Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orange and T-Mobile users, signal share.

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2010, 03:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange and T-Mobile users, signal share.

For those who were not aware, which is prob not many now. T-Mob and Orange are merging networks. And are in the process of altering accounts for this purpose.

If you are a customer of either, and are interested in using both networks in the UK (basically UK roaming) go to your service providers link below and sign up.

www.orange.co.uk/share
www.tmobile.co.uk/share

You just need your mobile number, and may need to change a couple of settings on your phone to get up and running, and to start using both networks on the same handset with no fuss.

PS there is no cost for roaming between the 2, just remember roaming is turned on when you go abroad.
Old 13 October 2010, 03:51 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Unless you are a corporate customer that is!

I believe they dont allow roaming until 20th of this month
Old 13 October 2010, 03:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Thats a bit of a pain, splitting them like that.
Yeah roaming is probably not active yet, but I guess they are getting everyone signed up early on.
Worth getting it all up and running though I guess
Old 13 October 2010, 04:06 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You have to be a bit Plaistow to use T-Mobile... hopefully orange will bin that infrastructure in favour of theirs.
Old 13 October 2010, 04:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Signed up

Andy
Old 13 October 2010, 04:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I believe the idea is to use both, but do improvements to both too. I guess having parallel networks makes that easier. Switching one off to upgrade and still having a backup
Old 13 October 2010, 04:40 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
You have to be a bit Plaistow to use T-Mobile... hopefully orange will bin that infrastructure in favour of theirs.
T Mobile are by far the best customer service I have experienced and I've used
all the networks.

I manage 200 BB's + 100 other phones
Old 13 October 2010, 04:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think its been active since the 5th of October.

Everything Everywhere launching a £4m duel brand advertising campaign to promote the strength of its network. The operator's 27 million UK customers are now able to roam freely across both Orange and T-Mobile's networks. The two operators officially opened up their networks on 5 October, when customers were given the opportunity to opt-in to the service by registering on T-Mobile and Orange's websites.

The advertising campaign will see Orange and T-Mobile appearing 'head to head' and speaking together in adverts. Everything Everywhere CEO Tom Alexander said, "Today's switch-on is the culmination of a unique and hugely complex technical project. But the result is simple - our customers now get two networks for the price of one. That means 27 million consumers can now keep close to the people, places and things that matter to them in more places than ever before. This is the first step in our vision of giving our customers instant access to whatever they want, wherever they are - instant access to everything, everywhere."

The joint venture is planning to offer customers a 'multi-network strategy' which will combine to combine 2G, 3G, 4G, fixed broadband and WiFi.
Of course there are some issues when you network share like this

Tony
Old 13 October 2010, 04:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
all the networks.
Your joking right?

Tony
Old 13 October 2010, 04:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Orange were brilliant until my recent encounter with them.
Old 13 October 2010, 04:52 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
all the networks.

I manage 200 BB's + 100 other phones
Pfff...that's nothing on Snazy, he's got more personal phones than that
Old 13 October 2010, 05:02 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

another big for Tmobile they have best customer service and best coverage (for me and I go every where in the UK except jockland), also the best tarrifs,phones and deals what more can you ask? i can speak to an operator at tmobile in under 30 seconds not sure that can be done with many other networks?

I got a text on the 9th about the share signal and signed up, not noticed it being used yet but not sure I would know.
Old 13 October 2010, 05:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Pfff...that's nothing on Snazy, he's got more personal phones than that
lol and its only getting worse!
Im cutting back, honest. I must be getting old, I have not ordered a Torch yet or anything. Im slipping!
Old 13 October 2010, 05:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
another big for Tmobile they have best customer service and best coverage (for me and I go every where in the UK except jockland), also the best tarrifs,phones and deals what more can you ask? i can speak to an operator at tmobile in under 30 seconds not sure that can be done with many other networks?

I got a text on the 9th about the share signal and signed up, not noticed it being used yet but not sure I would know.
When I was on Orange Premier I got my calls answered and dealt with really quickly. Not so great now im on common callcentre lol

As for using the shared network, I believe your phone would display the name of the network you are connected on, so if it usually says T-Mob etc, you should see it.
Old 13 October 2010, 05:34 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
When I was on Orange Premier I got my calls answered and dealt with really quickly. Not so great now im on common callcentre lol
#cough#

re register your phone in the name of Snazy t/a the blackberry boy shop

changes you to the good people

has always worked when i have done it in the past
Old 13 October 2010, 05:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol good plan
Old 13 October 2010, 05:44 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Your joking right?

Tony
No not at all, I'd go as to say they are fantastic. Far exceeding o2 and Orange for customer services.

(its also nice when RIM take you to see U2 at Wembley )
Old 13 October 2010, 05:48 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I moved to T Mobile this year after many years with Orange and I'm finding it a lot better experience all round.
Old 13 October 2010, 05:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

So why did O2 still come out top this year as the best Mobile customer services?

Oh and this is good reading

UK: Everything Everywhere To Cut 1,200 Jobs
Britain's biggest mobile operator plans to cut about 1,200 jobs as it prepares to consolidate its business while still maintaining two distinct brands. Everything Everywhere, the product of Orange's merger with T-Mobile's UK business, said it would cut 7.5% of its UK workforce as it starts to merge the back office divisions of the two companies.

The cuts will cover all departments but some divisions, such as IT and legal, will be more affected as the company wants to maintain the separate faces of the two brands. Everything Everywhere has launched a 90-day programme to determine which jobs will go. All cuts are expected to take place before the end of the year.

Tom Alexander, chief executive, called the job cuts "regrettable" but said that the company needed to remove any overlap between the two brands' operations. The job cuts are the latest step in a restructuring programme as Everything Everywhere targets savings of up to £3.5bn.

Everything Everywhere earlier this week laid out plans for its new third-generation network which it said would rely on 18,000 sites for towers and base stations and cover 99.6% of the population within the next four years. Revenue at the company declined 4.8% to £1.7bn in the three months to 30 June, while earnings before interest, depreciation and amortisation fell 18.5% to £309m, Everything Everywhere reported.
Tony
Old 13 October 2010, 05:51 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

It will be good when you can use your data plan on both networks once you`ve signed up.
Old 13 October 2010, 06:00 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Oh and this is good reading

Tony
99.6% coverage, that is amazing!

well done tmobile!

I know o2 had very bad 3g coverage up until the end of last year with tmobile sharing the three 3g network they were miles ahead.
Old 13 October 2010, 06:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

99.6% coverage, that is amazing!

well done tmobile!.
In 4 years time

I know o2 had very bad 3g coverage up until the end of last year with tmobile sharing the three 3g network they were miles ahead.
O2 like T mobile and Orange were not really taken in by the "3G" phenomenon, they waited for the technology to improve, 3 of course only has a 3G network, that in itself isnt a good thing due to how 3G works, they originally used O2 for piggybacking its customers on 2G calls, shame the handovers to 3G's network didnt work and people just got disconnected
3 now use T mob for their 2G (not the other way round, t mob has its own 3g network) as they sort of figured out you need a 2G network and with their configuration they couldnt have one (they had no bandwidth for it).

O2, T mob, Voda and Orange were taken back how quickly smart phones took off, they also concentrate on highly populated area's for 3G coverage as this is where the greatest use of said technology is used, hence why most of these networks dont have much coverage of 3G out in the sticks as its not viable (especially with LTE coming in the next few years, though LTE is at the moment a data only network, 3g will become obsolete and 2G will continue to provide mainly voice traffic).

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 13 October 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 13 October 2010, 06:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Three were a nightmare when they 1st came out as I tried them and even though they used 02 I could never get a signal but when my contract was up I moved to 02 and never had a problem, its just the 3 network is usless. They could give you 1m free minutes and it would still be a waste of cash as you could never use them

Looking forward to the bigger coverage of the two networks as it means I may get better 3g coverage all the time
Old 13 October 2010, 07:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im looking forwards to 3G stability again, it's shocking at the moment, not sure why.
Old 13 October 2010, 08:27 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

In 4 years time

O2 like T mobile and Orange were not really taken in by the "3G" phenomenon, they waited for the technology to improve, 3 of course only has a 3G network, that in itself isnt a good thing due to how 3G works, they originally used O2 for piggybacking its customers on 2G calls, shame the handovers to 3G's network didnt work and people just got disconnected
3 now use T mob for their 2G (not the other way round, t mob has its own 3g network) as they sort of figured out you need a 2G network and with their configuration they couldnt have one (they had no bandwidth for it).

O2, T mob, Voda and Orange were taken back how quickly smart phones took off, they also concentrate on highly populated area's for 3G coverage as this is where the greatest use of said technology is used, hence why most of these networks dont have much coverage of 3G out in the sticks as its not viable (especially with LTE coming in the next few years, though LTE is at the moment a data only network, 3g will become obsolete and 2G will continue to provide mainly voice traffic).

Tony
According to this http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/201...sion-deal.html

And all the other stuff on the web, tmobile and three and have been sharing 3G network for years, I think since 2007 because it's one of the reasons I changed to tmobile about that time, sounds like an o2 shop assistant has been spinning you a yarn

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 13 October 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

According to this http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/201...sion-deal.html

And all the other stuff on the web, tmobile and three and have been sharing 3G network for years, I think since 2007 because it's one of the reasons I changed to tmobile about that time, sounds like an o2 shop assistant has been spinning you a yarn
Nope, they are not sharing at this moment in time due to the merger between orange/t mob (it was reported last month i think) it will go ahead but not at the moment.
I would go look for it on namnews, I may tomorrow (as I work in the mobile industry ) but its quite interesting, 2G is shared with T mob, and sites will have to be decommissioned (and bandwidth given up by t mob and orange to O2 and Vodafone).
Its complicated as everything/everywhere (t mob/orange) now have a 37-38% market share (40% and you get hit by some nasty stuff from ofcom ) but 3 are screwed really, no matter how you look at it.

Tony
Old 14 October 2010, 12:41 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Why are there thousands of articles like this online dating back for years

Do you receive our FREE 3G Newsletter ? If not click here
18th December , 2007
Europe UK : 3 UK and T-Mobile (UK) have signed an agreement to combine their 3G access networks in a ground-breaking collaboration that will lead to almost complete population coverage for 3G services across Britain by the end of 2008 with significant fill in and improvement to dense urban in-building coverage in 2009.

As the world's largest known active 3G network sharing agreement, this will significantly increase both operators' 3G network quality and coverage, accelerate the provision of new high-speed mobile broadband services and deliver substantial cost savings as well as environmental benefits.

By combining their 3G access networks (the mobile masts and infrastructure that connects to each operator's separate core network) T-Mobile and 3 UK will create Europe's most extensive high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) network. Today's agreement offers customers comprehensive mobile coverage in the first stage of joint development in 2008 and further improvements to quality of service in 2009. It furthers both companies' joint commitment to deliver true mobile broadband internet access in addition to reliable voice and text services.

Although masts and the 3G access networks are being combined, each company's core network and T-Mobile's 2G network will not be shared. Both parties will retain responsibility for the delivery of services to their respective customers and use their own frequency spectrum.

High-speed mobile broadband and data services are set for rapid growth as mobile progressively becomes the individual's primary means of accessing the internet. Nationwide 3G coverage is essential to meet this growing demand. Blanket population coverage becomes rapidly achievable if individual operators split the investment required and share operating costs. Integration of radio access networks will give a further boost to the pace of development of 3G services, reduce the duplication of costs and the proliferation of mobile masts and extend 3G coverage for the first time to some of the more sparsely populated areas of the country.
Old 14 October 2010, 07:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yes your correct, the article I saw was orange joining this, shame they still have cr@p coverage between the 2 of them

Tony
Old 22 October 2010, 03:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just done this this week as we are business customers. It is brilliant as we now get great reception all around our house now, not just on one side.

Shame they are not sharing 3G/Dongles until next year. My Orange mobile broadband may as well be powered by carrier pigeon!!!
Old 22 October 2010, 03:21 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Still cant do for enterprise customers

Quick Reply: Orange and T-Mobile users, signal share.