Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cupboard and drawer doors - help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2010, 02:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cupboard and drawer doors - help please.

As some know the Mrs is pregnant and we're gonna try do as much decorating as poss before the little 'un is born. One thing we're going to do is replace all the kitchen cupboard and drawer doors. We can't afford a new kitchen so think this will freshen up things with a new sink, tap etc.

So I've measured the sizes accurately and got the following.

Top cupboard doors: w496 x 570mm (x4)
Bottom Cupboard doors: w496 x 722mm (x4)

Drawer doors
Top: w496 x 170mm (x1)
Middle: w496 x 275mm (x1)
Bottom: w496 x 275mm (x1)

Does anyone know if these are standardish sizes and where would be best to get replacements from. We'd like a different style although not too different and have thought of the usual places like B&Q, Wickes, Ikea.

In the Lincs area and pending I can fit them in the car don't mind travelling a few miles out of town.

Cheers
Old 01 August 2010, 03:13 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Why not give them a good clean,and paint the handles a different colour. That's all we did and it looks miles better
Old 01 August 2010, 03:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You can buy loads of different types of handles in the usual DIY places, normally quite cheap.

I would say replacement handles would be better than paint as people touching the handles will usually mess them up if they are painted?

I painted the cupboard doors at the car wash (a nice beige colour lol) and added some new handles when i refurbed the office 6 years ago, looked spiffing
Old 01 August 2010, 03:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Good suggestion lads but 2 of the cupboard doors where plates, glasses etc are stored are broken so need replacing. I thought it was a good opportunity to replace them all so I don't have an odd looking kitchen Otherwise some different handles and other tit bits would suffice.

And I'm not in a council owned property so no free kitchen either - boo!!

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 01 August 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01 August 2010, 03:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Do what they used to do in that TV program.

Same old cupboard doors, but just MDF them to ****ery on the outside, big sheet of MDF, draw mad things on it like cakes, drinks, plates, *****

Then jigsaw them out and use them to cover over the old doors
Old 01 August 2010, 03:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Do what they used to do in that TV program.

Same old cupboard doors, but just MDF them to ****ery on the outside, big sheet of MDF, draw mad things on it like cakes, drinks, plates, *****

Then jigsaw them out and use them to cover over the old doors

But seriously!
Old 01 August 2010, 04:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

B&Q and Wickes do just doors, but prices have jumped in recent years. There are a few smaller companies who advertise for refurbishing such as THIS FIRM near me. Also, handles cost a fortune at places like B&Q. We did a farmhouse kitchen at our last house and fitted ceramic t-bar and drop handles like these...

...and they were £5-9 (now probably £7-12) at the big DIY places. We bought them from HERE for 78p-£1.38 each.

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2010, 06:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
B&Q and Wickes do just doors, but prices have jumped in recent years. There are a few smaller companies who advertise for refurbishing such as THIS FIRM near me. Also, handles cost a fortune at places like B&Q. We did a farmhouse kitchen at our last house and fitted ceramic t-bar and drop handles like these...

...and they were £5-9 (now probably £7-12) at the big DIY places. We bought them from HERE for 78p-£1.38 each.
Thanks for that Dave. I've bookmarked it for future use as I've seen the price of handles etc

We're gonna pop to Wickes and B&Q tomorrow to see if...
1. they have the sizes required
2. the kinda prices we're expected to pay

Then it's saving up really.
Old 01 August 2010, 07:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Glad to help. We needed about 26 handles for our kitchen, and chose to add another 16 to a merchants chest of drawers to give a complimenting look to an old unit we had. At B&Q they would have been over £200, from SPL they were less than £30 the lot Been back since for bits for the new house, including modernising the same old merchants chest
Old 01 August 2010, 07:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Glad to help. We needed about 26 handles for our kitchen, and chose to add another 16 to a merchants chest of drawers to give a complimenting look to an old unit we had. At B&Q they would have been over £200, from SPL they were less than £30 the lot Been back since for bits for the new house, including modernising the same old merchants chest
See what you're saying mate. Well we're gonna have a mooch around tomorrow as we'd like a closish colour match for the current doors and trim. It's only the doors and drawers we're replacing as well as the sink and under oven panels so I've got to be careful with the choice of handle.

We will be sticking (probably) lino tiles down over the current wooden flooring after the doors etc. have been replaced. Probably bit by bit but the doors etc, will get done as soon as funds allow. Hope I find something suitable for reasonable cost tomorrow.
Old 02 August 2010, 12:00 AM
scot1888
Scooby Regular

hi mate

i may be able to help you with some of this stuff. after buying a new kitchen i kept re-designing it so was left with a load of stuff left over. will get a list of what there is and poss a few pics of colour/style etc to you tomo. the sizes sound a little different from what i have but i do also have wall and floor cabinets left.
Old 02 August 2010, 12:14 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scot1888
hi mate

i may be able to help you with some of this stuff. after buying a new kitchen i kept re-designing it so was left with a load of stuff left over. will get a list of what there is and poss a few pics of colour/style etc to you tomo. the sizes sound a little different from what i have but i do also have wall and floor cabinets left.
No problem, worst I'll say is thanks but no thanks mate. Send us a pm or whatnot
Old 02 August 2010, 11:22 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Vinyl wrap some MDF and attach handles of your choice
Old 04 September 2010, 11:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Saw this and thought of you Andy.....

B&Q door and drawer fronts very cheap !!!!!

Massive savings
Old 04 September 2010, 11:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Saw this and thought of you Andy.....

B&Q door and drawer fronts very cheap !!!!!

Massive savings
Ah bugger, I'd forgotten about this thread. I managed (through knowing the right people) to get all new cupboard and drawer fronts for nothing. New steel handles and hinges etc. All I had to do was manually drill new hinge holes onthe cabinets. Also laid a new floor on the kitchen and have painted the ceiling with proper Teflon kitchen paint. Just got the Walls to do now tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for the link though, may help others out.
Old 05 September 2010, 12:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Free, my favourite price Especially with Quidco cashback
Old 05 September 2010, 02:10 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

These are standard 500 hi-line, drawerline and wall unit measurements. Anything you buy from a DIY chain in 500 sizes should fit. Do the cabs have a round hinge recess? If so, you will replace a door in about 2 minutes. If they don't have the recess, it is a bit more tricky
Old 05 September 2010, 08:47 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
These are standard 500 hi-line, drawerline and wall unit measurements. Anything you buy from a DIY chain in 500 sizes should fit. Do the cabs have a round hinge recess? If so, you will replace a door in about 2 minutes. If they don't have the recess, it is a bit more tricky
Yeah the person I got them from explained about the generic sizes so I knew what was needed for the kitchen. The doors were pre drilled for the hinge circular recesses so that helped. I just used a pencil and ruler to Mark out where to drill new holes. Quite simple really but a little fiddely. Looks loads better than it did and has freshened up a dull tired looking kitchen.