Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It's ok to lose at Sport

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2010, 09:34 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry It's ok to lose at Sport

My daughter is at key stage 3 at primary school & I can't believe some of the things she is being taught. First off is the creation "Crap" That the world was created in 6 days & when it rains it is "God crying"
Secondly, She is slowly being brainwashed to believe that Sport should be enjoyed and not be competitive. It is ok to come second or last as long as you have enjoyed it.
With this utter bull**** attitude now being taught it is no wonder that our ultra left wing PC, Eco warrior ing crappy country of ours is crap at most sports.
Old 15 October 2010, 09:39 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

If I have kids there's no way I'm letting them teach them anything which claims the world was created by a 'God'.
Old 15 October 2010, 09:49 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what age key stage three is (10?) but I couldn't disagree with you more Frosticles.

At that age the main focus of sport should be about playing and enjoying yourself, and learning that physical exercise can be fun. To turn it into a competitive exercise at that age is just wrong and counter-productive.

Once you get to later years in secondary school, then yes, competition should be encouraged, but still not the be-all and end-all. I don't know if you watched the program about Can England Win the Next World Cup with Gary Linekar, but one of the main problems that was highlighted, and was a major difference between our schools and the spanish schools was that we encourage the Win at all costs mentality, whereas in Spain they encourage them to enjoy football first, win second - I think it's clear to see by the results which one works!

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 15 October 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 15 October 2010, 09:58 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I just think it is brainwashing from an early age. Yes, They should enjoy sport but to say it is ok to lose is just stifling their competitiveness at an early age (8)
I just say that to come second is to be the first loser LOL. (Joke)
So, If Tom Daley at his tender age was taught that it was ok to lose and not be competitive would not have achieved the level he is now at, IE, The top. This, he achieved at the age of 13. We need more like him.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:03 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Really, is it brainwashing or is it that you live in a Christian country that actually teaches Christianity?
Old 15 October 2010, 10:12 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Really, is it brainwashing or is it that you live in a Christian country that actually teaches Christianity?
My children's school is C of E. Christianity is all about brainwashing. Full stop. For them to attend a C of E school was my wife's idea. She is in no way religious but the school has the best rating in the area.
We went to parents evening on Tuesday and I was told to "Zip my mouth" which I reluctantly did
Old 15 October 2010, 10:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Key stage three? how old is that? 12? Why can't we have Infant 1,2,3 Junior 1,2,3 then Senior etc. FFS. It was bad enough when we converted to year 5,6,7,8,9..etc.

Anyhoo, when I was that age (late primary school) I refused to do any sport and totally abstained in any sport I didn't like. If I can't win, I wouldn't compete

I was crap at football, I knew it, so I couldn't be arsed. It got me and my mum into quite some trouble Now cricket I was pretty damn good at, and I loved it. But the PE teacher always wanted to play footy. I even told him I'd bring my kit if we played cricket, but he wouldn't have any of it (respect mah authoratah).

I also abstained from reading any books that I'd considered boring/unimaginative or patronising. At one point one teacher assumed I couldn't read and put me in a thick-sh*t group to re-learn the alphabet Thankfully my mum pointed out to the teacher I have a whole back-catalogue of Roald Dahl's finest works at home, and a quick quizz on them proved I could read. God I hated that teacher, patronising b*tch bordering on a bully.

About this time in morning we'd be singing hymns in assembly and listening to readings from the new testament (children's version). You'll be glad to know I'm not brainwashed - that only affects the weak of mind. Amen.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:19 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
My children's school is C of E. Christianity is all about brainwashing. Full stop. For them to attend a C of E school was my wife's idea. She is in no way religious but the school has the best rating in the area.
We went to parents evening on Tuesday and I was told to "Zip my mouth" which I reluctantly did
Right so you've sent you kids to a Church of England School and now your complaining because they are brainwashing your children?

Christianity is not about Brainwashing, personally I think that is a very foolish statement. There are people who take Christianity a bit too far but thats not the Religions fault thats the fault of a weak mind. I'm not religious in anyway but I hate Christian views being wrote off.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:23 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Thats the biggest load of bull**** I have read in a while.

Christian country my ****.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:25 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DoZZa
Thats the biggest load of bull**** I have read in a while.

Christian country my ****.
What is the main faith of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
Old 15 October 2010, 10:29 AM
benno22
Scooby Regular

What is the main faith of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
muslim
Old 15 October 2010, 10:30 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Atheism
Old 15 October 2010, 10:34 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by benno22
muslim
Sadly not.

Atheism
If only, then we could discuss the fictional works of Stephen Hawkins in local community centres openly.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:35 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Key stage three? how old is that? 12? Why can't we have Infant 1,2,3 Junior 1,2,3 then Senior etc. FFS. It was bad enough when we converted to year 5,6,7,8,9..etc.

Anyhoo, when I was that age (late primary school) I refused to do any sport and totally abstained in any sport I didn't like. If I can't win, I wouldn't compete

I was crap at football, I knew it, so I couldn't be arsed. It got me and my mum into quite some trouble Now cricket I was pretty damn good at, and I loved it. But the PE teacher always wanted to play footy. I even told him I'd bring my kit if we played cricket, but he wouldn't have any of it (respect mah authoratah).
Wish they would also go back to the "Simple" year structures. My daughter is 8 and is in key stage 3 (9-10 year olds) She should just be in the third year as we used to know it as.

My old games teacher was also an **** like yours. I loved playing football, Cricket (Nottinghamshire colts) & Squash (County juniors) But all my teacher was interested in was athletics and Rugby (He was Welsh)
Old 15 October 2010, 10:44 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

I suppose that depends on who you speak to.

Originally Posted by benno22
muslim
The way its going, yes, you are probably not far off!

Atheism
^^ This man speaks the truth.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:46 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, of course it's OK to loose at sport.
Old 15 October 2010, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Fair enough. But if it was my son doing that he'd get a right ticking off and be made to join in rather than be selfish g3t and sit on the side lines!

Dave

Lets just say I had other "issues". It was that stage in my life when I was missing a father figure to tell me that and encourage me in the manner that you say you would. Well, I did have a dad, but he had little proper interest (instead spending weekends hungover or with whatever tart he picked up on Friday night), and palming everything off onto my mum to sort, even though she was working every hour under the sun. Yes, it made me a somewhat bitter and cynical child.

Not helped that I was in the lower pecking order within the class room heirachy. I wasn't at the bottom, the ones down there being picked last for the team were blissfully naive. Looking back I wish I was that naive, because then I wouldn't take so much exception to it.

Best years of my life....what a load of b*ll*cks

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 15 October 2010, 11:47 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Second place is first loser.
Old 15 October 2010, 11:54 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I thought teachers are there to encourage you in specific areas.Not the case at that religous school.Where do they think they are getting encouragement from ? their own imaginary god.No encouragement then aye ?.Do these religous teachers not realise, that some kids won't learn about the world and everything of it, if teachers keep parping on about religion.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 15 October 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 15 October 2010, 12:35 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

a) Key stage is not a year but a stage of educational development and focus.

b) We have just had a long thread on this.

c) I totally disagree with your comments about sport. I saw a man the other day forcing his child (about 8 or 9) to do something they did not want to do. He was bullying them so they would not be a failure. Encouragement can create even greater results than fear of failure.
Old 15 October 2010, 12:55 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The school fosters this PC try your best, its not about winning attitude into our kids.

Then I undo all their valiant efforts by mercilessly making sure that at every opportunity that my kids are taught that :

a) there are no prizes for being second
b) everyone remembers the first man on the moon
c) being competitive is important

and finally those stupid foam javelins that they have on sport days are a waste of fecking time...get a proper one.

And if they have any doubt, then a session in the back garden of football soon sorts out the losers
Old 15 October 2010, 01:00 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter is at key stage 3 at primary school & I can't believe some of the things she is being taught. First off is the creation "Crap" That the world was created in 6 days & when it rains it is "God crying"
As already said, children are told this so they have other opinions, but more so, its something easy and simple that they can relate to... a man in the sky that is god, is that not a very common conception of what god is?

Have you already told you daughter these is no such thing as Santa?
Old 15 October 2010, 01:38 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i'm having troubles with the wife at the minute as i come from a family where you are doing the sport to win, seconds not good enough and she doesn't understand why i'm like it with my sons. this country needs some competitiveness nowadays otherwise we're always going to be pansies in everything we do.
Old 15 October 2010, 01:45 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
It shouldn't be a problem. Gives you things to discuss at home. Neither myself nor the wife believe in God but our lad gets it at school. We don't flatly contradict what they say to him, just that some people believe different things. Gets them thinking for themselves rather than blindly accepting what others tell them.
We do this. My 8 year old has been given the usual god bit in school and we've gone for a similar stance.

As for its all about taking part - kids might nod willingly to a teacher or repeat it to a parent but they are not stupid and no full well its all about the winning. They nod to the teacher because its easier than having to sit in the naughty cloud for daring to have an opinion or repeated to a parent as a tester to see if the boss sees it the same way.

My daughter will come out with things she's been taught at school and the tone gives it away that shes really after clarification. We give a balanced (what we see as balanced anway) opinion and she can make up her own mind.

I'd be more concerned about the kids that have parents who force their own will onto the kids:-

You must be veggies
You must attend a Steiner school
TV rots your brain

This is even more alarming.

Last edited by EddScott; 15 October 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 15 October 2010, 01:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

KEYSTAGES:
KS1: 5-7
KS2: 7-11
KS3: 11-14
KS4: 14-16.

Blame a) the Yanks, 'cos we copied them, and
b) The Tories 'cos they thought it was clever to copy an inferior education system
Old 15 October 2010, 01:57 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
You must be veggies
You must attend a Steiner school*
TV rots your brain
Or the fascist parents who make their children eat other animals or can't be arsed to spend time with them so just plonk them in front of the TV!

*That Steiner school stuff is a bit hand-knitted!!
Old 15 October 2010, 01:58 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Have you already told you daughter these is no such thing as Santa?
Didn't need to, One of the other kids has already.
Old 15 October 2010, 02:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Or the fascist parents who make their children eat other animals or can't be arsed to spend time with them so just plonk them in front of the TV!

*That Steiner school stuff is a bit hand-knitted!!
Steiner school seems an awful lot of money for an education that doesn't actually teach reading until about 7 and first names with the teachers. The kids seems well educated I grant you but they are going to get eaten alive when they hit secondary comp at 14.

As for the facist animal eating parents - watch a childs face when you tell them what gellatine is made from - you can hear the dentist having a little cry at that one.

Last edited by EddScott; 15 October 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: It's ok to lose at Sport