Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone ever gone for a complete career change?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2010, 09:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever gone for a complete career change?

I'm thinking about it and looking for advice basically. Any input from people who have done it, would be much appreciated.

It been triggered by the fact I recieved my appraisal results this week, and the news couldn't have been worse as far as I'm concerned. I currently work on a techie support desk, and in last years appraisal, a new job role was discusssed. This year, the boots been put and and I've been told in no uncertain terms, that whilst I'm the best person for it, I won't get it and an application from me will not be entertained.

Recently also, well for months if I'm honest, I've increasingly felt is like same s**t, different day, and feel the role is slowly being turned into a call centre, which isn't my idea of a good job. There isn't all that room within my office for transfering depts either, so I have come to realise its time to leave for pastures new.

2 thoughts I did have, which were Police (not recruiting) or paramedic, but the thought of another 3 years at uni scares the daylights out of me.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:11 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same
Old 16 July 2010, 09:57 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Yes I have done it Twice both at 10 year intervals.

It depends on what you do I suppose as my first was leaving engineering into Estimation.. a big jump but the financial rewards were amazing the second from Estimating to the financial industry is a little different especailly as I don't now earn much and are starting from the bottom, although the challenge is making it interesting.

It may be worth looking for something in your field but with a twist maybe? but good luck and don't be afraid whatever you do just make sure you have something up your sleeve just in case it don't work out.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Done it a few times,

redundancy & the need to career progress

You say another 3 years of uni scares the daylights out of you ..

well your not ready to change!

You got a bad appraisal and your feeling a bit pissed off

sorry if it seems harsh, but ive been there!!!

if you want a career change, you accept whats coming in the way of retraining etc.

I went back to college after 16 years in the work place to do a 5 year part

time professional diploma/degree

14hr days became the norm

i wanted out, found out the way to do it made my plans and went.

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 10:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm on ten year cycles as well, although the last one got dragged out to twelve due to golden handcuffs. Right now I'm earning next to nothing - especially when compared to my last leaving salary - but enjoying myself. It's never easy leaving but I doubt you'll regret it.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:15 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Done it a few times,

redundancy & the need to career progress

You say another 3 years of uni scares the daylights out of you ..

well your not ready to change!
Mart
Considering I flunked the last 1, not an unreasonable statement I think, and thats 3 years full time FYI.

Originally Posted by mart360
You got a bad appraisal and your feeling a bit pissed off

sorry if it seems harsh, but ive been there!!!

Mart
Didn't say it was bad, I said it was bad from my view as it basically boils down to I have no promotion route and am stuck in my current role.

Last edited by Simon C; 16 July 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

So you flunked uni the first time.

that was 5? 10? years ago..... a lot of things change,

but as i said, if you want out, you have to take what comes regardless

how old are you?

you chosen routes out are often age limited

Ambulance service is good, but not as well paid and the other services.

you need to look at your skill set, and see where they can be applied

Get talking to some good professional recruitment companys, and get on

there web sites, and look at other roles, and see where your skill set fits.

once you can see where your skill set fits, then start expanding

mart

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2010, 10:48 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yes Mart, it was 10 years ago, and I am aware things change in that time. However 3 years FT course with little to no income is a big scare.

I'm only 33 so those 2 roles are well within scope.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i'm in the same boat, the only thing thats stopping me is the drop in wages i'd have to take to start all over again
Old 16 July 2010, 11:49 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it, I took an 8k pay cut between the last one and this.
Old 17 July 2010, 12:31 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Not sure if it is a change as such, but went self employed years ago and was the best thing I ever did. Job was worked around my kids, now they are grown up, I am kicking it big style. Tired but worth it
Old 17 July 2010, 08:41 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have done it.

I went from being a highly skilled, senior engineering type bod working in London to running my own business doing something very low skilled. Well thats for the staff but you get my picture.

At times its massively frustrating, demoralising and tiring. But the rest of the time its great, I am my own boss, I have the right people around me, I get a reasonable home life now and I only have myself to blame if it goes wrong.

All in all I don’t regret changing, and I think in the long term it will work out better for me. In the short term its very hard work and almost a step "back". I am the MD of a company with 10 people, but I still mop the floor and do some of the very basic work. That I never used to do but you have to do what it takes to get the job done.

I also had to learn a whole new skill set in looking at accounts and dealing with bad customers (thats the bit I don’t like) and just keeping everyone happy in the team.

Good luck!
Old 17 July 2010, 09:05 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Some years ago I was talking to an old boy whose opinion I respected and he reckoned that many people have 3 careers in their working lives. I didn't take this on board but you would be surprised by the number that have.

Much depends on how tied you are - wife, family, elderly parents etc? If you are a free agent I would consider buggering off abroad for a while.

And do you know in your heart what you would really like to be doing? I left a long hours office job working as a facilities manager which I hated and became self-employed in a completely different field. I started out as an engineer.

If I had my time again I would be overseas in a nice climate as I hate what is going on in this county and I can't see it getting better.

So my advice would be to think hard and laterally. You have many years ahead of you - you might as well enjoy them

Good luck. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 17 July 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 17 July 2010, 09:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm in the process of preparing for the same issue.

Partially a mid-life crisis (hitting 40 in the next few years), but also a boredom factor.
My next career change will be my 3rd.
1. Record Producer
2. Lecturer & Manager
3. ??????????

Looking at IT/Network management or something else - haven't decided what.

Like most, I've got both emotional and financial commitments, so it takes a LOT of planning and setting up of fall-back plans.
Nerve-wrecking? YES!!
Will be intrigued to see if I've actually got the b@lls to go through with it

Dan
Old 17 July 2010, 09:34 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from being a Bank Manager to a Lorry driver

loved it at first as it offered lots of freedom and the money isnt bad (no where near as much as before) but it pays the bills and the stress levels are almost zero!!!

its like anything else, its just a job now.

do it.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yes after 20 or so years in the event and media business i am in the process of retraining as a swimming teacher.

Have had the fund the courses myself but in the long run i am happier and healthier for it.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You must be very lucky if you can start off in a job that you love and see no reason to change to something else. I was that lucky and have always appreciated it of course. it must be getting more difficult these days to be able to do that.

Your present situation sounds pretty frustrating Simon, I wish you luck in doing better in the future.

Les
Old 17 July 2010, 11:56 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've tried changing twice, both when made redundant and I fancied a change. Unfortunately I could find a job in the new field I'd chosen so ended up going back into the same type of job.
Last year I got made redundant, so I set up my own business (doing the same type of work). I'm earning £20k a year less but I'm happier especially as I get to see my 9 month old son whenever I want in the day.
Might change my mind next month as the wife goes back to work and son goes to nursery 4 days a week.
I still don't 'love' what I do, but I never knew what I wanted to do when I left school and 17 years later I still don't. I have many interests but none that would earn me a wage as a career.
Old 17 July 2010, 03:14 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
I'm thinking about it and looking for advice basically. Any input from people who have done it, would be much appreciated.

It been triggered by the fact I recieved my appraisal results this week, and the news couldn't have been worse as far as I'm concerned. I currently work on a techie support desk, and in last years appraisal, a new job role was discusssed. This year, the boots been put and and I've been told in no uncertain terms, that whilst I'm the best person for it, I won't get it and an application from me will not be entertained.

Recently also, well for months if I'm honest, I've increasingly felt is like same s**t, different day, and feel the role is slowly being turned into a call centre, which isn't my idea of a good job. There isn't all that room within my office for transfering depts either, so I have come to realise its time to leave for pastures new.

2 thoughts I did have, which were Police (not recruiting) or paramedic, but the thought of another 3 years at uni scares the daylights out of me.
Now is the time to start planning your exit then, if that's what you want. Easiest way to start is with the numbers. Figure out how much dosh you have/need and how far you think it will go. Plan various scenarios and some of the uncertainty vanishes. Whether that makes it all less scarey is another matter.

I think the easiest way out is to jump ship to a similar role in another company.

J.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:13 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I'm a similar age to you (32 this november) and also work in IT (network support role etc etc).

I am also getting to the point where I'm getting very fed up in my work, it's only a small company too so no chance of "going up the ladder".

Have to deal with the same sh!te most days and the same pain in the 4rse customers.

I would love to do something different, although I have been in IT since leaving school so don't know how to do anything else.

Plus, we brought our first house last year so now got a mortgage to worry about/pay for so makes things a little bit more tricky

Good luck with whatever you end up doing

Last edited by stiscooby; 18 July 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:33 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C

Do something that interests you & keep the job.

Looks to me like you have an interest in archery - turn that from a hobby into a money making exercise.

Build up the secondary income then leave.

Doing it right will make you happy first & money second
Old 19 July 2010, 01:07 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot depends on circumstances I guess and alot could come down to what you really want out of life.

Possibly the easiest option would be to jump ship into a similar role somewhere else (with greater prospects) if any jobs are going. You have the experience and it would be a new challenge to some extent. However, if you are really feeling 'same ****, different day' then maybe you need to take the leap.

For uni, can you realistically do it? I mean financially. If you can then if you really want the change, go for it. You may have failed last time (and I hate that term) but it was a fair while ago, and you need to look at why? Were you not interested in what you were doing? Were you young and more interested in having a good time? etc.

For your current place to think you are good enough for promotion (just not giving it to you) then I'd assume you are not stupid. Maybe you need to focus less on the past and more on you as a person now and where you want to go.

Sometimes taking the leap is the hardest part, it's often easier to stay put for many reasons, but it doesn't make you happier and you don't want to be another 10 years down the line thinking same ****, different day. Believe me, as I'm in the same boat and I put off because it's easier (amongst other reasons) but everyday you get more unhappy and to some extent your own self worth goes down.

If you can make a change, do it. It may be daunting, but does another x amount of years unhappy really sound better?

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 19 July 2010, 07:01 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from supermarket management to IT and to be honest for the first 9 months hated every second of it .. 9 months isn't long, but its long enough stuck in a dead end job .. luckily I progressed to another role and then another and so on .. it just takes commitment and determination but a lot of skills will move over with you .. people management, time management, social skills, really basic things that employers cant teach..
Old 19 July 2010, 09:41 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Sounds like theres a few ex-engineers here! I'm another. The moment your employer starts taking you for granted its time to start looking elsewhere. Otherwise you'll just end up feeling bitter.

It is linked to your skill set, but you'll be surprised by the number of jobs you can move sideways into without retraining. Work out what your core skills are and go from there.
Old 19 July 2010, 10:00 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Must be in the name Simon, as I had the same thoughts / feelings. I tried a different career at 30, and again at 35, but couldnt put up with the drop in ££££.

I tried importing cars, security company ( club bouncers + events ), Mccy D franchise, etc etc. But, contracting always dragged me back. :-(

Reading the stories above, about how guys have changed careers, is amazing and very positive. Most of the time the grass always looks greener on the otherside, but turns out not to be.

Also, current market / climate isnt too good, so is now the time to jump ship ??

SBK
Old 19 July 2010, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would be very careful before I did it.

Les