Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is the best method of cleaning Pewter and then keeping it clean ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 10:39 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What is the best method of cleaning Pewter and then keeping it clean ?

We have been given 'in laws collection of small , old pewter measuring jugs. Some had been on the tops of kitchen units and have a coating of grease and dust, others are just dusty and dull.
I was thinking that the best way to clean them would be to soak them in soapy water and then a gentle scrub with a nail brush. Didn't think the dishwasher was a good idea !
But once clean, what is the best way to keep them looking nice ? I know not to use a silver or metal polish but can something else be used ?

If there is some knowledge out there then please share.

Thanks.

JBL
Old 18 July 2010, 10:42 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

not sure about best way to clean but you could try something like the A303 stuff people use on engines to actually help keep it that way after, its a case of keeping the oxygen and moisture away, I have been polishing a lot of alloy bits up and then giving them a fine coat of clear coat to stop them dulling again,

not exactly what your after but may help a little.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:07 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pewter, hmm well i clean and restore a lot of straight razors so should be a similar process.

For some really tough marks and stains i use say 800 grit wet and dry or some wire wool, i then use a cotton polishing wheel on the bench grinder, you can get them for dremels and angle grinders, some wadding like brasso is good, should be fine for pewter.

I usually finish off with some autosol but i know a lot of folk swear by maas polish.

To protect it a lot of people would use boeshield, it's what boeing use to keep rust at bay, supposedly one of the best, personally i use a bottle of tuf glude, i've not had one razor rust yet.

If you want to protect it on the cheap then camelia oil will suffice, i believe it's almond oil and has some anti rust protection, some folk use baby oil as it's just scented mineral oil anyway.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Might be worth trying some diluted vinegar, but check it on a hidden area first.

Les
Old 18 July 2010, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I asked Mrs Leslie-the fount of all cleaning knowledge. She said soapy water was best initially, it needs gentle treatment and then a metal polish which is not chemical, they suggest the impregnated wadding type. The finishing is best done with a chamois leather or soft cloth. Rather than coat it with lacquer, it is best to clean it again periodically. Don't think that pewter is supposed to look highly polished anyway.

Les
Old 18 July 2010, 12:52 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks all, some really helpful tips/advice.

I will continue with the soapy clean and then perhaps try the baby oil finish ( 18mth Grandson living with us). I was aware that the pewter has a dull finish rather than a gloss but didn't want to be cleaning it "too" often.

Again, thanks .

Cheers

JBL
Old 18 July 2010, 01:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Duraglit any good?

Chip

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2010, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats probably the stuff Chip, I could not remember its name!

Les