Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

problem with Neighbour about Conservatory Wall

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 07:41 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with Neighbour about Conservatory Wall

We are planning on having a conservatory build starting next Monday so I went round to see the neighbours and they are not happy about it.

We have a brick wall garage one side so we decided to brick the right side wall so it looks the same. The wall will be a fall wall and be 3m wide. Is there a max high we can go? I think the builder said it will be level with the top of the bottom floor windows.

The conservatory in total is going to be 5m wide and go out 3m.

We live in a newish semi.

I am going to speak to building control today to check but my building said everything is fine and we don't need planning permission.

My neighbour wants me to put a row of windows and not have the brick wall so high. I really doubt this will make a big difference to him it just means i can see in his garden. I really dom't fancy doing this and I don't talk to them much but I don't really want any problems.

What are you views?

Our gardens are about 10m long.

Thanks
Old 05 October 2010, 08:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

from www.planningportal.gov.uk

Fences, gates and garden walls
You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or
your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

So anything over 2 metres sounds like it needs planning permission
Old 05 October 2010, 08:28 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I doubt you will need planning permission to be honest, you will however need to meet with the required building regs, but as you mention you have spoken to building control and they have confirmed it's OK. A friend of mine has just had an extension built on the back of his house, pretty much the same size as you are planning, with a pitched roof, no planning required.

I'm afraid it's tough luck for the neighbour.

Last edited by cookstar; 05 October 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:11 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
My neighbour wants me to put a row of windows and not have the brick wall so high. I really doubt this will make a big difference to him it just means i can see in his garden. I really dom't fancy doing this and I don't talk to them much but I don't really want any problems.
You won't be able to see his garden as if the windows are facing onto it they'll have to be glazed with obscured glass. That is in the building regulations.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:26 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you will need planning permission. Building control and the planning department are separate. Building control said everything was fine with ours. But as a precautioin, I contacted the planning dept just to be on the safe side, they basically said it doesn't matter what building control says, you still need planning permission.

Remember, if you put something up without planning permission, you will have to take it down. Plus your neighbour could contact the planners which may get you into all sorts of trouble. You're spending a lot of money, best to ensure all bases are covered.

Last edited by jonc; 05 October 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05 October 2010, 10:05 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I think you will need planning permission. Building control and the planning department are separate. Building control said everything was fine with ours. But as a precautioin, I contacted the planning dept just to be on the safe side, they basically said it doesn't matter what building control says, you still need planning permission.

Remember, if you put something up without planning permission, you will have to take it down. Plus your neighbour could contact the planners which may get you into all sorts of trouble. You're spending a lot of money, best to ensure all bases are covered.
When did you have yours done?

New Permitted Development rules mean you can extend up to so much without planning permission now
Old 05 October 2010, 10:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
No matter what the legalities are, should you not have had a word with your neighbour earlier?

Dave
I think that is fair comment and also there is so much dissension that I think you would be wise to go to the council planners and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

It is just not worth the risk of being ordered to demolish it later.

Its also never worth having an unhappy neighbour about what you are doing too. Worth trying to do what you can to make him a bit happier about it all.

Les
Old 05 October 2010, 11:26 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your neighbor have a fit wife or daughter? If so windows overlooking his garden could have an advantage
Old 05 October 2010, 04:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it cuts light to his garden, he may have a case.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:44 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Does your neighbor have a fit wife or daughter? If so windows overlooking his garden could have an advantage
maybe he could use the windows for looking at your fit wife and if it helps with the conservatory plans she could give him a wee show

windyboy
Old 05 October 2010, 04:52 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If it cuts light to his garden, he may have a case.
There is no "right to light" in planning anymore, in fact the opposite is more apparent, with right to privacy and overlook regulations.

Glassed roofed extensions (conservatories) generally do not need planning, unless
a: you live in a conservation area
b: it's volume is greater than a third of the floor area of the house (?)
c: There are conditions in your deeds.

2m is an acceptable height for a brick wall on a domestic boundary, no different to you wanting a close board fence erected (quite within your rights)

As above, check with the planners, but unless they're concerned about the size of your planned conservatory, they'll say carry on.

and your neighbour will have to put up and shut up.

Last edited by scooby L; 05 October 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:06 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windyboy
maybe he could use the windows for looking at your fit wife and if it helps with the conservatory plans she could give him a wee show

windyboy

Sorry but she draws the line at watersports!
Old 05 October 2010, 08:13 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check you have no restrictive covenants stoppng you erecting a conservatory before you start.
If not then great.
You should not need planning permission providing it is no more than 30sq m (iirc) and it must have external quality doors separating the main house from the conservatory.
You will however more than likely need building regs approval. A quick call to your local planning office should confirm the above. Do this before commencing any building.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mamoon2
When did you have yours done?

New Permitted Development rules mean you can extend up to so much without planning permission now
Our garden room was built in 2006 so it wasn't covered with the PD rules. However, it seems councils have different interpretations of these rules.

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/featur...elopment-rules
Old 05 October 2010, 10:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The simple solution is talk to the council's bulding regs team and get their advice, after all whatever they say will be right and anyone can protest as much as they like but will have no legal recourse.
Old 05 October 2010, 10:40 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

As above, but get them to put what they say in writing, so you are covered
Old 06 October 2010, 01:38 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby L
There is no "right to light" in planning anymore, in fact the opposite is more apparent, with right to privacy and overlook regulations.

Glassed roofed extensions (conservatories) generally do not need planning, unless
a: you live in a conservation area
b: it's volume is greater than a third of the floor area of the house (?)
c: There are conditions in your deeds.

2m is an acceptable height for a brick wall on a domestic boundary, no different to you wanting a close board fence erected (quite within your rights)

As above, check with the planners, but unless they're concerned about the size of your planned conservatory, they'll say carry on.

and your neighbour will have to put up and shut up.
+1

also building regs not required, but by all means check with building control.
Old 06 October 2010, 12:12 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice I have spoken to the neighbour and he is coming round to the idea. I am doing it anyway so he can't say a lot as we have been told by building control everything is fine.

Thanks again
Old 06 October 2010, 12:56 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Are you digging footings within 3 metres of next doors house or buildings?
Old 06 October 2010, 01:01 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Conservatory foundations are shallower than house foundations, so you'll not have a problem with section 6 of the party wall act
Old 07 October 2010, 09:40 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
Conservatory foundations are shallower than house foundations, so you'll not have a problem with section 6 of the party wall act
Are you sure?

Section 6(1), where -
(a) a building owner proposes to excavate, or excavate for and erect a building or structure, within a distance of three metres measured horizontally from any part of a building or structure of an adjoining owner.

As long as next door are not aware of the act I would say nothing, we have just had to pay for a party wall survayor at £100 an hour as next door refused to sign the party wall notices and it went to a dispute.

Cost me over a grand, but it did give me the right to put a scaffold up on there land which I did not have before