity without the aid of some tech or another.

My grand plan is to launch a virus against all satnav system so I can have the roads to myself
I see what you're saying and agree, I see people flying off of mountains with so many screens it blocks the view, most of the time my iPhone is in my pocket either tracking live if I have a data connection or offline with Motion X GPS. If I'm having a corker of a day I might pull it out now and then and check Memory Map to make sure I'm not entering airspace.

I've seen people flying with iPads!! That's a bit OTT.
Old 09 November 2010, 07:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

This new Windows 7 phone is actually game changing though

Because if i remember correctly, its integrated with xbox live, and gives you achievements on your profile
Old 09 November 2010, 07:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You're so right Micky. Microsoft already have a very strong foothold in the livingroom, a magnitude stronger than Apple with the Apple TV. Games could be changed.
Old 09 November 2010, 09:05 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

It would be difficult enough with Android, I know Google tout it as open source, you can download and build it yourself, but dig a bit and you'll find that's not the truth, the download you get it hardly what you find in the high street, if you're not Google's special friend you don't get the full sandwich.
The Android O/S is by far the most comprehensive of all 3. If you know what your doing. If you area Techy geek you can do things with the Android that Apple and M$ cant even scratch the top off. Out of the box is pretty standard.
If you like nice polished apps that you can share with your Mum then you stick to mainstream.
Old 09 November 2010, 09:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Any examples? What can the techy geek do with Android that Apple can't do with iOS?
Old 09 November 2010, 09:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Most of the apps for techy stuff (on iphone) tend to be on Cydia, not the app store.
Just got iBluetooth to enable the BT transfer of pics etc to my Mac - a novelty!!!
Old 09 November 2010, 09:35 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

increase processor speed
send group texts
wireless access point
multiple exchange mailboxes from same server
multiple calenders from same server
change icons
change notifications
change animated boot sequences
re partition SD Cards to improve memory allocation for extra apps
multiple web browsers (just coz you can)
cant be bothered to mention flash (WP7 cant do html5 or flash)

you can even run a WP7 profile on your android, not sure why you would want to though.

blah blah blah...nothing you dont already know.......there is nothing an iphone can do that a android cant. Bespoke apps dont count
Old 09 November 2010, 09:44 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I can do group texts on my iphone?

anyway, let's NOT turn this into ANOTHER iphone-bashing thread. There's plenty of those already
And tbh, it's getting boring.

This new Windows phone looks interesting - need to have a look at it in a bit more depth. My big concern is on the back of the "HD" range of phones, is that they're getting bigger in size

I really hope this works for Microsoft, just to get them back in the game. The BIG thing is that all the competition encourages them ALL to up their game. We, the consumers, win
Old 09 November 2010, 09:50 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

No you cant. you can send a text to more than 1 person at a time, just keep adding them. but not via a group. e.g a group of contacts from outlook.

not bashing the iphone at all, I have the 4 and love it. I just know what the Android is capable of, especially on the big htc devices.

The WP7 will in time be good. The Orange version I have my hands on is ok. Shame Orange are allowed to put their stuff on it.

Quick Reply: Windows 7 Phone interface