Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any legal professionals on here

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2010, 12:02 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any legal professionals on here

After my son split with his girlfriend he came to live back with us. He has been here now for 2 years. Two weeks ago a letter arrived for him from a debt collecting agency threatening legal action if he did not pay his vodafone bill within 7 days.( £789.51.) He has had no previous letters from them. He has never had a vodafone phone or a contract with them. He phoned the debt collector and was told the bill was backdated to July 2008, and if he did'nt make a regular payment it would be passed on to a solicitor. He wrote to vodefone asking for proof of contract and his signature, but has heard nothing. Yesterday the solicitors letter arrived threatening court action, court costs and all sorts of other costs on top.

Is there any way he can find out if his ex and her new b/f could have got this contract in his name and forged his signature. She is being investigated for benefit fraud, so I would not put this past her. I honestly wish he had never met her. He has already paid a loan back for 1500.00, which was supposed to be spent on their house, but she decided to go to blackpool with her 'friend'.
Old 02 October 2010, 01:11 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shooter007
After my son split with his girlfriend he came to live back with us. He has been here now for 2 years. Two weeks ago a letter arrived for him from a debt collecting agency threatening legal action if he did not pay his vodafone bill within 7 days.( £789.51.) He has had no previous letters from them. He has never had a vodafone phone or a contract with them. He phoned the debt collector and was told the bill was backdated to July 2008, and if he did'nt make a regular payment it would be passed on to a solicitor. He wrote to vodefone asking for proof of contract and his signature, but has heard nothing. Yesterday the solicitors letter arrived threatening court action, court costs and all sorts of other costs on top.

Is there any way he can find out if his ex and her new b/f could have got this contract in his name and forged his signature. She is being investigated for benefit fraud, so I would not put this past her. I honestly wish he had never met her. He has already paid a loan back for 1500.00, which was supposed to be spent on their house, but she decided to go to blackpool with her 'friend'.
It "may" not be anything to do with his ex girlfriend, I have had similar from a debt collection agency chasing me for £700 quids worth of Barclaycard debt actually owed by someone with similar details (name, DOB) which actually had nothing to do with me at all. The worst thing was once I had convinced that one it was nothing to do with me they passed it on to another agency who came after me again! They soon stopped after I told them that if I had to deal with any more communication from them I would be charging them £50 per letter per incident to cover my costs.

You really need to press Vodafone very hard to find out what is going on, I know that they are downright difficult to deal with at the best of times, but if you can find their complaints address on their website, a recorded delivery letter to them explaining the situation and asking for full details of the alleged debt may make things clearer.

Good luck!
Old 02 October 2010, 02:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You could always ask the solicitor for proof too as they should have something they are working from which I would imagine if true they would happily show it to you so you then would pay.
Old 02 October 2010, 03:12 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

We had the same thing with my mum (who was in a mental health unit at the time being assessed for Alzheimer's). She'd never had a contract with them. My brother told them to 'go away' .
Old 02 October 2010, 04:18 PM
mouse555
Scooby Regular

Not many solicitors deal with debt defence anymore because it does not pay enough. However, if you live anywhere near a legal drop in type centre they may be able to help as would your local CAB.

If it was me who received the letter I would contact the firm of solicitors attempting to recover the debt and ask them to provide a copy of the contract, copies of any bills and details of delivery address for the phone (if applicable).

It is extremely important that you do make contact with the solicitors who sent the letter rather than ignoring them-they will just press on regardless and apply for a CCJ against the purported debtor. It may simply be a question of making written representations to them stating catergorically that you have never had a Vodafone contract. They will contact their client (Vodafone) and hopefully matters will be settled that way without the need for legal proceedings.

Good luck
Old 04 October 2010, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Surely they cannot succeed with a claim if he has never had a contract with them. Hopefully a forged signature by his ex if that is what she did can be detected.

Les
Old 04 October 2010, 12:22 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

It might be worth speaking to these people: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

I had some problems with a dodgy debt collecting agency trying to claim some money from me. The letters were very threatening but after a bit of Googling I discovered that the debt agency were a bit dodgy. I rang the National Debt Line and they were EXTREMELY helpful and explained that I wasn't liable for the debt and that this company was just trying it on.

They gave me a copy of a letter to send (in legalese) to this debt agency which I did and never heard another word from them

Give them a call, they may be able to help
Old 04 October 2010, 01:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I would make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau. They will have the (free) knowledge to offer advice on what action to take. I have been using them for 2 1/2 years with regards my debt issues from being unemployed.

Some say they're good, some not so but they have been overall excellent for me.
Old 04 October 2010, 10:27 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php
Old 05 October 2010, 07:05 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

http://www.theAteam.com/ifyouhaveapr...youcanhire.php
Old 05 October 2010, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I would make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau. They will have the (free) knowledge to offer advice on what action to take. I have been using them for 2 1/2 years with regards my debt issues from being unemployed.

Some say they're good, some not so but they have been overall excellent for me.
I reckon that is good advice.

Les
Old 06 October 2010, 02:23 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shooter007

If the "debt" is with a debt collection agency, chances are Vodafone will have sold it on to them, so little mileage in contacting Vodafone.

Some good advice on contacting CAB, etc, but what your son needs to do is write formally to the solicitor firm

a) Stating that he has never contracted with Vodafone
b) Denying that any debt is due for that reason
c) Asking for copies of all documentation which purports to evidence the "debt" as he suspects that fraud has been commited in order that he can notify the police accordingly.

That should be sufficient to end the matter.