Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

And about bloody time too!

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2010, 02:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And about bloody time too!

Long-term benefit claimants could be forced to do manual labour under proposals to be outlined by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith.

He is due to outline plans for four-week placements doing jobs like gardening and litter clearing.

He said the message would be: "Play ball or it's going to be difficult."

Under the plan, claimants thought to need "experience of the habits and routines of working life" could be put on 30-hour-a-week placements.

Anyone refusing to take part or failing to turn up on time to work could have their £65 Jobseekers' Allowance stopped for at least three months.

The Work Activity scheme is said to be designed to flush out claimants who have opted for a life on benefits or are doing undeclared jobs on the side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11704765

Chip
Old 07 November 2010, 02:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If, and it's a big if, they make this happen then it's great news and like you say... about time!!!
Old 07 November 2010, 02:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Under the plan, claimants thought to need "experience of the habits and routines of working life" could be put on 30-hour-a-week placements
That is a refreshing statement to hear from our political peers.

Certainly my local highstreet is filthy; Plenty of gum could do with being scraped off the pavement; and the gutters and gullys need all the winter leaves clearing out of them before we get mass flooding again (because they are blocked).
Old 07 November 2010, 02:53 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Lets hope this is not all talk and actually happens .
Should have been done years ago .
Old 07 November 2010, 03:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmmm....policed by who? Forced to come to work by who? Checked their attendance by who? Checked they turned up on time by who? Work checked by who?

MORE jobs for the Jobcentre people?
Old 07 November 2010, 03:43 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Long-term benefit claimants could be forced to do manual labour under proposals to be outlined by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith.

He is due to outline plans for four-week placements doing jobs like gardening and litter clearing.

Under the plan, claimants thought to need "experience of the habits and routines of working life" could be put on 30-hour-a-week placements.

Anyone refusing to take part or failing to turn up on time to work could have their £65 Jobseekers' Allowance stopped for at least three months.

The Work Activity scheme is said to be designed to flush out claimants who have opted for a life on benefits or are doing undeclared jobs on the side.

Chip
I agree that this is necessary in some cases; people who play he system and have no intention of working, however...

Isn't community services something that prisoners do? Are we now saying people looking for work are to treated the same as criminals?
And Jobseekers Allowance only last for 6 months doesn't it, so how does this measure impact upon that benefit?
Old 07 November 2010, 03:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I doubt it will ever happen but if I had a chance to vote on it I would tick YES PLEASE!
Old 07 November 2010, 04:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Won't happen.

Lefty Hoomun Rites mob will see to that.

Quote:

"Iain Duncan-Smith seems to have forgotten there is minimum wage legislation in this country and if the government is going to force the unemployed to work this is the minimum hourly rate the can pay otherwise they open themselves up to legal action."

lol
Old 07 November 2010, 04:08 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

While I agree in principle - it cost a fortune to establish the framework that administers this program.
Old 07 November 2010, 04:32 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

personally i would make them sweep the streets in teams with TOOTHBRUSHS i want value for money
Old 07 November 2010, 05:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Chip
It will never happen ECHR will have their say and put a stop to this as unfair and discriminatory.

Next chavs and chavettes will be declared a race and get full protection and immunity.

How will this e adminsterd and what cost for the translators and other associated costs alone for those that suddenly "do not speekie de eengleesh" and managers and supervisors to manage it. Then there is training and the H&S implications along with minimum wage pay. Then the icing on the cake - claims for work related injuries backs carpel tunnel, etc.

Another well though through and example of joined-up-thinking by the Dim-Con pact to rival the child benefit upper limit fiasco!

Last edited by The Zohan; 07 November 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07 November 2010, 05:49 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Default Long term unemployed forced to work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...z-workshy.html

About time! This will really pis$ off Labour voters no doubt, but it's great that long term dole-scroungers will be forced to get a job, or do community work like clearing rubbish.

Still think we need to drop these stupid Human Rights laws tho, as otherwise no doubt some scroungers will be using legal aid to sue claiming they can't do the work or whatever.
Old 07 November 2010, 05:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

And two post below this is :

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-time-too.html
Old 07 November 2010, 06:08 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
It will never happen ECHR will have their say and put a stop to this as unfair and discriminatory.

Next chavs and chavettes will be declared a race and get full protection and immunity.

How will this e adminsterd and what cost for the translators and other associated costs alone for those that suddenly "do not speekie de eengleesh" and managers and supervisors to manage it. Then there is training and the H&S implications along with minimum wage pay. Then the icing on the cake - claims for work related injuries backs carpel tunnel, etc.

Another well though through and example of joined-up-thinking by the Dim-Con pact to rival the child benefit upper limit fiasco!
So are you saying you dont think it will work then

Chip
Old 07 November 2010, 06:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...z-workshy.html

About time! This will really pis$ off Labour voters no doubt, but it's great that long term dole-scroungers will be forced to get a job, or do community work like clearing rubbish.

Still think we need to drop these stupid Human Rights laws tho, as otherwise no doubt some scroungers will be using legal aid to sue claiming they can't do the work or whatever.
Keep up will you
Old 07 November 2010, 06:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Been wanting this for ages. There is so much to be done, just walk down any street.
Old 07 November 2010, 06:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an admirable ambition but making it work could be challenging, doing it without creating a huge costly infrastructure to support it and even bigger challenge.

I have always wondered why there is litter on the streets, jobs not getting done when we are paying people to sit at home, I really hope it can be made to work and potentially if someone spends a month picking up litter it may engender some price and social responsibility so they don't drop litter in the future.

I suspect it will just end up costing a fortune and end up with gangs of ******* (not that I regard all unemployed people as *******) armed with brooms arsing about, they need to be really hard line, if you dont turn up, then you get nothing, I suspect that more effort will be put into railroading it and causing agro, righteous indignation at having to get up and do something beneath them rather than any serious work getting done, I sincerely hope that isnt the case.

I would be happy to do it if I were unemployed, as long as I got paid and had time to apply for jobs, but I dont want to sit at home smoking weed and going a the Xbox like some of the long term jobless see to do, I suppose it may cut into their opportunities for cash in hand work, robbing, breeding and sitting outside manky pubs shirtless at 11 am having a social sponsored pint.

I am turning into a bit of a Tory boy these days but I think, even if it turns to rat****, they are at least making the right noises and being realistic.
Old 07 November 2010, 06:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

So are you saying you dont think it will work then

Chip
I would like to think yes it will however the likely reality will e something different - watered down policy with little or no effect to appease the Lib Dims and Europe/ECHR.
Old 07 November 2010, 06:45 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I think your right.

Chip
Old 07 November 2010, 07:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I would be happy to do it if I were unemployed, as long as I got paid.
isn’t that the definition of a Job
Old 07 November 2010, 07:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

' Community service '

Maggie did it , nothing new!
Old 07 November 2010, 07:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Apparently, it contavenes employment law in that it would pay the "workers" around £2.20 an hour, WELL under legal minimum wage.

I'm sure no-one on here would want to see people forced to work for that sum..........would they?
Old 07 November 2010, 07:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As posted above, forcing people to work for £2.20 an hour contravenes not just EC law, human rights etc, but UK employment law.

Another REALLY well thought-out ConDem piece of legislation, then.
Old 07 November 2010, 07:47 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You forgot this one

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...oody-time.html
Old 07 November 2010, 07:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Picking up litter , bashing rocks *should* be what Crims are doing

I did community service in 1985 and learnt how to paint/decorate , although those in charge had no obligation to learn us anything, the guy in charge was qualified and wanted to pass it on ,

I believe we got about 20 quid more than dole
Old 07 November 2010, 08:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

All wrong. There is this stupid Daily Mail type concept that all folk out of work are scroungers. Well that's bollox. Many are proud people who have lost jobs as factories close for example and simply cannot find anything, I mean anything. Not all of course.

Picking up litter and the mess that society creates is work for prisoners.

Forcing others to do this is an insult to them and I don't support it. dl
Old 07 November 2010, 08:10 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
All wrong. There is this stupid Daily Mail type concept that all folk out of work are scroungers. Well that's bollox.
You may not have read the article, but the target is long term unemployed who see unemployment as a lifestyle choice, or those who have other jobs on the side.

Obviously any economy NEEDS a certain amount of unemployed people to be available to fill requirements when they arise, but there are large numbers out there who have no desire to work - or who are better off just sitting around on the dole than working.
Old 07 November 2010, 08:14 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
All wrong. There is this stupid Daily Mail type concept that all folk out of work are scroungers. Well that's bollox. Many are proud people who have lost jobs as factories close for example and simply cannot find anything, I mean anything. Not all of course.

Picking up litter and the mess that society creates is work for prisoners.

Forcing others to do this is an insult to them and I don't support it. dl
+1 M8
Old 07 November 2010, 08:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it all looks a bit weird - blame me

thread merge alert!
Old 07 November 2010, 08:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
As posted above, forcing people to work for £2.20 an hour contravenes not just EC law, human rights etc, but UK employment law.

Another REALLY well thought-out ConDem piece of legislation, then.

When you factor in their housing benefits etc then surely it will be approaching nmw. Although with the con dems about to chuck 500000 on the dole this idea should only be implemented for people who have been unemployed 2 years+.

I took my son to the park yesterday and it was full of rubbish despite there being bins everywhere. If these long term dole merchants had to pick the rubbish up maybe they would educate their kids to put it in the bins in the first place.

Quick Reply: And about bloody time too!