Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the Blackberry using cops on here

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2010, 01:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the Blackberry using cops on here

Do you agree with the findings of this piece ?

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-sma...lice-112m-year

Are you for or against them?

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/ri...platform-10449
Old 12 October 2010, 02:45 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

We've had them for around 6 months, and they are quite handy although there's a few bugs which need ironing out as you would expect. When the roll out is completed and all the systems are fully added and functioning correctly I'm sure they'll be a lot better.

The best feature on ours is that it will bring up a picture of the person you are checking, if there is one on the system, which helps if they are giving you duff details.
Old 12 October 2010, 02:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Serious ! It sends a pic when you do a PNC? Now that is a cool idea.
Great to see that its actually working out. Was only a matter of time before they had something like this.

Good thing its apparently saving time out there
Old 12 October 2010, 03:05 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I've had mine about a year and find it very useful.

Our office phones have restricted numbers so when you ring someone a lot of times they're on a mobile and can see it's a restricted number calling them so they dont answer.
Plus the ability to take pictures at incidents and then email them or send them to a printer is sometimes a God send.

As for the computer software we use, the HQ boffins are making the Blackberrys more and more useable. They're improving how the software works on the Blackberrys making them much easier and quicker to use, as Stevescooby mentioned being able to check for someones picture 'on the street' is a great facility.
Also being able to check nominals intelligence reports, associates and linked stuff is great.
I'm on nights and last night as I couldn't get access to an ANPR fitted car i was able to use my Blackberry to access the forces list of stolen cars and I went out looking for them round an estate where the guy i think is nicking them tends to dump them.

The problem is the screen is very little and sometimes there's too much info on there so it's not 100% ideal and can get fiddly trying to resize the page when you're trying to get a simple piece of info quickly.

They're not the be all and end all that article may paint them to be as the main computer system we work off of for incidents doesn't work at all well on the Blackberrys at the moment. But the HQ Blackberry guru I spoke with said they're making big improvements trying to make it much easier to use.

They're a really useful piece of kit that is actually getting better to use in my force.
Old 12 October 2010, 03:14 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I've had mine about a year and find it very useful.

Our office phones have restricted numbers so when you ring someone a lot of times they're on a mobile and can see it's a restricted number calling them so they dont answer.
Plus the ability to take pictures at incidents and then email them or send them to a printer is sometimes a God send.

As for the computer software we use, the HQ boffins are making the Blackberrys more and more useable. They're improving how the software works on the Blackberrys making them much easier and quicker to use, as Stevescooby mentioned being able to check for someones picture 'on the street' is a great facility.
Also being able to check nominals intelligence reports, associates and linked stuff is great.
I'm on nights and last night as I couldn't get access to an ANPR fitted car i was able to use my Blackberry to access the forces list of stolen cars and I went out looking for them round an estate where the guy i think is nicking them tends to dump them.

The problem is the screen is very little and sometimes there's too much info on there so it's not 100% ideal and can get fiddly trying to resize the page when you're trying to get a simple piece of info quickly.

They're not the be all and end all that article may paint them to be as the main computer system we work off of for incidents doesn't work at all well on the Blackberrys at the moment. But the HQ Blackberry guru I spoke with said they're making big improvements trying to make it much easier to use.

They're a really useful piece of kit that is actually getting better to use in my force.

The problem with having the number displayed is that people then start ringing you back, as some of my colleagues have found, one of them started getting abusive text mesages etc.

Our incident system is ok, it can be copy and pasted across and then sent as an email, obviously you don't get the live updates as they come through though, but it's good for the routine jobs.
Old 12 October 2010, 03:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mate

I can imagine that the screen size can be a bit of an issue at times. But maybe the next step will be the Blackberry Playbook as suggested, that would help a lot im sure.

The examples you have given are an eye opener. Having had no idea really how they were being used, its impressive to hear how many uses they have been given.

Sounds like they are there for the long haul all the same, so heres to a better system for you guys soon. Maybe the Torch is the next logical step, bigger screen and all that. Who knows eh
Old 12 October 2010, 03:22 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
The problem with having the number displayed is that people then start ringing you back, as some of my colleagues have found, one of them started getting abusive text mesages etc.

Our incident system is ok, it can be copy and pasted across and then sent as an email, obviously you don't get the live updates as they come through though, but it's good for the routine jobs.
That is obviously a concern but nothing's happened yet.
We can access our incident system, NSPIS, but we have to know the incident nuymber and the format is totally different and we dont get live updates.
I dont use that facility as it's far easier to contact the comms centre.

I doubt we'll get anything fancier as money is v v tight and they're making these things work well now
Old 12 October 2010, 03:40 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
Maybe the Torch is the next logical step, bigger screen and all that. Who knows eh

Now now sanzy, you know you got told off for that kind of thinking on FB yesterday
Old 12 October 2010, 03:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Now now sanzy, you know you got told off for that kind of thinking on FB yesterday

Sorry dad

The thought is still haunting me though, my will is weak right now. Maybe I can donate my other berry's to the Met

£30 a month is hard to resist. I need to renew one of the contracts anyway @ £25 a month, so could just get the Torch on that one.

However for the Police, something like the Torch could work well, especially if there is already a large investment on the RIM side of things from all the forces.
Interesting to learn how they are used like this though, a real eye opener
Old 12 October 2010, 04:09 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
Interesting to learn how they are used like this though, a real eye opener
Yes these two tough officers are employing all their considerable resources to....................

play Angry Birds and exchange a video of a Sneezing Panda

Last edited by SwissTony; 12 October 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol the confusion on their face suggests its not as intuitive as some other devices out there
Old 12 October 2010, 05:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

both texting a doughnut order methinks
Old 12 October 2010, 05:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
both texting a doughnut order methinks
Naaa, they would just use the Krispy Kreme app if that were the case