Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

dogs fitting

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 09:58 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dogs fitting

very frightning experiance tonight, out beautifull 5 yr old chocolate lab frightened the life out of us

he got out of bed ran down the hallway we thought was chasing something so we got up and went out and the poor fella was by the front door on the floor fitting shaking froming at the mouth and had weed himself, lasted a couple min, really frightnened the life out of us, i held my hand on him to comfert him, when he calmed down i thought he was gone as for a min i thought he stopped breathing, as you would expect took a few mins to come round and get the glazed stare emptyness from his eyes, but hes fine now, a good look over and 100 yard walk up the road hes fine, gonna sleep downstairs tonight incase it happnes again.

called emergency vets hes going in moro but i know it can be a normal ish thing with some dogs hopefully i can press for a blood check just incase, but oh my god is something like that frightning.
Old 08 November 2010, 10:22 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I am so sorry to hear this i have friends who have had dogs that fit and it is a terrible experience for the owner, once you know what he is suffering from it would worth letting the breeder know as certain types of fitting are genetic and some breeders try to avoid breeding from blood lines with dogs that fit. That helps prevent other people and dogs suffering like this.

I know that a lot of dogs can have the fitting controlled with drugs so hopefully your dog will be ok.
Old 08 November 2010, 10:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare, hope all's easily remedied and better again soon!
Old 08 November 2010, 11:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother in law had a Chocolate Lab that had fits, she had a healthy and happy 16 years so get him
to the vets, scary but probably very treatable and not as bad as it seems.
Old 08 November 2010, 11:02 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girls dad has a cocker spaniel that does this. Its on pills from the vet to help and that seems to have had a positive effect. Its went from having quite a few fits each year to barely any at all.

Hopefully you get a similar outcome.
Old 09 November 2010, 08:15 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

My mum took a rspca rescue dog in knowing that it suffered from fits and it cost her a fortune each month for drugs. She knew what she was letting herself in for though, she just said it was unlikely anybody else would want her knowing it would cost so much. The dog was lovely and fits were rare providing the drugs were administered correctly. My mum could tell if she was about to fit and got the drugs down its neck sharpish.
Old 09 November 2010, 08:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Me mams dog has taken to fitting , well at least 3 times up to now - he was as stray but hes quite young apparently

Quack hasnt found out whether its diet parasites genetics or just the heat ( its been quite warm this summer in sw france )
Old 09 November 2010, 08:48 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Worth a check - dogs have a nerve (literally ) behind their ears that when pressed can immobilise them in a manner similar to a fit, just check that their collar isn't too tight and pushing into the area around the base of their ears, like a wizards sleeve - you should be able to 'insert three fingers comfortably' between the collar and the dogs skin.
Old 09 November 2010, 09:01 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Never seen it on a dog, but my old man is epileptic and it is a horrible thing to have to watch as you feel so helpless. All you can do is make sure they don't hurt themselves, never restrain them though. If a fit lasts longer than 10 mins, call the emergency vet.
I know that it can be controlled with drugs, but never cured I'm afraid.
Hope he is ok.
Old 09 November 2010, 10:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have never seen a dog having a fit, only a human. It must have been really frightening. I hope the vet can do something for his condition.

Les