Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

American Style Fridge Freezers.

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 03:48 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question American Style Fridge Freezers.

Seems a bit of a minefield....

The likes of Samsung, LG, etc. look really good and offer value for money but then reading reviews it seems like it's not a case of if they'll break down but when

Should I pay the extra and get a German branded one, the Bosch/Siemens/Neff group seem to have a good offerings but still pricey compared to the Korean stuff.

Want one with ice maker and water dispenser.

Interested to hear the views of the SNet collective What have you got? Pleased with it? Would / wouldn't buy again?
Old 08 November 2010, 03:56 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i have a Neff K5920 and it's still going strong 1 year in.

we use the cold drinking water constantly and, during the summer, the ice chip dispenser too - nice in a glass of wine on a hot day
Old 08 November 2010, 04:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We;ve got a Samsung; Its not a American side-by side, but its one of their upper end ones; The compressor is very noisy; I've installed air conditioners with quieter out door units that can cool a large room, let alone fridge. Other than that its ok.

LG at least make thier own compressors and are more widespread so I think I'd have more faith in them (Neff/Bosch/Siemens etc don't; they use Danfoss IIRC).

I opted for one without a water dispenser - after seeing the manky mould that can grow in them, I thought better of it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 November 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 04:09 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Im using LG fridge freezer with water/ice dispenser. Top quality and good value. and comes with a 2 year warrenty from LG not the usual 12. LG are a decent brand now also bought there washer dryer both set me back £1600 8 months ago that was with 5 year cover on the washer dryer as they are sumtimes unreliable but apparantly according to numerous sales reps i spoke to LG are second to only meila i think it was for washer dryers now.
Old 08 November 2010, 04:13 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
We;ve got a Samsung; Its not a American side-by side, but its one of their upper end ones; The compressor is very noisy; I've installed air conditioners with quieter out door units that can cool a large room, let alone fridge. Other than that its ok.

LG at least make thier own compressors and are more widespread so I think I'd have more faith in them (Neff/Bosch/Siemens etc don't; they use Danfoss IIRC).

I opted for one without a water dispenser - after seeing the manky mould that can grow in them, I thought better of it.
Should have mentioned that, it's got to be quiet, well at least as quiet as one can be. We have an open plan kitchen / dining / living area and the fridge freezer will sit just outside of the kitchen space. Don't want it to spoil evening TV viewing etc.
Old 08 November 2010, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

We have a samsung side-by-side at the French house, which means it only gets used SOME of tyhe time and then only warm Easter, Whit and 6 weeks in the summer.

Having said that, it's been pretty good, the ice maker and cold water is great and there is a door in the fridge door so you can take out bottles without letting all the cold air out.

We don't have space for one here in the UK though
Old 08 November 2010, 04:43 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

My LG one is quiet.
Old 08 November 2010, 05:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

My LG is very noisy, and has very poor temperature control. With the fridge side on the warmest it will go, it still freezes items placed in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Can't remember if it's a dual compressor model.

Another member of the family has the same model, and it's the same, compressor went on their's at 18 months old.

Looks nice but can't rec LG I'm afraid.
Old 08 November 2010, 05:19 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

My Daewoo is excellent 10 years old no worries and you can get 48 cans of beer in the door alone!!!
Old 08 November 2010, 05:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...23755-pdt.html

I had something similar to that by Samsung when I had the house. It was the only piece of furniture or house hold crap that my ex let me choose. I loved that fridge. I could fit an entire crate of beer on one shelf and had decent cold water and ice all year round.

When we split up, I missed the fridge more.

Mine ran quiet enough.
Old 08 November 2010, 08:10 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Our Sammy got tossed about in the container on the trip back from Oz, dented to ****, still works like a charm and acts as a beer fridge/spare freezer in the garage, similar to the one above but without the built in lemon teasmade.
Old 08 November 2010, 08:40 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

We've got an Amana Precision side by side. Very Quiet. It does Chilled water, Cubed Ice / Crushed Ice. Has different "Zones" so beer / wine is as chilled as you like and butter is still easy to spread straight from fridge...
Old 08 November 2010, 09:52 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Had a Samsung for 6 years now, still working fine - touch wood!

Thought about a proper American one, but they were twice the price. I would buy another Samsung without a second thought; wouldn't be without the ice maker.
Old 08 November 2010, 10:19 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I would stay clear of the Bosch, if they break, they cost a feckin arm and two legs for spare parts.
Old 08 November 2010, 10:22 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Amana comes with 5 year full warranty - parts and labour - after that £60 a year covers parts.
Old 09 November 2010, 10:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Our Hotpoint one is very quiet and has been fully reliable. Excellent value.

Les
Old 09 November 2010, 01:39 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Samsung, american style side by side. Digital thermometer control on the front, plus a separate section inside the fridge that you can make cooler. (Control has a childlock).

Veg lasts ages!

Chilled water dispenser, cubed or crushed ice.

Love it, impressive looking, quiet, does a good job.

Filter has to replaced every 10 months or so, about £23

Negs
- If you don't use the ice that often you really should turn the ice maker off, otherwise mine creates a glacier.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:09 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Rangemaster American style side by side, has cold water dispenser and ice either chipped or cubes. We've had ours about 2 1/2 years with no problems. It is fecking heavy though, the doors come off when you install it, they need three people to carry them and the carcass needs about six. So they do need to be on a good solid floor. Fantastic piece of kit. We had that one to match the cooker and hood which are also Rangemaster.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:14 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have got a stainless steel smeg one that is nice, but it weights a forkin ton!
Old 09 November 2010, 07:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

It is all about the ice makers

My parents had one, you got to choose if you wanted ice cubes, or this kind of mashed up slush type stuff, awesome

I would have one if i had the room for it.
Old 09 November 2010, 08:57 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

We've got a Whirlpool. Crushed or cubed ice, chilled water. Nearly 2 years old now and going great.
Old 10 November 2010, 10:54 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Worth looking into the prices of the replacement filters as some of the Samsung & LG ones can be expensive. We've always sold a lot more Whirlpool ones than anything else and they are generally good quality and reliable.
The Bosch Siemens (Both out the same factory) are also very good, cost more to purchase but do offer a 2 year warranty as standard. They are NOT expensive to repair as has been mentioned above, if anything the spares are cheaper than the Whirlpools.
As for Samsung and LG. We too have had complaints about the noisy compressors on some we've sold. Making sure they are totally level when installing goes a long way to sorting this out. However they can be difficult to obtain spares quickly.

Personal choice would be either a Whirlpool or Bosch.
Old 12 November 2010, 10:28 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

We've had this type for around 2 years. Fantastic and very quiet.

http://www.boschappliances.com.au/ap...?source=browse
Old 12 November 2010, 02:07 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments so far.

Leaning towards a Bosch/Siemens/Neff one. The standard LG ones have a poor write up on Which?, says the insulation isn't great (4hrs before temps get too high in a power cut), and they cost more than most to run. Side effect of the bad insulation I suspect. The couple of premium ones LG do with a fancy linear compressor which they seem to make it's key selling point are as expensive a Bosch.

I still thinking maybe a Samsung, they are significantly cheaper than Bosch, i.e. top of the range Samsung £950, top of the range Bosch £1800. I could therefore buy two Samsungs in the lifetime of one Bosch. Would be bad if it's noisy though. Which? don't have many write ups on the new Samsung ones but a lot of their other fridge freezers are given best buys. There's a lot of stuff for and against elsewhere on the 'net. It's always a biased view though as people really only tend to post on review sits if they've had a bad experience not a good one.

I think the Rangemaster one mentioned is a re-badged Maytag. Not sure if they're any good or not, not a brand I've come across much. The Amana looks good too but ££££

Oh well sure whatever I get will be fine
Old 12 November 2010, 03:21 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Got Samsung(american style) in Gloss Black .Had it for 5 yrs or so now and its been no probs .Ice ,water ,plenty big enough .Would have another .
Old 13 January 2011, 05:27 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Well finally made a decision and bought one, took a while as the extension cleared us out financially for a month or two. And the winner was.......

A Panasonic: http://intelligent-living.panasonic....s/nr-b53v1.php

Bit of a punt as it seems like they are new to Europe with domestic appliances but have supposedly been selling this stuff in the Far East for years and are a respected brand there.

The thing that sold it to me is that this is the most energy efficient American style fridge freezer that you can buy and claims to consume 100kWh less electricity per year than any of the others in my short list. All due to some fancy technology that rather than the compressor just being on or off it is varied instead. As a result of this it also claims to be one of the quietest.

Oh well time will tell, being delivered in a few weeks, can't wait. Paid the extra £25 for installation so that they can man-handle it into position and I don't have to risk pulling something

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 13 January 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 13 January 2011, 06:25 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Well finally made a decision and bought one, took a while as the extension cleared us out financially for a month or two. And the winner was.......

A Panasonic: http://intelligent-living.panasonic....s/nr-b53v1.php

Bit of a punt as it seems like they are new to Europe with domestic appliances but have supposedly been selling this stuff in the Far East for years and are a respected brand there.

The thing that sold it to me is that this is the most energy efficient American style fridge freezer that you can buy and claims to consume 100kWh less electricity per year than any of the others in my short list. All due to some fancy technology that rather than the compressor just being on or off it is varied instead. As a result of this it also claims to be one of the quietest.

Oh well time will tell, being delivered in a few weeks, can't wait. Paid the extra £25 for installation so that they can man-handle it into position and I don't have to risk pulling something

Looks cool, because I'm a bit sad I'd love to see a pic of the kitchen when finished
Old 13 January 2011, 07:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know if you're a costco member but they have a nice lg one with £100 off at the minute