Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are you legally entitled to fuel costs if you use your own car for business use?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2010, 03:01 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you legally entitled to fuel costs if you use your own car for business use?

Just a quickie -

My girlf is a nursery manager and during course of her working day has to use her own car to pick a child up from a school to take back to the nursery where she works-she obviously has business class use on her car insurance, but she doesn't get paid any mileage allowance for these journey's which she says adds up to about 15 miles a week.
Is she legally entitled to a mileage allowance of her boss(the owner) to cover her fuel and wear and tear on car?
She has looked in her contract and it doesn't state its part of her job to fetch kids from school etc so in reality has been doing it from goodness of her own heart and for wanting to be a good and efficent manager.
But recently the owner is getting on her back for no reason so she is thinking why should i put myself out now for owners when they show me no gratitude for it.
Anyone know how she stands please?

Oh and anyone after a highly qualified and hard working nursery manager in staffordshire?
Old 16 July 2010, 03:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't believe so. She can, however, claim tax relief up to 40p* a mile from HMRC, so that'll reduce the cost a bit.

*may be a different rate if it's a small engined car
Old 16 July 2010, 04:00 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

There is such a thing as the Fixed Profit Car Scheme which covers this.

My employer pays me 23p per mile and the Tax Man allows a charge off up to 40p as Andy says. Therefore the Tax Man gives me 17p per mile in tax relief (not actually 17p per mile though!!).
Old 16 July 2010, 04:02 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

This may help explain things:

http://www.thetaxguide.co.uk/should-...allowance.html

Personally I wouldn't use my own car if I didn't get reimbursed.

She could say she doesn't have Business Cover insurance, so is not legally allowed to pick up the child during business hours anymore...?
Old 16 July 2010, 04:21 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Her boss does cover the extra cost on her insurance to uprate it from normal cover to business use tho.Just doesn't give her anything for wear and tear etc-will have a look on tax site and tell her when she gets home later.

Originally Posted by michaelro
This may help explain things:

http://www.thetaxguide.co.uk/should-...allowance.html

Personally I wouldn't use my own car if I didn't get reimbursed.

She could say she doesn't have Business Cover insurance, so is not legally allowed to pick up the child during business hours anymore...?
Old 16 July 2010, 06:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The employer is not obliged to cover the costs, but you can claim the tax back as if the employer had paid up to the maximum. Its hard for me to explain but you will basically get a tax rebate of x% on the amount the employer could have paid.

In addition, business mileage can be AMAZINGLY expensive on some policies I mean, its up to your gf who she insures with so that she gets the best deal, and her boss just has to lump the business cost whether he likes it or not
Old 16 July 2010, 09:38 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Very true this-thanks for reminding me.

In addition, business mileage can be AMAZINGLY expensive on some policies I mean, its up to your gf who she insures with so that she gets the best deal, and her boss just has to lump the business cost whether he likes it or not [/quote]

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2010, 02:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I would be careful with this. Using your car for business, and using it to transport passengers for reward are very different. Assuming the childs parents are paying for the child to go to nursery, then your GF is using her car to transport passengers for reward. You would need to check with the insurance company and the licencing agency. (They are called DVLNI over here, not sure about your side of the pond.... maybe VOSA?) Over here you would need a restricted PSV licence to be allowed to do this legally, and a standard business use oplicy probably doesn't cover her either. We also have a much tighter PSV MOT for the car in question, so maybe it is time she told her boss that she can't do it any longer unless they make sure it is all legal and pay for the time and effort required to maintain the car, the licence and the insurance........ or 60p a mile will do nicely