Energy Drinks.

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2010, 11:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Drinks.

What do you lot make of these?

I used to really hammer Asdas "Blue Charge" when i was doing rotating shiftwork, its was usuall for me to drink 1 litre per night to try and keep me awake past 3am
Followed by Nytol at 8am to go to kip.

Not good.

Recently i picked up a can of Relentless while i was in the shop, i had been having a pretty heavy duty morning shifting quite a lot of 25kg barrels about at work and i could feel myself slowly dieing a death as the afternoon wore on, so i knocked the can back and got myself a nice little boost until home time.

Remembering that Asda do a cheaper RedBull clone, i picked some up just to keep in the fridge at work for killer days when i can not be arsed, and last week i had some.

I had this really strange kind of dull pain in my chest, infact i would not even class it as a pain, more like an ache, seamed pretty strange at the time, but i was busy recovering from some wieghts so put it down to a little too much work done, although i could not work out why it was only on one side, and around the area of my heart

The missus said i was not slurring my words any more than my usuall mongy self and i lived to tell the tale.

This morning i took out the bottle from the fridge as i was still half asleep, and drunk around a quarter of it, and the ache has returned

So i did a little googling.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rgy-drink.html

Anybody else suffered from this?
Old 16 August 2010, 12:27 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

was at a mountain bike race yesterday. one of the sponsers was Monster Energy Drinks. you know big truck, massive set of speakers, the whole nine yards. Anyhoo, Caffeine, taurine and ginsing. It was ******* mingin. the wee girl was passing out 500ml tins of this stuff to kids as young as 4 and 5. so we have the situation of already hyper kids, off their **** on this crap as well. all the chavvy wee ******* from the estates in the town were out in force, and it was all the wee girl could do to beat them off.
Old 16 August 2010, 12:34 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

a drug is a drug even if its claimed to be an 'energy drink'
Old 16 August 2010, 12:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Love the monster juiced flavour.

I did drink 2/3 cans a day but started getting heart burn from them so packed it in.
Old 16 August 2010, 12:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't drink redbull due to excess redbull and vodka in my raving days!

Redbull was passing out free energy shots at the traffic lights going into elfast a few weeks, didn't do much more than a good brew of coffee to be honest.
Old 16 August 2010, 01:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Kids shouldn't drink it IMHO, you should be OK as an ADULT as you no doubt limit how much you drink if you drink too much ie +1 litre then no wonder you're getting chest pains!

TX.

PS

Mate of mine loves strong coffee, round his house one night & he hands me a cup - strongest coffee I've ever tasted! Half hour later my hands started shaking uncontrolably ... WTF says I, don't worry it's just the caffeine says he. Turns out that he made some filter coffee, put another filter in with more coffee & poured the already made filter coffee back in (make sense??) so it was double strength. Caffeine is nasty stuff if taken in a strong dose.

Edit - 6666 posts

Last edited by Terminator X; 16 August 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 16 August 2010, 01:16 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeh you know you have had too much caffiene when you start to get the hand shakes, or when you can start to feel your heart race. Its great for dialing yourself in on one task. Eyes were on stalks the other day when driving home, was a lot more 'aware' of things happening around me.

Tends to make people inpatient though - not good for driving in traffic.
Old 16 August 2010, 01:38 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I have a can of Relentless/Rockstar/Redbull just about every morning, helps me wake up and concentrate on my job lol but I drink a lot of water during the day, suppose that helps balance it out...

Only problem I've ever had with Redbull was when I downed 4 cans on a drive home in the early hours and I couldn't "switch off" to go to sleep when I was home. I still felt tired but just couldn't get into sleep mode at all.
Old 16 August 2010, 01:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh - I have the stuff from aldi's. 25p a can! Tastes exactly the same as RB too. (+ when mixed with voddy, who cares! )

We used to sell all these energy drinks at work (FE college) - it was a FOOFIN nightmare. Hyper kids, mixed with immaturity and testosterone.

As soon as we banned it, normality returned.

Like most things - ok in moderation.

DAn
Old 16 August 2010, 02:23 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

2 can's of Relentless "religiously" every morning for breakfast/the journey to work

same as Jamz3k red bull i cant touch anymore , even swapped to that ***** stuff (lilt energy drink) when drinkin Jaeger's
Old 16 August 2010, 02:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
What do you lot make of these?

I used to really hammer Asdas "Blue Charge" when i was doing rotating shiftwork, its was usuall for me to drink 1 litre per night to try and keep me awake past 3am
Followed by Nytol at 8am to go to kip.

Not good.

Recently i picked up a can of Relentless while i was in the shop, i had been having a pretty heavy duty morning shifting quite a lot of 25kg barrels about at work and i could feel myself slowly dieing a death as the afternoon wore on, so i knocked the can back and got myself a nice little boost until home time.

Remembering that Asda do a cheaper RedBull clone, i picked some up just to keep in the fridge at work for killer days when i can not be arsed, and last week i had some.

I had this really strange kind of dull pain in my chest, infact i would not even class it as a pain, more like an ache, seamed pretty strange at the time, but i was busy recovering from some wieghts so put it down to a little too much work done, although i could not work out why it was only on one side, and around the area of my heart

The missus said i was not slurring my words any more than my usuall mongy self and i lived to tell the tale.

This morning i took out the bottle from the fridge as i was still half asleep, and drunk around a quarter of it, and the ache has returned

So i did a little googling.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rgy-drink.html

Anybody else suffered from this?
This post reminds me of Tommy Cooper when he said to his doctor that it hurt when he raised his right arm above his head, so the doctor said "don't do it then!"

Looks to me that the excess caffeine is not all that good for you.

Les
Old 16 August 2010, 04:05 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Lady I work with seems to live on Red Bull. She is hyper all the time. I've even had emails at work which she has sent at 2am
Old 16 August 2010, 04:30 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Drunk all the energy drinks on the market. 9 years of shift work!!!

Now,

Vitamin b-12 liquid. 90000% rda in 1 dose

And 200mg caffine tabs.

cheaper and none of the suger u get withthe energy drinks
Old 16 August 2010, 04:35 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

don't drink tea or coffee, so when i have a can of energy drink it's pretty noticeable!!

my weapon of choice is yellow monster or pink rockstar............
Old 16 August 2010, 04:58 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

had most of them on the market, trying to stop drinking them though at 55g of sugar a can it aint good for ya. got some 200mg caffeine tabs aswell,

rockstar is my fave, iv never finished a 12hr nightshift and stayed up another 12+ more hours on any other drink
Old 16 August 2010, 05:11 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

mountain dew in the illuminous yellow bottle is a new one ive started on.. love the taste!
Old 16 August 2010, 05:25 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

I used to deliver cars all over the uk an lived on energy drinks ESP relentless managed on a particular long day Peterhead to high Wycombe 8 cans. Had the shakes and palputations not a nice feeling driving a 100 grand car down the m6. Had to cut right down I know drink maybe 1 a day now scary thing is if I don't I get a headache.
Old 16 August 2010, 05:29 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Relentless cherry flavour is my fav,that monster energy i don't like so much,it has a kind of slimy taste to it..I sometimes even mix it with creatine when on a workout day,i have give it a break over the last month though....
Old 16 August 2010, 05:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Relentless seems to give me a bit of a boost, absolutely adore the Monster with a yellow M but not noticed it doing anything. MTN DEW energy is the biggest let down EVER! Doesn't taste like actual MTN DEW and doesn't do owt for me
Old 16 August 2010, 07:22 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Fellas don't drink energy drinks with ASPARTAME in it.That is a replacement for suger & waaay more addictive than suger & don't have enough energy in it for you.Meaning you crave it more & you get almost ZERO effect.Plus you can put more weight on, than off.Diet Coke is one to avoid, unless it's suger again.Caffiene flavoured still lucozade & purple lucozade.Any drink with that in is useless for DIABETICS.The fizzy lucozade is ok, but makes me burp alot ha.

SBT.
Old 16 August 2010, 07:54 PM
Mikee
Scooby Regular

One of my clients asked me to help clear out her garage with her. Her husband manages a successful band who are in part sponsored by 'Relentless' and she had 20 cases of the stuff going out of date in the garage. We took them to the tip- asked one of the guys where to throw them away and he said stack them by the office.

I just have a vision in my mind of 4 or 5 refuse guys running around at crazy speeds wide-eyed everytime I go to the tip now!!!

Old 16 August 2010, 08:23 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Don't touch the stuff, it makes proper wired!

Suffering with insomnia is never fun, but when you feel you could run a marathon at 2am it's just not right.
Old 16 August 2010, 09:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pfft lightweights, this is the stuff don't say i didn't warn you.

http://www.newimagesupplements.co.uk...7_270909.aspx#

As for red bull etc, i very rarely touch the stuff, i find it's energy on borrowed time.
Old 16 August 2010, 10:37 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I had 8+ cans of red bull with a touch of vodka on a night out, was fine all night a tad hyper went to bed at the end of the night ok and went to sleep as normal. For the next week I had a twitchy eyelid and my knee kept twitching
Old 17 August 2010, 02:02 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Can't drink redbull due to excess redbull and vodka in my raving days!
Exactly the same here. Just the smell of it makes me feel ill now.