Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tv for the conservatory led,lcd,plasma

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2010, 08:29 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tv for the conservatory led,lcd,plasma

We are going to have a conservatory build next month and I would like to put a tv on the wall. We are having a brick wall each side so there will be no problem there. We are also going to have a tinted glass roof so this should help reflect some light.

My question is what type of tv is going to best because there is going to be a lot of light. I have been told led would be best then lcd.

Has anyone got a tv in a conservatory ? What type and size you got ?

Any pictures

Thanks for the help.
Old 02 August 2010, 08:58 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Plasma will always give a more vibrant picture than LCD, plus in my experience, even the latest LCD stuff can't hold a candle to plasma when dealing with fast moving images. Put together with LCD black and contrast issues, I'd deffo say plasma - only downside I can think of is (much) higher power consumption than LCD. Lots of people worry about image retention/screen burn with plasmas, but that's really a thing of the past now - I've fallen asleep in front of my 42" Viera when gaming and had some IR after a couple of hours of static image :O, but a few minutes of "snow" (no signal) sorted it out.

My Panasonic is magic, but I've seen some Samsung & cheaper plasmas look properly gash...For the best impartial AV advice, check out http://www.avforums.com/

Last edited by CAT2; 02 August 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02 August 2010, 09:38 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks I understand plasma is better than lcd but I was thinking about the reflection I would get in a conservatory would this make a plasma harder to see. Would it reflect more light than a lcd tv.
Old 02 August 2010, 09:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LCD mate, what size of screen are you looking? Most LED backlit LCD's are overly expensive and poor looking. Depending on your needs, I'd look at LG 32/42/47 LF7700 range as they are very impressive for the dosh!
Old 03 August 2010, 12:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Thanks I understand plasma is better than lcd but I was thinking about the reflection I would get in a conservatory would this make a plasma harder to see. Would it reflect more light than a lcd tv.

I think its the reverse; LCDs struggle in bright daylight. Think of using a mobile phone or laptop outside..its more or less the same technology, phones are LED backlit too, just like an LED TV.

Unless you have blinds, I think I'd go for a plasma.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 August 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03 August 2010, 12:45 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Other way round Ali, shiney plasma screen reflects in direct light where as the flat screen of the LCD makes it visible in high light areas.
Old 03 August 2010, 01:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Maybe both are usless in the sun then; because our LCD in the kitchen is useless unless I put the blind down (gets the afternoon sun). Its not the TV as its predecessor was the same (until it broke).

Brightness still has to be pretty high, which then washes out all the black. Although it being the kitchen its not the main TV so I'm not fussed, however if it was something I'd had to sit down and watch, I'd find it intolerable.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 August 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2010, 03:12 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

hope these replies have helped ha ha, can I throw rear projection into the mix just to confuse you a little more
Old 03 August 2010, 06:39 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest mate its basically a waste of time, in summer there will be so much light that the TV will be unwatchable (whether lcd, plasma etc)
Old 03 August 2010, 08:20 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I'd buy the cheapest: the gippos will have it away the first time you set foot out of the house!
Old 03 August 2010, 08:50 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but have you thought about installing a heat cool pump?

We had a conservatory built a couple of years ago and based on a recommendation, had a Daikin climate control unit installed. I think it cost about £1800 but it has made it the nicest place in the house to be. You really can have it as hot or cold as you want and ours will cool the whole of the ground floor.

If you do/are considering one its better to have it installed whilst the conservatory is being built as cabling and condensate waste pipe can be routed more easily. Also, get the most powerful unit you can.
Old 03 August 2010, 09:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vallumlj
We recently bought a Panasonic 50S20 and that is supposed to have an anti-glare screen but its just as bad as our our PX70. Its not a big issue because we have dark blinds.

We bought the S20 and was given a BS850 Bluray Recorder free.
Old 03 August 2010, 09:33 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

LCD's are best in bright rooms - plasma's are more suited to a darker room, so LCD would be definitely my choice in a place like a conservatory. But as mentioned in very bright weather it will still be a pain to see, but lcd will give you the best chance!
Old 03 August 2010, 09:51 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

seriously, don't get a plasma for a brightly lit room!!
Old 03 August 2010, 10:17 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have a Thomson 14 inch screen TV in my office/conservatory. Sits on a spare desk next to the stereo set-up. But it did cost £20! About 12 years old and excellent. But I tend to only watch TV at night so that solves the bright light thing. All glass on walls so couldn't hang anything on those even if I could afford it!!

PS. Do get a roof vent installed as it will let the heat out quickly.

dl
Old 03 August 2010, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Plasms is certainly the best picture all round.

My Panny has not got a shiny screen.

Les
Old 03 August 2010, 11:41 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Plasms is certainly the best picture all round.

My Panny has not got a shiny screen.

Les
Same here, I've got an 18 month old Panasonic Viera, which was the most recommended one I could find under £1k at the time and picture quality is generally mouth watering. It sits facing a six-sash bay window and the only time I have issues is when the sun shines directly on it - I've got seperate curtains for each sash and drawing one curtain solves that.

My M-I-L has a reasonably new & pricey Sony LCD in her conservatory and it looks pants even when it's overcast, unwatchable when it's sunny......
Old 04 August 2010, 01:55 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Most of the arguments are totally irrelevant until we know what size screen the OP is after.

Depending of this aspect, it may make the decision for him given that you can't get Plasma smaller than 40" these days readily.

From a purely performance point of view, Plasma has less deficiencies than LCD and would always be my preferred technology.

Having installed some of the new LED screens, I have to say that some of those are also very good.

Unless I absolutely had to, I would never buy LCD and I have been supplying and installing screens for over 20 years.

Jason
Old 04 August 2010, 02:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
To be honest mate its basically a waste of time, in summer there will be so much light that the TV will be unwatchable (whether lcd, plasma etc)
Yup.

My advice would be to invest in roof and window decent blinds and a cheaper lcd tv to help offset the costs. it will not matter how much £££ you chuck at the tv unless you fit blinds.
Old 04 August 2010, 03:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It would be really disappointing to find that you have too much light to see the TV properly. I think you would be well advised to think hard about Paul's advice.

Les
Old 04 August 2010, 04:40 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Currently have a Panasonic Viera 37" LED LCD in the conservatory wall mounted to a brick wall, with white blinds. With the sun Shining it's not too bad but you need to find the right picture balance with it, but would consider a wall bracket that can tilt side to side, as what I found the fixed position can be a bit of a pain for viewing.
Old 04 August 2010, 04:42 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

just have a couple of ipads lying around for media consumption
Old 04 August 2010, 04:46 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be looking for at least a 46" but most likely 50".

I'm not keen on having blinds I was hoping the tinted roof will reflect most of the sun and we don't really get the sun on the back of our house.

I might wait until the conservatory is build then try my living room tv in there to see what it's like.

Thanks again
Old 04 August 2010, 04:48 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

That size a Plasma. I know the panasonics have a ECO mode which adjust the brightness of the picture relative tot he brightness of the room. May help a bit with the viewing in daylight.
Old 04 August 2010, 05:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Most certainly whatever TV it is, it MUST have a light sensr (sometimes called "magic eye", "Intellisense" etc). So it'll adapt the picture settings to the light conditions.

Our lounge TV has this and its a very handy feature. Even our old Philips CRT had it (damn good telly that was, only the most recent-ish 200hz+ sets have exceled it for picture motion fluidity).