Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sky plus viewing problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2010, 09:12 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sky plus viewing problems ???

Guys having just moved house I am having a few problems with my sky tv and just wonder if anyone here could offer and advice before I have to phone sky again and no doubt have them send an engineer round at some large cost to myself !!

okay have a skyplus box that was brought with me from the last house, there was a dish already installed here but straight away I noticed the LNB on this dish only has a single feed on it where as the one at the old house had a double feed LNB.

so okay plugged the sky dish cable /plug into the skyplus box and it picked up 99.9% off the channels, problem was with ITV1 where it would just come up with a sat signal not being received message. strange thing was tried the same channel later on that night and the channel was now being received ??!!!

following morning same problem no itv1, phoned sky and the told me to carry out a few tests but still nothing in way off picture being received, said it was very strange to only have problems with the one channel not being received but to leave it 24 hours and they would do a manual channel send ??? to see if it curred the problem.

also noticed that after trying to record a few programmes they all came up with the message " failed " when I went to view them ??!!

tried a master reset last night but although all channels were showing up okay afterwards the itv1 soon went off and I continued to have no record working.

so okay my guess is that it has something to do with the single LNB on the dish, had a look on ebay and there appears to be a load off twin / quad lnb update kits at what seem like very cheap prices, just wonder if this is likel to be the problem and if so how easy is it to fit the new LNB to the dish ? does a new cable have to actually come into the house and be routed to the skyplus box itself or is it all done at the dish end ???

bit confused by it all if someone could advise me, would certainly be much appreciatted !!
Old 19 July 2010, 09:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hutton_d

Ooops just reread your last bit. You need 2 cables for Sky+ so you need at least a double LNB. They seem to be fitting quad-LNBs by default now (at least in my area). So, if you're having to fit another cable to your box you may as well replace the existing one as well. That way it's all kosher.

Dave

I was told the same by the sky chap who installed my Sky+, he seemed nice and honest enough and had little to gain by telling me porkies.

He fitted a quad LNB so easy to upgrade to HD
Old 19 July 2010, 09:39 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers for the quick repy dave, are you saying a second cax cable comes into the house for skyplus or is it a single cable from the box itself and then split at the LNB end ?? obviously be a whole lot easier if it was just required at aerial end.

may give sky a phone and see if they will check over / update the LNB .
Old 19 July 2010, 09:50 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's a double coax type cable, different to the normal cable.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The quad lnb's are available from the likes of Maplin. You run a second coax from the lnb to the sky+box, it has two 'sat' inputs
Old 19 July 2010, 10:02 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You can run a single coax from the the dish along as you fit a quad LNB.

Your problem seems to be either out of alignment or the LNB is stuggling switching polarity hence working one second then not.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2010, 10:03 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You can run a single coax from the the dish along as you fit a quad LNB.

Your problem seems to be either out of alignment or the LNB is stuggling switching polarity hence working one second then not.
Old 19 July 2010, 11:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Easy to replace the single LNB for a quad. You need two coax cables from the quad LNB to the Sky box. You can buy quad LNB's easily enough off the net or whatever.

If the dish is not properly aligned then you can either buy an instrument to do it yourself or get a local tv man to do it for you. Caravanners use the instrument to align their dishes and it is not expensive.

You need to get good quality satellite coax, the cheap stuff is not worth bothering with.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 19 July 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:45 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect again really do appeciatte the advice given guys, gave sky a phone today and was advised that it would cost me £60 to have an engineer to come around and fit a new upgraded LNB to my dish. a quick phone call to sky again to there cancellations dept resulted in them advising me that the engineer would be around early next week at no cost !!!
Old 19 July 2010, 01:04 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Tell me you at least tried to blag a hd box too?
Old 19 July 2010, 02:15 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Tell me you at least tried to blag a hd box too?
Never thought off that !!! nope to be honest with you dont really want one, if I am correct it costs you to actuall view HD channels anyway so unless they were giving away a free subscription as well then guess the hd box would be off no use anyway !!!

nope a saving off a £60 call out fee is good enough for me !!!!
Old 20 July 2010, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

HD costs £10 a month for over 39 HD channels.

Les