Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I need some advice, following on from the wall plastering thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2010, 05:42 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice, following on from the wall plastering thread.

Those on the plaster thread will know that i recently gutted a room virtually back to a bare wall state and i was asking for advice, a further problem has come to light.

A damp patch has appeared on the floor under the window, when i stripped the room of wallpaper, carpet and everything else the floor was bone dry and so were the walls.

The only thing that has changed since then is the room has been cement rendered and skimmed, at some point it looks like a professional damp course has been put into the room because around the walls we had bricks with round holes in along the bottom of the walls.

We also had UPVC windows fitted 3 weeks ago, maybe they are leaking into the internal cavity wall and travelling down to the floor. I`m only guessing with the windows as i`m not an expert in this area.

This is a picture before the walls were cement rendered and skimmed where you can see the round holes in the bricks where it looks like a damp course has been put in

The plasterer cement rendered over the bricks that had holes in, i asked him at the time if that was ok and he said yes as the holes are just where they injected into the brickwork. Thats fair enough if true, i`m not an expert in this area so i wouldn`t know if thats true or not.

These are pictures of the damp that is now coming through on the floor, as i said above it was bone dry when i gutted the room but since its been cement rendered and skimmed we now have damp in the floor.

The pics below are of the exact same wall as above only after being cement rendered and skimmed.

Any advice or opinion is welcome on what i need to do next or what the likely cause maybe.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 06 August 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07 August 2010, 01:11 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Any opinions ?

I just need to know what the probable cause of the damp is, the room has never had damp before and its had a full damp course done around the bottom of the walls. The only things that has changed recently is we have had UPVC windows and the plastering done, as you can see in pic 1 at the top their is no damp, the pics after are of the same spot where damp has apeared which was after the cement rendering and plastering was finished.

I appreciate its difficult to tell from just photos what the cause maybe but this has been a totally dry room for years and the only thing thats changed recently is windows were fitted approx 3 weeks ago and then the walls were cement rendered and skimmed, the damp appeared after the rendering and skim.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 07 August 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07 August 2010, 04:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

has the room got any ventillation?
Old 07 August 2010, 04:47 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not plaster (render) down to the floor. remove 1" min all along . He has bridged the damp proof course by plastering down to floor.
Old 07 August 2010, 07:15 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

The damp isn't on the new plaster and the plaster appears to be an inch or so clear of the floor. It looks more like leaked water than damp, although its hard to tell from photos.

Damp on the wall wouldn't cause damp on the floor, unless its running off. Could be leaking from somewhere? You say window was replaced, make sure its sealed properly on the outside. Also check the window drain holes actually drain to the outside and don't leak into the wall (have seen this a few times before).
Old 07 August 2010, 07:57 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

the holes were obviously there to let it breathe

drill em again
Old 07 August 2010, 08:41 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

lol. the holes are were the dpc (damp proof course) is. If a wall is damp this is the way we do a new dpc >> drill holes and inject a new membrain (dpc) >> Just knock off render to clear holes job done.

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2010, 08:50 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money is on a window fitting problem, seen it so many times before. Either its not been sealed properly or as mentioned above the drain holes are in the wrong place.

*edit* is it always damp or only after a wet spell?
Old 08 August 2010, 09:41 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
My money is on a window fitting problem, seen it so many times before. Either its not been sealed properly or as mentioned above the drain holes are in the wrong place.

*edit* is it always damp or only after a wet spell?
The damp patch only appeared recently, we did have some rain around the time it appeared but we have also had rain quite a few times since the windows were fitted approx 3 weeks ago and this damp patch only appeared approx on the thursday just gone.

How do i check if the new windows have drain holes, where would they be situated and how do i check if they are positioned to drain out ? Ive had a quick look and i can`t see anything obvious, they looked well sealed on the outside as well.
Old 08 August 2010, 09:49 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

open the window look down in the inside there will be in the bottom of each side.
Old 08 August 2010, 10:41 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
open the window look down in the inside there will be in the bottom of each side.
Alan, from what i can see i can`t spot any drain holes. Their are no holes inside the window openers on the side, their are no obvious holes outside where water can escape. Here are some pics of inside the window.

Old 08 August 2010, 03:07 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

No drain holes. They are usually slots that look like elongated drilled holes. There will be similar slots outside on the bottom of the window covered with small plastic covers, or underneath where they will drain onto the sill. Have a look at the top, see if they've fitted the window upside down!
Old 08 August 2010, 03:57 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

No drain holes. They are usually slots that look like elongated drilled holes. There will be similar slots outside on the bottom of the window covered with small plastic covers, or underneath where they will drain onto the sill. Have a look at the top, see if they've fitted the window upside down!
the window has 2 openings at least thats what i can see , how could it be fitted up side down
Old 08 August 2010, 04:27 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Is the damp only under the window? go out side look at the outside of the building are there any water stains from above or cracks.If the damp is only under window must be tracking back from the out side in .Had similar problem on clients window used hose pipe soon found the problem,pikey window fitters xx
Old 08 August 2010, 07:10 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gregsti01
Is the damp only under the window? go out side look at the outside of the building are there any water stains from above or cracks.If the damp is only under window must be tracking back from the out side in .Had similar problem on clients window used hose pipe soon found the problem,pikey window fitters xx
Their is no visible sign of any damp outside, the walls we have are cavity walls.

Outside their is a small concrete area on the floor that runs the width of the house, its where we have a garden bench etc. Now in places the concrete doesn't go right upto the brickwork under the window which means that in places their is a half an inch gap between the wall under the window and the concrete.

Its always been that way and their has never been a problem in the past and on many occasion ive hosed down the concrete area in the past with plenty of water flowing and no damp has ever appeared inside, i dried out the damp with a small blower which only took 15 mins and today ive been pouring a small amount of water in front of the window and down into these small gaps once every hour and so far nothing has appeared on the inside.

I`ll post a pic later of the gap in the concrete what i'm on about, i'm trying to eliminate possibilities one by one starting from the outside with that small gap in the concrete. If that remains clear i'll them move onto watering the windows, if that remains clear then it has to be something to do with the plasterer's cement rendering on the inside where in a few places it touches the floor.

The window has a side and top opener at each side, same as in this pic on both sides with a clear viewing area in the middle

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 08 August 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08 August 2010, 07:33 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Pics of the outside wall area, those gaps to the wall have always been there and we have never had any signs of damp in the past. The small wet area is just from when i was using a watering can earlier to test if the damp patch was coming from outside.

As i said above, ive dried out the damp area inside and covered it with dust which will make it easier to spot any damp patches coming through. I'll keep testing with water to the outside of the walls tomorow, if nothing has come through i'll move onto pouring water onto the windows on tuesday. Its just a matter of trying to eliminate things.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 08 August 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08 August 2010, 07:33 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

That rules out window being upside down. If you've had no damp issues at all and the only two things that have changed are the plaster and window then its one of them. My money is on the window, still!!

*edit*, wheres the DPC on the outside wall in relation to the concrete?

Last edited by BLU; 08 August 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08 August 2010, 07:38 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

*edit*, wheres the DPC on the outside wall in relation to the concrete?[/COLOR]
It was all done internally through the bricks at the bottom of the wall, ive not seen any evidence of anything being done outside apart from some cavity wall insulation that was done approx 10 months ago.
Old 08 August 2010, 08:39 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

When they fitten the windows were the reveals closed? I just wonder if they have moved a cavity tray so now you are drawing moisture into the inner wall instead of sending it the correct way to the outside.
Old 08 August 2010, 08:57 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

As it is ground floor measure from window sill inside to floor level,go outside and measure is concrete to sill higher or lower?
Old 08 August 2010, 09:18 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
When they fitten the windows were the reveals closed?
I wouldn't know what reveals are and whether they were closed.

Originally Posted by Gregsti01
As it is ground floor measure from window sill inside to floor level,go outside and measure is concrete to sill higher or lower?
Inside its 35 half inches to the bottom of the sill from the floor, outside its 41 inches from the concrete floor to the bottom of the sill.
Old 12 August 2010, 10:20 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I dried out the damp area just over a week ago and touch wood ive not noticed any new damp spots since, we have had a little bit of rain recently which has been off and on and its still dry. Ive also been pouring water on the outside wall area from a watering can and its remained dry.

Could it possibly have been some water from either the cement render or the plaster drying out thats drained off downwards ? I'll just keep an eye on it for a while especially if we get any heavy rain.