Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone ever picked up a new car and its been perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2010, 03:17 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever picked up a new car and its been perfect?

Off I went to pick up my new car today and as soon as I got there I knew I would not be taking it home today

It looked like a blind man had cleaned it with an old rag, I was so disappointed almost exactly the same thing happened when I picked up my last new car 3 years ago that had a couple of stone chips and a small amount of white overspray(from another car i think), this time the car has some scratches on bonnet and the boot and nearly all of the paint work feels dirty and dull

I admit I have an eagle eye but If I buy new I want new! does no one go over these new cars with a fine tooth comb at a dealership before they are collected? or do they hope the new owner will come bounding in to the dealership sign the paperwork and speed away with out checking the car properly?

So am i just unlucky? 2 cars out of 2 have not been up to scratch and a new van I bought recently had a few problems that should have been picked up on a PDI.
Old 14 October 2010, 03:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mine went back to the dealer about 20 times int he 3 yers i had it. even went back to haev a new bodykit fitted cos they cocked it up at the factory. Seems to be the nrom with new cars now
Old 14 October 2010, 03:31 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I think you expect to much from your Perodua
Old 14 October 2010, 03:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My last new car had a pubic hair under the glass on the speedo!!!

Other than that it was fantastic!
Old 14 October 2010, 04:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A pube in the speedo, LOL

My Scoob was spot on from day 1.
Old 14 October 2010, 04:37 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Your too fussy by the sound of it .
No probs with any new car Ive had .
Old 14 October 2010, 04:38 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up my wife's new 2nd hand car from the dealer a few weeks ago immaculately detailed and waxed. I have clayed it once,washed and waxed it twice already and can't get anywhere near their finish, don't know how they do it. Mind you I did have to superglue a loose bumper strip back on, you think they might have spotted that!
Old 14 October 2010, 04:48 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

my brand new my00 turbo had 128 miles on the clock when i got it back from Prodrive.

it was spotless, but it kinda felt like prodrive used it as a pool car.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:24 PM
Murrayf99
Scooby Regular

Did u refuse delivery until sorted?

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Off I went to pick up my new car today and as soon as I got there I knew I would not be taking it home today

It looked like a blind man had cleaned it with an old rag, I was so disappointed almost exactly the same thing happened when I picked up my last new car 3 years ago that had a couple of stone chips and a small amount of white overspray(from another car i think), this time the car has some scratches on bonnet and the boot and nearly all of the paint work feels dirty and dull

I admit I have an eagle eye but If I buy new I want new! does no one go over these new cars with a fine tooth comb at a dealership before they are collected? or do they hope the new owner will come bounding in to the dealership sign the paperwork and speed away with out checking the car properly?

So am i just unlucky? 2 cars out of 2 have not been up to scratch and a new van I bought recently had a few problems that should have been picked up on a PDI.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:40 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Yep still in the dealers now, it was in there presentation room (like an indoor office that you can drive your car out of). If I was a manager I would have been embarrassed to send a car out in that condition, in fact if I was the office junior I would have been embarrassed. unless they pull out the stops and get it sorted for the middle of next week and give me some sort of apology/gift to make up for this shambles I am not going to be very happy.....
Old 14 October 2010, 05:44 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with either of my last two new cars, both very well presented and from different dealers too.
Old 14 October 2010, 06:15 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Ive had 5 cars from new, all perfect
Old 14 October 2010, 06:25 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

I work for vw and tbh 99 out of 100 cars are mint but modern water-based paint marks very easily. Is the car a dark colour by any chance??? Say black or navy blue??? Or a dark grey?? These are he colours that seem to be marked regularly!!!
Old 14 October 2010, 07:09 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Seat Leon Cupra R (225) 2004 Platinum Grey metallic.
Perfect and faultless all through my ownership until I sold it in 2006 32000 miles later.
Old 14 October 2010, 07:37 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Mini Cooper S last year - immaculate (but the dealer owner's a good mate - great price and it was one of his sales team who pulled out all the stops to impress the boss).
Old 14 October 2010, 07:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

My first scooby (MY00 turbo) was perfect. Shame I couldn't say the same about my MY05 STI
Old 14 October 2010, 08:11 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Wifes brand new Alfa GT back in 2008: Both glass in wing mirrors scratched and a missing fixing screw in dash but you kinda expect that with Alfa Romeo! There were a couple of areas of paintwork that you could tell in certain light had been cosmetically touched up. The Alfa salesman openly admitted that they have a car cosmetic place (near Bristol I think) due to the number of vehicles that arrive in from Italy scratched or scuffed etc. during the journey over
Old 14 October 2010, 09:06 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

What car are we talking about ???
Old 14 October 2010, 09:28 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Had a Clio brand new in 03 - bonnet had scratches, steering wheel was marked & drivers door had a dent. 6 trips later & a breakdown the car was sorted, sort of to my satisfaction. Basically dealers don't give a ****, generally.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:39 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a golf once, all I needed to do was put petrol in it for the three years I had it.
Old 15 October 2010, 05:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Citroen which I picked up from the factory when I was stationed in Germany tax and customs duty free, was spot on in every way as well the stunning young lady who served me!

Les
Old 15 October 2010, 06:03 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

the RS was and still is faltless
Old 15 October 2010, 06:04 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

I remember picking up a brand new fiesta ST and getting a call an hour before to tell me the car had been delivered to the dealers from there PDI workshop minus one of the side skirts...I was like WTF how did they miss that, anyway they fixed it and even gave me a free set of mats and a tank of fuel.

A few months later we picked up my wifes new fiesta (yes another dagenham dustbin) and while going over the car it became apparent the bumpers must have been painted and the stuck straight in a dustbin they were full of dirt under the laquer so off it went for both bumpers to be respayed.

Vowed after that we would never buy another new car so the wife still has the fiesta that even after 5 years has less than 20,000 miles on it and Ive got my subaru and thats the way it will be staying
Old 15 October 2010, 06:04 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

I remember picking up a brand new fiesta ST and getting a call an hour before to tell me the car had been delivered to the dealers from there PDI workshop minus one of the side skirts...I was like WTF how did they miss that, anyway they fixed it and even gave me a free set of mats and a tank of fuel.

A few months later we picked up my wifes new fiesta (yes another dagenham dustbin) and while going over the car it became apparent the bumpers must have been painted and the stuck straight in a dustbin they were full of dirt under the laquer so off it went for both bumpers to be respayed.

Vowed after that we would never buy another new car so the wife still has the fiesta that even after 5 years has less than 20,000 miles on it and Ive got my subaru and thats the way it will be staying
Old 15 October 2010, 11:37 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

My scooby was perfect when I picked it up and never went wrong.

Wifes Honda was also perfect.

All the other new vehicles I've bought have needed stuff doing from day 1.
Old 16 October 2010, 10:37 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine was delivered from IM to the dealers on a covered wagon, they unloaded it and drove it straight into the showroom.

Once surrounded by "VIP rope" barriers a "Sold" sign was added.

It looked utterly minted.

Shame I didn't look after it !

dunx
Old 16 October 2010, 10:38 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
the RS was and still is faltless
That's funny

dunx

P.S. I went to inspect my ex-bosses Vetra SRi ( one of a pair ), the bottom of the drivers side doors had no paint on them, the rear seat material was snagged, and the sales manager offered me a job ! LOL

Last edited by dunx; 16 October 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 17 October 2010, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Take it!

Les
Old 17 October 2010, 01:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Had 4 brand new Scoobs, First two were immaculate.

Third one had chipped paint on the door mirrors.

Less said about the last one the better - 03STI - poor paint, alarm not working, wrong wheels on it and so on.... never was right that car and was the most unreliable hunk of junk I have ever owned
Old 17 October 2010, 07:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Our Seat Altea had a scratch on the door mirror through to the plastic Also a very minor scuff around the glass section of the boot, although that did polish out. It was also missing its plastic engine cover (still is actually, as we've never seen the point of them so didn't bother asking about it).

When I gave its first waxing (about 45mins after picking it up - sad, I know), I found it still had a fair bit of that pre-delivery goop still on it, so needed to go over it with the paint cleaner first.

Paintwork was infact the best I've seen on a modern production car for quite some time, especially with it being black which shows up even the finest of scratches or orange peal, also the metallic pigment has perfectly even dispersal over the whole car.

Factory paint on my Golf in comparison is "blotchy" at certain angles due to the metallic pigment not being evenly distributed (although that is a known problem with VAG's reflex silver).

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 October 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever picked up a new car and its been perfect?