Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flogging my old windsurfing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2002, 11:14 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know any shops or people that would buy this off me? Not gone for years and it's just sitting in the garage taking up space that a decent sports car could be in!

This is what I've got:

Boards - both in padded board bags

F2 Sunset Slalom 272cm 1992
Tiga Team Carbon K 320cm 1988

Sails

Tushingham Race Light 6.5m 1992
Neil Pryde CAM 5.5m 1990
Tushingham Vector 4.5m 1990

2 clamp on booms and 2 two piece Art masts - one with some carbon
in it.

Various fins in a fin bag inc 3 decent ones, a wave (angulo), a
slalom(angulo), and a large slalom fin (Stix 36cm).

one mens and one ladies winter steamer. Mens wetsuit top and long
johns
harnesses, ropes, 2 F2 mast extensions, that are swoppable between
the two boards by unclipping the foot.

Any ideas on how much I could ask for this, and if it's saleable at
all! Do any shops/schools buy this kind of stuff?

any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

greg

Old 04 April 2002, 02:13 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello greg,

I reckon you're going to struggle to find a shop to buy this kit off you, trouble is windsurfing is like the PC world and everything moves on so fast. Your kit will be rather dated now, best advice I can give is to buy Boards mag and stick it in the for sale section for offers. I'll give you an example, I have a 1997 F2 Thommen 280 and I was offerd £200 for it, cost me about £1200 new (sobs).. By the way I used to have a sunset slalom too, great fun and an old Tiga Power Jibe, remember those?

I have a JP 257 Wave (used about 5 times) and a JP 267 Freeride (used twice) along with a brace of Thommens gathering dust just like yours.

Cheers, Sean
Old 04 April 2002, 03:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hehe I got a Bic Alto 255 waveboard in my parents loft. Aint used it since I moved back to the UK from Cyprus around 8 years ago. Was mental at the time and I loved every minute. Now I cant even give the thing away.
Old 04 April 2002, 03:05 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

yeh sad isn't it!! Maybe I can trade it in for a kite or something

Greg
Old 04 April 2002, 03:12 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ah this is all taking me back. Do you remember the Alpha Speed Needle that was around about the same time at the Alto? Insane in a straight line but gybing was so scary... Was it the green coloured version with "dancing people" type graphics?
Old 04 April 2002, 03:33 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got loads of this stuff in my garage, I went out once last year. Used to love Windsurfing, wake boarding has taken over. Old kit really isn't worth much. I'm keeping mine for the odd time I can be arsed.

Leigh
Old 04 April 2002, 04:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Seamus - the alto was a multitude of bright colours (red, oragne, yellow, green) but looked really smart. Jimmy Lewis design. Was so small (255) and light at the time but with me being a 16 yrs old wipper snapper I could just about uphaul and sail it in very low wind.

I used to windsurf at the army watersports club in Dhekelia, Cyprus. Started off racing (actually wone the Cyprus Open Championship in '93) and then saw a guy on the Alto and had to buy it. Luckily he was trading up to a Fanatic Ultra Mosquito 252 (even friggin smaller) so he did me a good deal. Couldnt sail it for ages as no wind to waterstart. Then one day the wind came and I was overpowered on my ART 4.3 wavesail but the best days sailing ever.

Gybing was easy, fast tacking was a biaatch. I actually got pretty competent even in the constant onshore conditions. Could duck gybe, tabletop etc and was getting into backward loops just before I left.
Old 04 April 2002, 04:24 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

P1,

I've still a Fanatic Ultra Mosquito 252!
Old 04 April 2002, 04:31 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Never sailed one - had a go on a boa and mamba and even a rat but never the mosquito
Old 04 April 2002, 04:34 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

I've had it for about 6 years now, it's a throw about board, goes like stink. Worth about 3p these days. Still the smallest around, where I sail, well used to.

Old 04 April 2002, 08:42 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm wakeboarding - me likes that too although havent done too much. Am tempted to take it up here but to pricey and the weather is sh1te. Used to be £1 for 10 mins in Cyprus with the forces - free if you drove or specced in the boats
Old 04 April 2002, 09:33 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

I've still got a sputnik 265 wc in my bedroom.
Hasn't got wet in years and a mosquito 252 in my parents garage used 1/2 dozen times or so ever
Old 04 April 2002, 09:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Sputnik - I remember that as my mate had one. The old F2 Slalom board that was mostly white as used by one Mr Dunkerbeck. I remember an awesome bit of footage I had of my mate whilst I was in a 40hp rescue boat going flat out and he actually overtook us on this board and a 6.0 race sail - now that is shifting
Old 04 April 2002, 10:12 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Wink

Guy’s

So much nostalgic stuff, it’s making me want to go out this weekend (I live in West Kirby!!) I still have a soft for the spot long gone are the days of sleeping in the car at Hell’s Mouth and Rosniger waiting for the gales, hand pain due to the cold. Big grin factor, as well, if you know what I mean...

Cheers dudes,

Where the fek is my harness……
Old 04 April 2002, 10:36 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Cool

I used to have a wicked laugh on that thing Cleddau river again at a place called Lawrenny. The river forks leaving a perfect place to stand waist deep on the shore watching for water skiers (thinking they are) hacking along, if it's force 4 or more...
Wait for 'em to go past jump on the board catch 'em overtake them jumping their wake gybe around them and jump the other wake on the way back I can still picture their faces
Old 04 April 2002, 10:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My harness has probably rusted and rotted to nothingness with the rest of my gear

In stormy conditions I lost my fin after taking off on a fairly large jump - as soon as I got airborne the thing just snapped and flew off into the water. Did the old trick of using the harness at the back of the board as a temp fin and got back ok. Anways apparently a few of the clubs scuba divers went out a week later and found my broken fin but didnt tell me. They then got the other bit that stayed on my board from my mum who'd kept it and they made a big plaque for me and presented it to me on my leaving do. Still got it on my bedroom wall now - the engraved badge says "lost mid-air, DWSC '93".

Its been emotional

Simon.
Old 05 April 2002, 06:50 AM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

The Sputniks were a great generation of boards, My Thommens are both ultra light versions (about 6kg each). Those Ultra Mosquitos, they were the ones that were really wide weren't they? This makes me want to go too, last time I sailed was January last year! Leigh, I can't believe you live in West Kirby and don't sail much! Hope all is well with you? Sleeping in vans, they were good years, Brancaster on the East Coast in Norfolk used to be my haunt, with regular trips to Tiree in the Hebrides (the waves and clean water there, marvellous).

However wakeboarding, bit expensive at some places but how much fun!

Why do you think it is that so many of us have all this kit sitting in our garages doing nothing? Getting old or simply moving on? I'm going to make a point of going over the next couple of weeks now.
Old 05 April 2002, 06:58 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

I'm ashamed to say I think I've just got Lazy

When I finished college I did nothing but windsurf or surf everyday (weather permitting) for about 9 months. I spoilt myself.
I put wind speed & direction gear on the roof of the house, had remote readouts next to my bed and refused to get up if it was less than a force 4.... then it was time to get a job.

Mufasa
Old 05 April 2002, 07:06 AM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Smile

I remember, we used to drive to the coast every weekend just in case it was windy, sometimes we had no wind all weekend and used to just laze around the beach drinking beer etc. Mate used to have a windsock in his garden which he lived by!
Like you say now we all work!