Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Being "at Risk or potentially outsourced" at work..

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2010, 10:21 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being "at Risk or potentially outsourced" at work..

Hi

I've worked at a large Blue Chip company for over 4 years now as a Project Manager and I enjoy my job.
During year 2 I was put at risk with some other colleagues and it took approx 8 months to come to a conclusion. In that time we were made aware that two positions would be made redundant and a restructure would go ahead with new jobs to apply for. I applied and got a job similar to what I do now - in a nutshell, a new job title...
In the **** period, we continue to work as normal with the grim reaper hovering overhead

Last December it was announced that all Project Managers and Facility Managers may potentially be outsourced by September 2010 and up until September I was again working not knowing who I could be working for but stayed focussed knowing I had a job at the end of it..
Now here we are in October and it was recently announced which companies our regional "groups" would be outsourced to. The target date for changeover is now Dec 6th (happy birthday me ).
Now in the background our dept have again been restructuring and have brought in many sub-contractors to fill in temporary gaps.
During the year I have applied for two other roles within the dept (with encouragement from seniors) and was unsuccessful. I was obviously not destined for those roles in the first place and can see they need numbers of applicants to tick the HR boxes..

The final role on the board appeared back in August and it reads the same as my own job which is pretty unique to the dept. I've been tipped off by a reliable senior that "it's mine" and they just have to go through the formalities.
Since then I've been waiting for an interview date and I've been verbally told it will be in 2 weeks time.
In the last few months the pace and amount of project work has accelarated a lot to the point of me having no choice but do longer hours to make ends meet. Ordinarily I would have no problem with this but I'm getting anxious of where I'm going to end up and am starting to feel slightly used.

My potential future boss (who I sort of work for now) and the director are currently oversees visiting sites where I have done some project work.
I really don't know what to think or what to believe but the bottom line is I'm starting to run out of steam.
Today I have taken off to come up for air as I don't want to end up fooking up my health - I've been there before a long time ago

Sorry to rabbit on but I feel better writing this out and sharing with a good community. I expect mixed opinions here..

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 14 October 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 14 October 2010, 10:30 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, no job is worth risking your health physically or mentally - if it's really that stressful for you perhaps it's time you started looking elsewhere if your company keeps on putting you through this - what guarantee do you have they wont do it again another 6 months down the line?

Easier said than done I know
Old 14 October 2010, 10:46 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Familiar story. I've been in my current tole for 8 years, and in that time we've had 3 so called "change" programmes.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:02 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Probably

Not what you want to hear but either get used to it or like others have said start looking elsewhere. This is the UK where they want you to work or burn out cause they will always get another mug to do your job if you cant hack it.

They have cut our workforce expendentially and now we are 'expected' to carry the can and just get on with it. Telecommunication company think of the stupid ad with some knobber kicking a ball at ex england football players
Old 14 October 2010, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Difficult to advise for the best, but maybe in view of what they said you may be better off waiting to see if it is really going to happen.

Depends how long you can stand it I suppose, but I understand how frustrating it must be.

Les