Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Redundancy

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2010, 01:14 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redundancy

Well I've been given my date, I leave work on the 30th of July, I've decided to go down the HGV route, the only problem with this is, to get your provisional licence you need a level of acuity of 3/60 without any correction, I went last weekend to see about laser treatment to get me to this level and they only do laser treatment up to a level of + 4.00 and my levels are + 6.00 in my right eye and + 7.00 in my left eye so the next option is a lens implant oops no go there either, my eyes are too thin to accommodate this ( they must the only thin part of my body ) so the last option is lens replacement but this was a no go either so I thought thats it I'm fooked but he tested me to the required levels needed and to my great surprise I passed only just tho been to my optician today and he confirmed thats they are just within the range needed, so I'm gonna book for my medical and get my licence I'm hoping that by Christmas I will have killed at least three prostitutes
so at the moment the only downside is its time for the toys to go for something a bit more practical until I'm sorted then I can be back in the fast lane

so Pm me if ya interested in the bike or car
Old 17 July 2010, 01:19 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

unlucky chap. hope you get sorted soon. can u not buy a scrapper and SORN the other two until things pick up again?
Old 17 July 2010, 01:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

DARB, been exactly where you are going now (except I have still to get my medical done lol) we got rid of 2 cars (one 2 years old and one 1 year old) and substituted them for an older one, but one that still allows a bit of fun 3lt S type.

Good luck
Old 17 July 2010, 06:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Better to lay-up than sell, if you possibly can. Shop around for your medical btw - mine cost about three times what my friends paid! On the up-side - my HGV course only cost about hlf of what one friend paid.

I could do with that doctors details too, as I may need him for an MSA test soon...
Old 17 July 2010, 06:44 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

What is an MSA test then? A quick google brings up "Maryland School Assessment" I'm guessing it isn't that!

Good luck Darb
Old 17 July 2010, 07:49 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

DARB - Try these http://doctorsonwheels.ebswebdev.co.uk/ they are a fraction of the cost of your local surgery or at least they should be.

The link was provided to me as part of the greater west midlands retraining project, to get my medical for my HGV too, although I have not used them yet.
Old 17 July 2010, 08:28 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

I would have a good think about taking your hgv.I am just about to be made redundant for the third time .The haulage industry is on its knees,wages poor,hours long.When you pass your test and start looking for jobs the first question you will be asked is how much experience have you got? If you have your heart set on it good luck.At least the trucks are top notch these days not like thirty years ago when i started donkey jackets on and blankets round my legs to keep warm.I would like it known that no prostitutes have been harmed in those thirty years.

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2010, 09:05 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
the first question you will be asked is how much experience have you got?
I haven't got a clue, but, if I was some sort of manager in that business and times were hard, wouldn't taking on a less experienced driver who demanded less money than a more experienced driver be a good thing?

Not for the experienced driver obviously, but does it work like that?
Old 17 July 2010, 10:30 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I haven't got a clue, but, if I was some sort of manager in that business and times were hard, wouldn't taking on a less experienced driver who demanded less money than a more experienced driver be a good thing?

Not for the experienced driver obviously, but does it work like that?
Depends. An inexperienced driver will be slower (unable to meet deadlines) & more prone to damage. An experienced driver is always preferable if you can get one.
One thing to remember OP is that agencies will always give you work to enable you to become "experienced" slightly less pay & you will probably have to be on call but it will enable you to take a step onto the ladder.
Old 18 July 2010, 09:43 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

It is all about insurance costs...... lorry + trailer + load could easily be worth in excess of £100,000.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Best of luck

Les
Old 24 July 2010, 12:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
What is an MSA test then? A quick google brings up "Maryland School Assessment" I'm guessing it isn't that!

Good luck Darb
RAC MSA - Motor Sports Association; the governing body and issuer of motorsport licences.
Old 24 July 2010, 03:34 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a mate who drives class 1 and has been doing it for 6yrs now since leaving the Army.He said the easiest and less costly way for you to get in is either through supermarket/Parcel companies.They will take you on as a new driver and train you up and put you through your test,but you have to sign a contract with them usually for 2 yrs minimum.Only thing is if they are still doing this because new drivers were passing the test and then braking the contract by leaving,he said some Sainsbury's depots were doing this,and the last of the parcel companies he knew that were doing it was Interlink/Parceline think they are now DPD.He also said don't be taken in by Agency that advertise HGV drivers urgently needed,it's just to get you to sign on the books and sometimes you are lucky if you get 2 days a week work,you may have to sign with 2 or 3 of them.Now he drives doing Heavy Haulage moving the Cat Machines/parts about the country and to the ports Southampton etc.He got a nice truck and is earning pritty decent money and likes being out and about traveling..
Old 24 July 2010, 06:43 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I know a lot of drivers who were recently made redundant and some of the jobs were only paying minimum wage, thats full HGV and experienced. My instinct ( i work in logistics) is that it is not an up and coming profession.
Old 24 July 2010, 09:47 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Try a company called RH STEVENS they run dry bulk tankers.They often visit our company,and one of their drivers told me they are looking for drivers right now.