Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Part time valeting and detailing question.

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2010, 08:34 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part time valeting and detailing question.

I currently work as a postie, and with the early starts and early finishes i have a fair bit of time on my hands. Since owning my bugeye i've really got into valeting and detailing.

What i want to know is that if i was to sort out some flyers to deliver locally, would i need to be a registered business or would i just be able to declare the extra earnings from it.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

One of the lads i employ part time, has his own separate business of window cleaning.

He gets a payslip from me for his 16 hours, and then his window cleaning stuff is declared over the top.

Personally i think he is mental, as most window cleaners i know, do everything "off the books" but my lad is trying to do it all legit, with a business bank account, proper insurance etc etc.

Its making him next to nothing for all the extra work, he might as well jack it in and do more hours for me

I doubt you will make much part time, unless you do it all cash in hand.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:14 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

www.detailingworld.co.uk

All you need to know

One piece of advice, get liability insurance.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

It seems like quite a finnicky business to get into, but financially worthwhile if you are good and have a good rep. Things to think about are public liability insurance, the fact you will need data sheets for all the fluids and materials you use, as part of the COSHH laws, risk assessments for all your processes, and if you are doing paint correction with a polisher then make sure you have it spot on, just one mishap = tears before bedtime.

Go for it though, and I wish you luck!
Old 25 August 2010, 06:44 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
It seems like quite a finnicky business to get into, but financially worthwhile if you are good and have a good rep. Things to think about are public liability insurance, the fact you will need data sheets for all the fluids and materials you use, as part of the COSHH laws, risk assessments for all your processes, and if you are doing paint correction with a polisher then make sure you have it spot on, just one mishap = tears before bedtime.

Go for it though, and I wish you luck!
Cheers for the above, would like to start out with doing a bit after work and see where it leads to. Happy in my current job so i shan't be rushing into anything.

A few people round my area have asked me to wash, glaze and wax there cars as they have been impressed with how clean mine is. This is what got me thinking about it, and what i would like to start out offering , would look at getting onto a course to properly learn how to use machine polishers.

Spoke to my old man earlier who used to own a nursing home for alzheimers, he was saying aslong as i declare what i'm earning extra with receipts i'm ok, and there shouldn't be a problem with sending out leaflets.