Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why doesn't Google advertise on Homepage?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2010, 11:11 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't Google advertise on Homepage?

There must be millions or even billions of computers that show that page to potential customers dozens of times every day. I find it quite impressive that it remains "clean".
Old 06 July 2010, 11:17 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It is the search results that are fully sponsored and earn them billions. No need for spam on the front page.
Old 06 July 2010, 11:22 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Good question, another one is when logging in to gmail/googlemail WHY do you have to put the @gmail.com bit in!?! surely it's ALWAYS going to be gmail.com?! (or googlemail.com, both work).
Old 06 July 2010, 11:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't put the @ bit in and it works great.
Old 06 July 2010, 11:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo2
There must be millions or even billions of computers that show that page to potential customers dozens of times every day. I find it quite impressive that it remains "clean".
If google did that; it would have fallen and died like many other search engines did ten plus years ago.

The key to google's sucess was it kept its home page clean and free of bandwidth hogging clutter (although its quickly losing this with fading menus, igoogle and background pictures etc ).

This all happened when Yahoo, MSN, Lycos, Altavista etc all started cluttering their pages and results up with junk (adverts, pics, and other crap you don't really need), making page load times very slow, where google took the decsision to keep it clean and minimalised with a plain search box and key menu links keeping their page load time very snappy. For people on dial-up or with a slow computer, google became the most popular search because it was fast to load as it didn't hog bandwidth or system resources. People were further deterred from other search engines as alot of their result given were pepperpotted with irrelevant adverts littered all over the page.

Which reminds me, bring back my google.com search, I don't want google.co.uk ( )

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 July 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06 July 2010, 12:12 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
+1
Old 06 July 2010, 12:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If google did that; it would have fallen and died like many other search engines did ten plus years ago.

The key to google's sucess was it kept its home page clean and free of bandwidth hogging clutter (although its quickly losing this with fading menus, igoogle and background pictures etc ).

This all happened when Yahoo, MSN, Lycos, Altavista etc all started cluttering their pages and results up with junk (adverts, pics, and other crap you don't really need), making page load times very slow, where google took the decsision to keep it clean and minimalised with a plain search box and key menu links keeping their page load time very snappy. For people on dial-up or with a slow computer, google became the most popular search because it was fast to load as it didn't hog bandwidth or system resources. People were further deterred from other search engines as alot of their result given were pepperpotted with irrelevant adverts littered all over the page.

Which reminds me, bring back my google.com search, I don't want google.co.uk ( )
likewise ,
Old 06 July 2010, 12:56 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Pfffft if I don't it says 'email address not valid' !?!

You've got me doubting myself now, will try it again!

edit: well f'me! it does work! I'm sure it never used to!

Last edited by Neanderthal; 06 July 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: DOH!!!
Old 06 July 2010, 02:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

amazing all the other competitors have not grasped this yet
Old 06 July 2010, 03:12 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthal

Old 06 July 2010, 03:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Besides keeping it clean..... Can you imagine for one second how much said advert would cost lol. Sponsored search results cost enough.
Old 06 July 2010, 05:56 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sea...LIfw0wS0s5GLAw

just googled search engine and google doesn't even come top
Old 06 July 2010, 10:22 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Gotta disagree on AltaVista though - i have been using it for fifteen years (as i used to work for Digital) and it has always been fairly "clean". I used the "text only" interface several years ago when on dial-up, but for ages it has been a very efficient page (with or without NoScript under Firefox).

Also, less chance of Google Analytics tracing your movements

mb
Old 07 July 2010, 12:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I might be wrong on this due to my faded memory, but I used to use Alta Vista alot whilst I was at Uni (10 years ago now ).

It was around this period when all the established search engines with a a good foothold started pushing big time on the advertising, be it on the homepage or the search results. Put it this way, I can't remember what happened but something changed with what Alta Vista did with their page or search results which resulted in me using another search engine (google as it happens). I think it may have been the results went awry with too much priority on advertised listings that had zero relevence and from companies trying to sell stuff. Where at the time I was using the net for information research, not buying stuff.

As for movement tracking, that reminds me I need to kill off what remains of any facebook cookies I have; too many sites now have facebook plug-ins so facebook knows where I've been
Old 07 July 2010, 04:32 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal

Ey up Matt! Seems nowt changes .............