Watches - but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 01:00 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watches - but which one?

Hi

I've got a £500 vouchers for Goldsmiths and have been looking at getting another watch, but i'm unsure what to go for. I've already got a Seamaster so looking at getting something a little different.

Now, i know that Armani aren't dedicated watch makers but they have released their "ceramica" range and i do quite like the the gloss black mens watch they do (link below)

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...men%27s+watch/

My other choice is the TW Steel Black tech gents watch, (link below) but i really don't know much about TW Steel as a watch maker.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=16605

My other thought, is put some money towards it and buy a Tag Aquaracer Grande-date.

What do you lot reckon?

Cheers in advance!
Old 14 July 2010, 01:12 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

though about a raymond wiel. they do some nice watches at that price
Old 14 July 2010, 02:19 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Omega watches are nice, i have a seamaster, the battery has just ran out after 5 and a half years, build quality is spot on and they don't mark very easily.

I have the 300m chronometer.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster
Old 14 July 2010, 02:42 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
Omega watches are nice, i have a seamaster, the battery has just ran out after 5 and a half years, build quality is spot on and they don't mark very easily.

I have the 300m chronometer.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster

I already have a 300M.

I'd be annoyed if the battery ran out on my Chronometer.......they are self winders you see! :P
Old 14 July 2010, 03:23 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

What about an Aviator:
http://www.lestelondon.co.uk/aviator...ch-p-1492.html
http://www.lestelondon.co.uk/aviator...ch-p-1493.html
http://www.lestelondon.co.uk/aviator...ch-p-1494.html
I lost one

Edit: I am thinking of getting this: http://www.vostok-watches.com/start....05_6975647.php

Last edited by fpan; 14 July 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 04:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I like Oris. I have a TT3 for daily use.

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10886699.jpg

But non chrono. Clean lines, auto and light for its size.
So far in 12 months of daily use its not missed a beat and still looks brand new.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:03 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
I already have a 300M.

I'd be annoyed if the battery ran out on my Chronometer.......they are self winders you see! :P
only if your watch is mechanical or a "shaker". all the quartz watches need batteries

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2010, 06:15 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
only if your watch is mechanical or a "shaker". all the quartz watches need batteries
All Omega Seamaster 300m Chronometers do not need batteries, just the quartz ones do.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsinky

Well, unless its a Seiko kinetic/spring drive, or solar powered citizen/casio.

As for what watch, I personally think Maurice lacroix and Oris both give good value for money (although from looking at Goldsmith's website, it seems they only stock the higher priced models).

Certain brands just seem to have very over inflated prices; proven when I've seen the same watches on ebay going for seveal hundred quid less (That Raymond Weil "thing" I had was £1650 retail - can get them new on ebay for £995, and some second hand ones less than 3yrs old have gone for under £500 ). One thing I would hate is to fork out on a pricey watch to find that should I need the money or want to swap/trade it, its worth nothing, especially when some mechanical watches need £100+ spent every few years to service them.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 July 2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: clicked reply too soon
Old 14 July 2010, 06:26 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The Oris and Raymond Weil watches are nice. Dont know much about Aviator. I had an Armani watch, was ok for the price but have a Tissot for similar money now and the Tissot is so much better, time keeping, build and durability. The Armani had to be retired 3 years in to its life.

Whats the time keeping like on the Omegas for those who have one, as Ive heard they're not amazingly accurate (which is really the main point of having a watch).

Last edited by SRSport; 14 July 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

My Seamaster is a quartz, so its spot on all the time. Can't say about the mechanical versions though, depends if you are bothered with 3-6 seconds gain/loss a day, which is what I'd consider acceptable.
Old 14 July 2010, 07:19 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Its difficult that one. I really like the mechanics and the movement of an auto but much prefer to have an accurate watch. 50/50 so with quartz being cheaper that one wins for me...I think.
Old 14 July 2010, 07:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I couldn't pay more than £80-100 for any quartz watch, I just can't appreciate the engineering in them. The majority are Timex movements anyway, which they buy in for about 50p each. Sure, the case and bracelet might be quality, but I can't get over the fact that there's nothing inside any better than an average Sekonda. I use a £22 Sekonda for daily duties.

I also have an Oris, and a Maurice Lacroix, both automatics. I've had them quite a few years and have noticed that all auto's seem to have jumped in price recently. If I were looking now I'd consider a Ball, but you'll need to add a few quid.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:02 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean but it does all come down to the knowing bit, you dont get to see the movement when its worn and knowing that it isnt as accurate. My Father in law has a Tissot like mine, his is auto mine quartz, his was £100 more yet he's the one asking me for the exact time

I so very nearly bought an Omega 2 years ago, beautiful to look at, auto movement but knowing it was £1500 and not as accurate as the Tissot for £170 made my head rule my heart.

...to be honest I still dont know whether I made the right choice though.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I agree with about the prices of mid range watches thes days have gone mental. Seems that having a Swiss barnd is a means to pile a levy on the retail price. Companies like Raymond Weil which I knew used to do watches around the £300-500 mark are now dishing them out for upwards of £1.5-£2K or more if it has diamonds!

Is it worth it? In my eyes no; Most movements are sourced via ETA, and tweeked with like the rest of them so its not anythig special inside, so what you are buying is what you see; some polished metal. And if its not a precious metal like gold, then its just polished plated steel. Is polished steel worth a high price tag?

One watch that takes my fancy is a Jorg Gray 6500. Nice watch, nice price (£300), its far far cheaper than any Swiss mechanical watch. However, it has one flaw...its the same watch endorsed by that inept president Obama, as such its plastered with his name, you can get one without his name on it, but its bit, well tainted. Shame.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:30 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
I already have a 300M.

Seamaster profesional is what i have.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:46 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Is it worth it? In my eyes no; Most movements are sourced via ETA, and tweeked with like the rest of them so its not anythig special inside, so what you are buying is what you see; some polished metal. And if its not a precious metal like gold, then its just polished plated steel. Is polished steel worth a high price tag?
Is that true? I didnt know that. Makes me very pleased that I didnt go for the Omega then, and a bit cross actually that they charge so much.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Longines Hydroconquest automatic. At 'about' £500 (youll have to put a bit to); nothing else comes close. Raymond Weil ffs?

I like Oris too, and I have a few old ones, but at that price youre looking at an awful Pointer, and a similar divers watch is closer to £1,000.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:01 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Why "Raymond Weils ffs"? Why does nothing come close to Longines Hydroconquest? and what's bad about the Pointer? Im genuinely interested as Id like to justify to myself buying a nice watch sometime.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im dismissing RW. For about £500 the Longines is an absolute bargain. £500 is more of an offer price than a current retail price, although £580 is easily achievable - look at the watch and youll see what Im talking about.

I like Oris, as Ive already said, and I have two or three vintages pieces, but the current Pointer doesnt appeal to me in any way. If it tickles your fancy then go ahead: Oris watches are excellent too. To get a divers watch from Oris youre looking at far more money though.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Old 14 July 2010, 09:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

For £500 thats alright. This is more my personal style, albeit around £750 from Goldsmiths (£60 more for the metal strap). Id be happy to put £250 in with the voucher to get these.

Old 14 July 2010, 10:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by SRSport
Is that true? I didnt know that. Makes me very pleased that I didnt go for the Omega then, and a bit cross actually that they charge so much.
Well Omega are part of the swatch group (http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands_and_companies) which owns ETA the movement manufacturer, so yes alot of their watches use ETA movements, just like Oris or Longines do, but tend to use the better ones and certify them. Its not a bad thing, as they are all pretty good movements, but of course its something you should be aware when picking between brands.

I know my Seamaster uses the same movement as a Bell & Ross vintage function amongst others. It doesn't bother me, as I like the watch, I just know its internals are shared with other brands, some cheaper, some more expensive.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 July 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I had presumed that Omega for example would have a different better movement than say Tissot and Calvin Klein, is that not the case?

Last edited by SRSport; 14 July 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Technically yes, some movements are graded and some are modified and detailed by the watch manufacturer (which is why open backs are popular - to show off any mods and fine polishing). Most of it is looks, as far as accuracy is concerned, as long as its a certified chronometer you can't get any better, unless the manufacturer takes extra time checking and perfecting any adjustment and regulation before selling each watch. The latter we simply will never know for sure.

By the way, I'm not a watch expert by any means, I'm just repeating what I've picked up over the years.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Get a catalogue. Difficult for Longines and far from easy for Oris, but worth it. Any authorised reseller can supply any catalogue model; and the range is far, far larger than any shop display would have you believe.

Simon