Jacking it in

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2010, 07:53 PM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking it in

OK folks, need some opinions.

Wife and I are late 30s, both higher rate tax payers and have worked hard to get a decent amount of equity in our current house.

We are both a bit fed up with the whole get up, work, go to bed, repeat 5 days a week and mostly feel like we live looking forward to either a holiday or Friday! Anyway, we are both tempted to buy somewhere in France with land and either forget about work for ever (we can afford it but wouldn't live like kings, say 15k pa for the rest of our lives including a pension in old age) or I work on a contract basis in IT if I get bored.

We have found somewhere that is ideal (2 bed barn, 12 acres) and despite always having said we would do it I am now a little nervous!

Anybody either done it for good or done it for a year or two and pass on their experiences? Yes I do speak the language fairly well and have a decent understanding of the buying process/lifestyle etc before anybody asks.

I am always reading stories about normal people who live a bit with a lot of envy, most 'successful people' I know work too much and die too young.

Thoughts?
Old 27 September 2010, 07:57 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its something I would love to do. If you are in a position to do it then I would go for it.

My only concern is the land, more than a couple of acres will take a lot of looking after. A mate of mine has a place in France with about 4 acres and during the summer it takes all his time to keep ontop of the mowing and such like.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:01 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

That sounds great.I took my foot of the gas a few years back for various reasons,some beyond my control.

Gave me time to think about life.I came to the conclusion I was working myself to death so the kids could have a free house!
Old 27 September 2010, 08:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wasbakerman

Wife and I are late 30s, both higher rate tax payers and have worked hard to get a decent amount of equity in our current house.

We are both a bit fed up with the whole get up, work, go to bed, repeat 5 days a week and mostly feel like we live looking forward to either a holiday or Friday! Anyway, we are both tempted to buy somewhere in France with land and either forget about work for ever (we can afford it but wouldn't live like kings, say 15k pa for the rest of our lives including a pension in old age) or I work on a contract basis in IT if I get bored.

We have found somewhere that is ideal (2 bed barn, 12 acres) and despite always having said we would do it I am now a little nervous!

Anybody either done it for good or done it for a year or two and pass on their experiences? Yes I do speak the language fairly well and have a decent understanding of the buying process/lifestyle etc before anybody asks.

I am always reading stories about normal people who live a bit with a lot of envy, most 'successful people' I know work too much and die too young.

Thoughts?
do you have children -- from the tone of your post I suspect not
Old 27 September 2010, 08:05 PM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by billythekid
My only concern is the land, more than a couple of acres will take a lot of looking after. A mate of mine has a place in France with about 4 acres and during the summer it takes all his time to keep ontop of the mowing and such like.
Good point btk, some of the land is already let out to a local farmer for hay. I want some goats and the wife a horse (cheap as in rural France) so hopefully no up keep per se of the land.

No kids involved which makes life a lot simpler.........do have a couple of cats though!
Old 27 September 2010, 08:10 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Sure it would be great to start with - but come on, you'd get bored surely?!

I reckon after 2 months of relaxing I'd be gagging to get back into the office for some work to get my teeth into, and the office banter!

If you had a project to keep you both busy then maybe, but just living out there and looking after a couple of animals and the land is not enought IMO!
Old 27 September 2010, 08:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bored? Without work and money problems think of all the stuff you could read and learn.

Go for it and if it doesn't work out, you can always move back!
Old 27 September 2010, 08:14 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I was in France in April staying in a Gite which the English owners had done .
They had the same story as you by the sound of it and seem to be living the dream .!!

I asked them how they got started and it was watching A Place in the Sun !!!

I watch this all the time !!!

Its where I want to be in 10 yrs time hopefully .

Its easy to say but ,if you dont try ,you never know .!!!

And if your in IT ,then I am sure you can still do that over there if need be .

Good Luck .
Crack On .
Old 27 September 2010, 08:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Late 30's - I'd say its a little early myself unless you really do consider subbing out for work. I would be concerned about the size of the land, plus you must do your research on the cost of living and ensure that you are buying the house with no lease hold agreements.

I take it the 15k is for the pair of you. So around £1200 per month - you won't be running a scoob then lol
Old 27 September 2010, 08:31 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Well I packed work in early, never regreted it. I seem to have lots of jobs to do and we enjoy the things like walking and days out in the country. Mind I'm quite a bit older than you but, hey just do it, you can always go back.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:46 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Late 30's - I'd say its a little early myself unless you really do consider subbing out for work. I would be concerned about the size of the land, plus you must do your research on the cost of living and ensure that you are buying the house with no lease hold agreements.

I take it the 15k is for the pair of you. So around £1200 per month - you won't be running a scoob then lol
+1 been here for 5 years some good advice above listen carefully
Old 27 September 2010, 08:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
France is shockingly expensive too, and the French can be a little off-handish to "les rosbifs"
Old 27 September 2010, 09:03 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I reckon you'll get bored with Le good life. Depends how long it takes for that to happen to determine if it's a good idea or not.

The wife had 2 years off work when I was working away heaps - but went back to work as she got bored.

I reckon If I'd had the time off too it would only have taken her 1 year to go back to work
Old 27 September 2010, 09:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Good point btk, some of the land is already let out to a local farmer for hay. I want some goats and the wife a horse (cheap as in rural France) so hopefully no up keep per se of the land.

No kids involved which makes life a lot simpler.........do have a couple of cats though!
Calling the wife that might scupper your plans.

I didn't go anywhere but I gave up having to speak to people completely at 35. For years earlier though I worked less than I played. Only the boring get bored, so track days and generally relaxing doing what I fancied when I chose to weren't difficult.

I sold up, invested it and within several months had lost it. Someone decided it was in their best interests to spend most of my money then go to jail for it whilst the rest of the money earned interest somewhere for when they came out.

Massive blow but I still don't have to be part of the rat race which is worth more than most people chasing fortunes realise.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:15 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure £15,000 is enough to live on for the rest of your life. But don't worry about getting bored. I gave up work over 2 years ago and it's been great
Old 28 September 2010, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As long as you don't want to paint the town red every night you should manage perfectly well on that income.

As you say you could still earn a bit more should you need to and the easy going life is well worthwhile.

Les
Old 28 September 2010, 05:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

What i don't understand is that if you are fed up with the rat race and not being able to experience this beautiful and diverse world we live in the best thing you can think of doing is living on a farm in France for the rest of your life.

Living with a few chickens and a mangy cat only a few hundred miles from where you live already whilst trying to get by on £15k/year? No thanks.

You'll die alone soaked in your own urine and vomit whilst the cats **** over your corpses.
Old 28 September 2010, 05:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

What i don't understand is that if you are fed up with the rat race and not being able to experience this beautiful and diverse world we live in the best thing you can think of doing is living on a farm in France for the rest of your life.

Living with a few chickens and a mangy cat only a few hundred miles from where you live already whilst trying to get by on £15k/year? No thanks.

You'll die alone soaked in your own urine and vomit whilst the cats **** over your corpses.
Old 28 September 2010, 07:49 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

Id take the farm and stink of P1ss anyday thanks .!!!!!!!!
Old 28 September 2010, 07:55 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

5 years ago the wife and I reached the same conclusion, so we both left our jobs and then spent the next year travelling the world.

It was the most fantastic thing we have ever done. Came back to the uk, spent another 6 months mooching around trying to decide what to do next.

Went back into gainful employment and to stop the boredom creeping in, and have just told our bosses we will be leaving in the new year to go and spend a couple of years over seas.

So my advice, if you can DO IT. What is the worst thing that can happen?

I am so looking forward to leaving again, it is very liberating.

S
Old 28 September 2010, 07:57 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

If it's what you want to do, then just do it.
You only pass this way once.
What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out and you have to go back to work!
Old 28 September 2010, 07:57 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Poxy double posts
Old 28 September 2010, 10:23 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Id take the farm and stink of P1ss anyday thanks .!!!!!!!!
I'm sure you would
Old 29 September 2010, 02:04 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Thoughts?
Neighbours 2 doors down did that a few years ago. Moved to the Dordogne. Then got bored and and went back to work... Only in France.
Old 29 September 2010, 05:26 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skeeter
5 years ago the wife and I reached the same conclusion, so we both left our jobs and then spent the next year travelling the world.

It was the most fantastic thing we have ever done. Came back to the uk, spent another 6 months mooching around trying to decide what to do next.

Went back into gainful employment and to stop the boredom creeping in, and have just told our bosses we will be leaving in the new year to go and spend a couple of years over seas.

So my advice, if you can DO IT. What is the worst thing that can happen?

I am so looking forward to leaving again, it is very liberating.

S
Ok if you don't have kids?
Old 29 September 2010, 02:36 PM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the responses, some interesting some less so!

I am concerned though for the people who think their lives would be boring without work, now they really need to find something to do!

Done plenty of travelling with work, seen most of the bits of the world I want to and we both think we need to take a break. Bottom line is we are going to buy in France (currently negotiating), stop work for a while to see how we cope and if we are committed sell the UK and stay there. If not then I will pop back as and when to keep my brain active and to watch all the numpties I currently see stuck in the same traffic jams every day on the A40 around Oxford whilst I ride past

If anybody's interested I'll let you know how we get on. 2011 will be an interesting year me thinks.
Old 29 September 2010, 02:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wish you all the luck, I am sure you will enjoy the new life. As I understand it, they are pretty laid back over there so you can look forward to a relaxed existence. Bit like down here in the West Country.

Les
Old 29 September 2010, 02:44 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I am concerned though for the people who think their lives would be boring without work, now they really need to find something to do!
If you're early 30's and talking about spending the next 40-60 years sitting in a French farm with your wife - you'll either end up bored or on a murder rap .

15k a year isn't enough to do interesting things for the rest of your life
Old 29 September 2010, 02:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I can't stand the 9-5 grind either.

One reason I work in the oilfield.

I get paid better than most 9-5 jobs and get half the year off to do what I want.
Old 29 September 2010, 02:55 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Do it
Life can be short and as long as you and your Misses get on well and not be bored with each other then you will be ok
We have a place in Cebu and I love the simplicity of life over there and meeting new people and would go forever tomorrow if I didn't have to look after my parents as they are getting on a bit

Quick Reply: Jacking it in