Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Now School Buildings Suffer

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2010, 11:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Now School Buildings Suffer

under the Toffie Nosed Tories who's children all go to Private Schools ....... the State Schools have to suffer crumbling buildings!

Labours plans to re-build the Education Establishments have been shelved ..... shocking.

I hope you are enjoying the beginning of the end, courtesy of the Tories!?
Old 05 July 2010, 11:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Don't see the problem when we already have lots of new schools that will be paid for through PFI for decades, in the late 70s to early 90s my primary school was an old Victorian building that was cold and had outside toilets, and my secondary school had a huge number of crumbling temporary buildings. The teachers and not being in a classroom full of disruptive idiots matters far more.
Old 05 July 2010, 11:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good grief Pete, you really do dislike the Tories The UK is almost bankrupt, we need to take some drastic measures

TX.
Old 05 July 2010, 11:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The problem is the money used to rebuild existing schools was pissed away anyway; If its not being spent properly, then it is wise to cut it.

Round by me we have had perfectly good schools flattened, then rebuilt; partly funded by the private sector under a lease-back plan (at further increased long-term expense to the tax payer ). Yet schools made out of portcabins have been ignored and left to fester and rot with minimal funding for proper maintenance.

For a decade this has happened, and ten years later we STILL have the same schools that comprise mostly of portacabins! WHY didn't LABOUR prioritise the rebuilding of schools builts using prefabs and temporary buildings FIRST?? Instead preferring to knock down servicable permanent buildings, selling the land and then **** away the budget on some wild OTT building design that serves more for asthetics than purpose, with questionable long term durability maintenance issues (exposed exterior steelwork, excessive amounts of sealed glass units, wooden facias etc.) which then runs over budget, and massively behind schedule!?

Good job the Libs/Tories cut it now before even more is wasted. Maybe now they can put a review so that spending goes where it is needed. Such as those schools made out of portacabins that Labour have IGNORED for their entire duration of power.

< /Jeff >

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 July 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06 July 2010, 12:05 AM
Will
BANNED

You forgot to edit the first of the double posts Jeff
Old 06 July 2010, 07:55 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

The problem isn't the cuts, the problem is that Pete is a bit of an **** that can't see the wood for the trees
Old 06 July 2010, 08:03 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
under the Toffie Nosed Tories who's children all go to Private Schools ....... the State Schools have to suffer crumbling buildings!

Labours plans to re-build the Education Establishments have been shelved ..... shocking.

Your Lying nulabia spent all there was and then some on the health service , illegal wars and tiers of middle management tossers like they always do...

of course theres not a singly one of these marvellous socialites that ever sent their kiddies to private skool

Get real ! :
Old 06 July 2010, 08:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Don't see the problem when we already have lots of new schools that will be paid for through PFI for decades, in the late 70s to early 90s my primary school was an old Victorian building that was cold and had outside toilets, and my secondary school had a huge number of crumbling temporary buildings. The teachers and not being in a classroom full of disruptive idiots matters far more.
+1

Pete, you are trolling
Old 06 July 2010, 08:28 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

We are the ones who are REALLY suffering Pete, give it a rest. They should tax your internet use, that would bring the readies in, or a smog tax for your Civic.
Old 06 July 2010, 08:54 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
+1

Pete, you are trolling
Pete trolling ....never
Old 06 July 2010, 09:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Isn't it amazing that NL let the buildings deteriorate so much over the 13 years they were in power Pete.

Makes it so difficult now since they left the country virtually bankrupt!

As matter of interest, what would you do in this parlous situation?

Les
Old 06 July 2010, 09:03 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Your Lying nulabia spent all there was and then some on the health service

Get real ! :
I cannot see why spending lots of money on Health was a bad thing in all honesty?
Old 06 July 2010, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Lots of nice new classrooms for kids to wreck....

Teach 'em outside - toughen them up

PS. Great Panorama prog' last night on lousy teachers - anyone see this?

dl
Old 06 July 2010, 11:34 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with Portakabins, we spent many a happy lesson in them, I dont know why schools now have to look like upmarket office parks, all the focus is on providing for kids, perhaps the percentage that disrupt, destory or say everything is boring should be excluded, the ones who want to learn will do better, look at schools in Africa, the kids that are there want to be there, want to learn and dont worry that the building is not the best.

The thing is, this country, no public service is seen as a privlege, its seen as a chore or something to milk mercilessly amd scum breeds more scum with the same mentality, sort of learned apathetic grasping with no pleasure taken from anything other than the instant gratification of booze, ****, sex and crap food, we all enjoy these kind of pleasures but there others, knowledge is power (to quote Reg Holdsworth) but they dont see it, they like being dumb and try to drag others down.

Decent kids will do allright anywhere.

Someone will ineviatably mention that mine do go private, but that wasnt really my decision and think they would have been fine at the state school, a lot of education is about the home, the family and experiences that spur on further interest, not just turning up at school.
Old 06 July 2010, 11:38 AM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

I work in a school which was going to be in the “BSF” scheme. We have just found that this is not going ahead.
From what we have heard, in a way this is good because the new schools they have built/are building have been built by idiots. One school that we heard of that underwent this “upgrade” someone thought it would be a good idea to create an open plan sports hall. None of the planners/architects whatever realized that the first high ball will go direct into the adjoining computer suite. Another school not too far from our own has numerous pictures on the walls in strange locations. Is this for décor – not really - It’s to cover up the gaping holes the kids have left as the corridor walls are only thin plaster. This info comes purely from word of mouth so may not be as poor as it seems but from what I can gather there are some pretty disappointed, lesd capable establishments out there.

At the moment we are quite advanced in terms of IT and have commendations to back this up. If the BSF was to go ahead all of our current systems would be scrapped (nothing was going to be transferred) we would be given a system that an IT consultant/team of consultants (I don’t know which) would be paid £800000 for designing that probably wouldn’t have been as advanced as we are now because whatever company put in the lowest bid got the contract.

On the downside we are currently in a building that was never designed to cope with as many pupils as we have now never mind the new technologies some staff wish to implement. Classrooms are limited and cramped. Temperatures regularly exceed 30 Degrees. We could expand the computer network much more if we only had space to do so. Our office is 5m x 3m, there are 2 of us in it with 7 computers and 4 monitors. We are supposed to maintain 600 computers from this room.

At least i still have a semi-secure job, for that i am greatfull.

Hey Ho

Last edited by Chris 'n' Jen; 06 July 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06 July 2010, 11:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I cannot see why spending lots of money on Health was a bad thing in all honesty?
It was not the amounts so much as the 'headless chicken' approach to spending the money, which, wasted money and did not improve things anywhere near as much as it should have done.
Old 06 July 2010, 11:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Whats wrong with Portakabins, we spent many a happy lesson in them, I dont know why schools now have to look like upmarket office parks,
Because they are shyte? Well, its a temporary building, made of plywood, plasterboard and render. They rot (One kid fell through the floor in our school, after we found that the whole struture moved if a group of kids all jumped up and down at the same time ). A chairleg through the wall would be a common sight, or the holes from previous chair+wall sticking episodes would remain. If it rained the felt roof leaked and at assembly time or between lesson, anyone in a portkabin would get soaked going to the assembly hall or going between seperate blocks. Poor insulation and heating via electric convector heaters, windows were single glazed that didn't even fiit in the frames and didn't open/shut poperly, so cold in the winter, sauna in the summer.

What is wrong with replacing these buildings with a good brick/block built unit, with a proper sloped tile roof and interlinking corridors? To me that would make sense, but what we got instead is as you said; some fancy office park that does the job no better than a more basic functionally styled building, and yet the rotting porta-cabins (no K - as they often aren't made by Portakabin ) still remain in wide use.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 July 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06 July 2010, 12:02 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Spent wisely then yes but unfortunately it's all just been pissed away on some half arsed schemes.

My wife still has to hand write patient notes, keeps a paper appointment diary, and four of them share one PC. If they could only understand how inefficient this is, for the sake of a few hundred £ on PCs, and the technology to ensure patient confidentiality.

It's a joke and for someone who works in the private sector in a high tech industry I just find it all ludicrous.
Old 06 July 2010, 01:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

under the Toffie Nosed Tories who's children all go to Private Schools .......

Pretty good..........now wasn't it Labour who had ministers whose children ALL went private? Who had mostly gone private themselves?

And didn't they instal a minister of EDUCATION who had never even set foot in a state school UNTIL she became minister?

Pot, kettle and black, Pete.
Old 06 July 2010, 01:53 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

under the Toffie Nosed Tories who's children all go to Private Schools ...
Hang on a minute here Pete surely even you can work out those that choose to send their kids to private school are effectively paying twice for schooling - (no tax rebates if send children to private school) and more money into the economy,
This means more money can be used to maintain state schools & to alleviate numbers of children per class, so should you not be encouraging more people to send children to private schools ?

Richard
Old 06 July 2010, 02:09 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Hang on a minute here Pete surely even you can work out those that choose to send their kids to private school are effectively paying twice for schooling - (no tax rebates if send children to private school) and more money into the economy,
This means more money can be used to maintain state schools & to alleviate numbers of children per class, so should you not be encouraging more people to send children to private schools ?

Richard
Indeed, well said.
Old 06 July 2010, 02:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Richard
If you ask a question like that he goes all shy. Can't cope with the common sense replies. In the same way as his heroes.

Les
Old 06 July 2010, 02:51 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No pslewis Tory thread is complete without this accompaniment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQ6eHeBrhM

Just imagine his plight: his party smashed at the election, their demoralised leader slumps off, never to be seen again, except when he jumps off that bridge (hopefully chained to some concrete).

I'll be setting a charity up soon to care for pslewis in these hard times. He'll need a wheelchair, supplies of slippers, copies of the Mirror... and countless consumer goods. Normally in this situation a Labour voter and working class hero such as himself would usually just take out extensive credit to pay for these things, but sadly this is not possible in the era of austerity brought about by those Eton scumbags.

All donations gratefully recieved, even as little as 1 or 2p (infact such a small amount is actually recommended).

p.s. damn those pesky bankers!!

p.p.s And Maggie Thatcher too!!

p.p.p.s Bring back the mines

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 July 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06 July 2010, 05:19 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I must say this has got to be one of Pete's worst trolling attempts. It's going down in flames at the moment as far as I read it.
Old 06 July 2010, 09:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Richard
I truly believe that you believe what you have just written ... and why SN will never see the real world and the real world truths.

Why should those who 'have' be able to give their offspring an edge?

Every child should have an equal chance, I would ban all private education and put the money they take from the state (yes, they do!) into all schools to make them all good/excellent.

I would sack failing Teachers - Panarama showed that it's impossible to sack a Teacher (I know!) .... the HeadTeachers and Senior Staff at Schools are terrified of the NUT .... that's another thing, ban the NUT!
Old 06 July 2010, 09:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

ban the NUT!
Banning Unions!?! Thats a Thatcherism! Who is this and what have you done with Pete?
Old 06 July 2010, 09:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bloody marxist , we all should have know from the start really
Old 06 July 2010, 10:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The NUT are living in the past, they are militant for no reason ..... quite different from those Unions who fight for pay and conditions which are being eroded.
Old 06 July 2010, 10:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chris 'n' Jen
I work in a school...

*** SNIP ***

...Hey Ho
Hopefully you also visit edugeek!

mb

Quick Reply: Now School Buildings Suffer