Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Domestic CCTV Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2010, 01:40 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Domestic CCTV Recommendations

I'm thinking of fitting a couple of CCTV cameras at home, can anyone recommend a good system?

I'm not bothered if it's hard wired or wireless, I just want something that's dependable, and will operate at night, under sodium street lights.

Thanks
Old 18 August 2010, 03:29 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

depends on your budget?

I have set up a wave-p DVR system at home as well as work. I paid about £80 each for the cameras (4) about £30 for all cables and power and £80 for a DVR card. I could have done it for half the price but went for quality mid range stuff.
Old 18 August 2010, 03:43 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I have a Swan 4 Camera night vision system which i bought from Costco for £420. It has a 250gb Hard Drive and comes with a 7" lcd screen which goes on my bedside table.

Its a good bit of kit but i'm not sure about how it would operate under sodium street lights as the infra-red would be affected

I do wish I would have bought PTZ Dome Cameras though so i could move them when I wanted
Old 18 August 2010, 04:17 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Budget - y-cam

Can buy housing to fit out side.

Can record onto you own PC through a Web browser (gash) or through wireless IP software (Blue Iris - very good).

Has built in IR (doesn't go through glass tho).
Old 18 August 2010, 04:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I'm looking for something like this too, 3 maybe 4 cameras. Interested to see what people suggest
Old 18 August 2010, 05:17 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Don't want to go overboard with the spending, but I'm not on a tight budget either.

Ideally I want something that can be connected to the PC
Old 18 August 2010, 05:25 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

Default cameras

I have a lorex 4 camera system from costco £900 with hd recorder 17" screen cop's said it was the clearest pictures they had seen, then the arrested them for trying to nick my trailer from the driveway.

Steve
Old 18 August 2010, 06:44 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Maplin do some good looking stuff. Think you can get a DVR plus 4 camera's for about £300 and you can access it via the PC for viewing. Doubt they are PTZ cameras for that money, but should make a decent system.
Old 18 August 2010, 07:46 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often thought about cctv cameras for my house. The thing is does it actually deter thieves or does it make them think there are high value goods inside and make you a bigger target?

If someone wanted to burgle you/steal your car they only need to stick a hoody on and they are obscured anyway.

Sorry if you feel this is a thread hijack CrisP but I'd be fascinated to know what people think.

ps Crisp, I'm an old member despite my new user name. I remember you but notice you haven't been around for ages.
Old 18 August 2010, 08:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I just want it for watching the dogs in the garden when I'm indoors, and seeing who is at the front door before walking ALL that way lol
Old 18 August 2010, 09:41 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I've often thought about cctv cameras for my house. The thing is does it actually deter thieves or does it make them think there are high value goods inside and make you a bigger target?

If someone wanted to burgle you/steal your car they only need to stick a hoody on and they are obscured anyway.

Sorry if you feel this is a thread hijack CrisP but I'd be fascinated to know what people think.

ps Crisp, I'm an old member despite my new user name. I remember you but notice you haven't been around for ages.
I have got these http://www.securitytec.co.uk/prodvie...ore=DOMEWDR600

and they blend in quite well with my house, just dont get the white ones. You can even get low light LED's so you can't see them. Its nice if I here a bang or funny noise I can flick up the full perimiter of my house on my TV or laptop, makes me sleep easy. It also emails me a picture of anyone who comes to my front door.
Old 18 August 2010, 11:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

It's not really a hijack is it, you're thinking along similar lines to me

If I do install, I'm not going to be putting them in obvious positions, they are for capturing images of wrongdoers, not deterence.

We have been having problems recently with petty thievery on our road (cul de sac) and with two cameras in the right place we can cover all approaches/exits. We have a good idea who the culprit is, but no ecvidence

Who were you previously then DD I still lurk here, but tend not to post as much as I used too
Old 19 August 2010, 01:34 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I got this system then added an extra 2 cameras so £260 all in. Works great day and night, i have it setup to records when motion is detected. Can also view from mobile phone which is cool. Only problem is spiders spinning webs on them, they must be attracted to the IR heat.
Old 19 August 2010, 01:34 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

oops forgot the link

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145920
Old 19 August 2010, 11:01 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
Now that looks like my kinda thing.
Old 19 August 2010, 05:10 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

[quote=CrisPDuk;9554710]It's not really a hijack is it, you're thinking along similar lines to me

If I do install, I'm not going to be putting them in obvious positions, they are for capturing images of wrongdoers, not deterence.

We have been having problems recently with petty thievery on our road (cul de sac) and with two cameras in the right place we can cover all approaches/exits. We have a good idea who the culprit is, but no ecvidence

Who were you previously then DD I still lurk here, but tend not to post as much as I used too [/quote

Thanks. I was just never sure whether its actually a deterrent or more a means to arrest/capture later. I'm sure we'd all just prefer not to be victims in the first place. I wonder what the point of capture is later anyway, the thieves will have disposed of ones belongings and would only be given a slap on the wrists by the courts.

I would still hope it has some deterrent value over and above a burglar alarm, and just makes it a little less likely that they'll pick my house.

I won't give my previous user name out for reasons I won't bore you with except it contained my surname and I became paranoid about identity theft (as you can see I'm a bit paranoid about security)
Old 19 August 2010, 05:12 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I have got these http://www.securitytec.co.uk/prodvie...ore=DOMEWDR600

and they blend in quite well with my house, just dont get the white ones. You can even get low light LED's so you can't see them. Its nice if I here a bang or funny noise I can flick up the full perimiter of my house on my TV or laptop, makes me sleep easy. It also emails me a picture of anyone who comes to my front door.
Can you explain how that works? Do the cameras send the pics to your laptop wirelessly??

Thanks
Old 19 August 2010, 05:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

After some chavvy little **** went down my street one night and vandalised several cars I installed CCTV. Was one see-in-the-dark camera situated outside which I drilled into the wall. It was a wireless camera (except for the power lead obviously) so I situated a small TV/video combi to record in another room.

Recorded every night for about 8 hours and just taped over it. Never had issues again and I've not used it for a while since I sold the scoob. The camera is still outside along with the sticker on the front window of the house.

Ovbiously I had a cheapish set up as only one camera was required. You can get all sorts now, infrared, hard drive recordable etc. so it depends on if you want to go to town on it or not.

My main gripe is what you do with the evidence? Personal justice or pass it onto the powleece who are hand tied to handing out pathetic wrist slaps for vanadlism
Old 20 August 2010, 05:51 PM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I supply and install CCTV systems.

In domestic installs I would use AverDigi 4ch DVR (the recording unit), with colour vandal domes (cant be stoned and don't suffer with spiders and bugs). If you want to see at night you need an IR version. Depending on the lighting level you may still get colour but in low light IR cameras switch to greyscale. Whatever camera you choose look for a sony 1/3" CCD (board) and a 3.6mm lens if you don't go for a varifocal.

The DVR will set you back £120ish with cameras from £70-£90 each. On top of that you need a PSU (power supply for the cameras). Usually about £15 for a regulated 12v output 1000mcA but the juice required depends on number of cameras and if they are IR. The cameras run on 1amp twin or equivalent for power and rg59 co-ax for the video. On top of that you need BCA connectors for each end of cable run.

You can install cheaper systems but if you want a decent picture that the police will take notice of you have to spend the money. You also need CCTV signs at each entry into your property to be covered legally. The AverDigi is a great entry unit but the user interface is a little quirky and can be difficult to see if you are displaying on a conventional CRT screen. Most people have LCDs now anyway

As for the hoodie thing, if people aren't deterred by the fact that security is present, in my experience they will find a way around nearly anything save wiring your property to the mains. CCTV is primarily a deterrent with the cameras hopefully catching the opportunist criminal in the act.

Hope that helps