Street charity workers

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 05:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street charity workers

I'm sick of these people.

You know the 'professional' ones, typically pimping for Greenpeace, Shelter etc. Look like students.

It's that they infest every high street going, and walking down said streets feels like being continually harassed like the street equivalent of 'cold callers'.

...and they all have adopted the same over-cheery, zanny personalities like childrens TV hosts. Is it supposed to make me feel unthreatened or something? I guess they all get coached in the same way and found that act to be most successful in disarming people.

OTOH I do give money to people who are obviously volunteers. The type who just stand there or sit at a desk and don't ASK.

I'd really like them banned.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Do you have a [/TROLL] feature?
Old 05 October 2010, 05:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I find myself doing this more. Recently there was an old Lady collecting for the MacMillan nurses at Asda when we were food shopping. Popped a quid in as it is a good cause. Done it for the cadets/soldiers who collect for Help4Heroes too. They usually help you pack your shopping as well No pressure and feel like I'm doing my bit.

Do not enjoy over pressurising chit chat from the hippy looking collective usually found harassing easy targets in the town centre, or door knocking in unison with Jehovas Witnesses. I admit they're probably doing it as a good cause but when you have a hormonal Mrs with a baby bump and cash is a bit tight...

Better than getting stabbed by a wannabe gangsta I guess

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 05 October 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:25 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was offered to become one of these "volunteers" for around Belfast and the money was rather fecking good, infact if i wasnt such a miserable unsociable cockend I would have taken the job.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I was offered to become one of these "volunteers" for around Belfast and the money was rather fecking good, infact if i wasnt such a miserable unsociable cockend I would have taken the job.
Can't argue with that
Old 05 October 2010, 05:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
. I admit they're probably doing it as a good cause but when you have a hormonal Mrs with a baby bump and cash is a bit tight...
See the peppy hip dude/dudette is making alot more money than you. Don't think for one minute they are doing it for any other reason. I know real charity workers who do a damn fine job, these people aren't them.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Chuggers

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chugger

I dislike them intensely as most do but they get more money than the sweet old lady rattling a tin.

dl
Old 05 October 2010, 05:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Can't argue with that
+2
Old 05 October 2010, 05:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mohammed on a bike! - just imagine if they where Muslims collecting for the Red Crescent
Old 05 October 2010, 05:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
See the peppy hip dude/dudette is making alot more money than you. Don't think for one minute they are doing it for any other reason. I know real charity workers who do a damn fine job, these people aren't them.
It's pretty obvious that they are doing it for money.

I dunno how much they make but I doubt it's as much as you were promised.

They are like vultures IMHO taking advantage of peoples civility. I can see 'em evaluating people as they approach....who to talk to who not to, who looks like a mug etc.

I think I'll tell the next one to **** off and see their reaction.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I'm sick of these people.

You know the 'professional' ones, typically pimping for Greenpeace, Shelter etc. Look like students.

It's that they infest every high street going, and walking down said streets feels like being continually harassed like the street equivalent of 'cold callers'.

...and they all have adopted the same over-cheery, zanny personalities like childrens TV hosts. Is it supposed to make me feel unthreatened or something? I guess they all get coached in the same way and found that act to be most successful in disarming people.

OTOH I do give money to people who are obviously volunteers. The type who just stand there or sit at a desk and don't ASK.

I'd really like them banned.
Is there anyone you don't have an issue with? If you carry on like this there will only be you left.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fantastic - given the title of the thread Street Charity Workers this has to be quote of the week of not month so far
Old 05 October 2010, 05:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Is there anyone you don't have an issue with? If you carry on like this there will only be you left.
If he takes you out then I'm with him!
Old 05 October 2010, 06:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Fantastic - given the title of the thread Street Charity Workers this has to be quote of the week of not month so far
Is this actually naive quote of the year?

People in the street who sign you up for charities are paid and often do not work for the charities they represent, they work for charity recruiters.

Minimum commitment is £10 a month and pretty much the whole of the first years' contribution goes to the recruiter not the charity. Larger charities do have their own recruiters, but they are still paid.

This is very different from the biddy shaking the tin at you outside your local LIDL.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:45 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had a bloke call to my house one evening representing some unheard of charity, who were allegedly collecting money for deaf children. This wasn't a bucket rattling exercise, he was asking for a £15 a week commitment. He commented on my satellite dish, drawing a parallel between the cost of Sky TV and the amount he was asking for. I took great delight in telling him that my satellite dish was for receiving free view which cost f**k all, which was precisely what I was prepared to give him.

Got my fingers burnt with charity recently with the NI Air ambulance - very selective with which charities I contribute to.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:52 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I'm soon to be a volunteer worker, I think I will ask do you drive a Subaru and/or are you a miserable ******. If yes to either, good day to you!

I'm hoping I don't end up doing this harassing people while they are out and about.
Old 06 October 2010, 09:44 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I dunno how much they make but I doubt it's as much as you were promised.

They are like vultures IMHO taking advantage of peoples civility. I can see 'em evaluating people as they approach....who to talk to who not to, who looks like a mug etc.

I think I'll tell the next one to **** off and see their reaction.
I must be that mug then as I've been 'stopped' a few times.

Once whilst walking into town a guy in his early 20's stopped me, quickly mentioned the charity then went on to ask if I could afford, 20p. Naturally I said yes. He then said that I would also be able to afford 20p a day and requested me to sign up to his charity - by direct debit! I walked on reminding myself to remember his face for next time............

................. which was about two weeks later.

I was again walking along the same road into town and the same guy approached me. Right I thought, I'm prepared for you this time. He tried to make eye contact but I ignored him, so he puts his hand out across my chest forcing me to stop. I grabbed his forearm and looked him right in the eye and said 'The next time you stop me when I'm walking boy, I'll break your f**king arm', promptly released his arm and walked on. The last thing I saw was his mouth open and his chin drop to the ground. All thanks to ****** and Bricktop.
Old 06 October 2010, 09:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I must be that mug then as I've been 'stopped' a few times.

Once whilst walking into town a guy in his early 20's stopped me, quickly mentioned the charity then went on to ask if I could afford, 20p. Naturally I said yes. He then said that I would also be able to afford 20p a day and requested me to sign up to his charity - by direct debit! I walked on reminding myself to remember his face for next time............

I was again walking along the same road into town and the same guy approached me. Right I thought, I'm prepared for you this time. He tried to make eye contact but I ignored him, so he puts his hand out across my chest forcing me to stop. I grabbed his forearm and looked him right in the eye and said 'The next time you stop me when I'm walking boy, I'll break your f**king arm', promptly released his arm and walked on. The last thing I saw was his mouth open and his chin drop to the ground. All thanks to ****** and Bricktop.
Nicely done!
Old 06 October 2010, 06:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was stopped by some hippy chick collecting for save the children last week. She said 5 minutes of my time and that she want no money from me. She spends 5 minutes telling me how many water purification tablets could buy, then whips out a direct debit form.
She then tells me having know money is no excuse for not giving, as she is £12 k in debt and gives £60 a month
Old 06 October 2010, 06:17 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

'The next time you stop me when I'm walking boy, I'll break your f**king arm'
Is this you?

Old 15 October 2010, 01:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in town earlier and it was like running the gauntlet of fire. I had greasy mobile phone salesman trying to get me into their shops on one side, and charity workers chasing me down the street on the other side
Old 15 October 2010, 02:32 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not so much charity workers here - theres one big issue seller and a few of Harry Ks mob but they are easy to spot. The leccy and telephone bods are easy to spot being mostly ethnics and we don't get many of that sort here.

One approached us yesterday and the wife said "I'm sorry I'm too busy" cheeky streak of pi55 mutters "I see, too busy to save money".
Old 15 October 2010, 02:43 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

i just walk on the other side of the street when i see them. if i do get stopped, i just say 'sorry, i already work for a charity' and they leave me alone (its true as well!)

i'm more annoyed by the vast quantity of these printed bin bags i get through the door asking for clothes and stuff. Probably get 3 or 4 of them a week!
Old 15 October 2010, 03:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

tell them you are on your way to a watchtower meeting -- and have they felt the majesty of the lord recently
Old 17 October 2010, 12:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Have to say that the ones we get in this area are very polite and don't push themselves in any way.

When you donate they are always very pleasant about it.

Rather than getting all wound up about it, maybe it is worth remembering that they are doing the job for a good cause.

Les
Old 17 October 2010, 12:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Have to say that the ones we get in this area are very polite and don't push themselves in any way.

When you donate they are always very pleasant about it.

Rather than getting all wound up about it, maybe it is worth remembering that they are doing the job for a good cause.

Les
What, rather than threaten to break their arms?

That sort of polite and common sense approach will get you nowhere on NSR Les
Old 18 October 2010, 11:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
What, rather than threaten to break their arms?

That sort of polite and common sense approach will get you nowhere on NSR Les
Yes I had worked that out!

Les
Old 18 October 2010, 02:27 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Oh, I don't mind them shaking their tins, it's just when they force me to stop it gets annoying.
Old 18 October 2010, 03:04 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Understandably said in a threatening cockney accent like Brick Tops would scare the bejesus out of most people but I cant quite imagine a nice Cornish accent having such an affect, especially when every sentence ends with My Lover

Old 18 October 2010, 03:32 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Understandably said in a threatening cockney accent like Brick Tops would scare the bejesus out of most people but I cant quite imagine a nice Cornish accent having such an affect, especially when every sentence ends with My Lover

Luckly, I don't have an accent like that .......

..... me luver

Quick Reply: Street charity workers