Wife swap USA - Christian Fundamentalists

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2010, 09:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife swap USA - Christian Fundamentalists

On Now - E4+1 09.40
Flicking during Scrapheap adverts and this programme was on, not a programme i would usually pause to watch but it was the family intro and biog and what an eye opener, for those who knock Muslim extremism or indeed and religion and its fanatics this lot are barking.

They lived by the bible quite literally, their kids where home schooled and brainwashed into the fundamentalist lifestyle and way of thinking, no chance to see or ecperience how others live. uintollerant of anything other than themselves or others with the same beliefs, have a familiar ring to it???

Religious nutters are religious nutters, no matter what faith or beliefs

Well worth watching that first ten mins if it is repeated later or on catch-up.

Last edited by The Zohan; 04 July 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04 July 2010, 10:04 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Might have a gander if it's on 4od

I agree though - have you seen the Phelps family in action? Religious madness is religious madness, regardless of which team you're on.
Old 04 July 2010, 10:50 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh I agree entirely; Christian extremists are a right bunch of nutters that the world would be better off without.

Two important things though; They don't blow themselves up in acts of martyrdom. And more mentally balanced practicing Christians widely and openly condemn extreme Christian's viewpoints with little comeback (apart from you'll burn in hell, etc).
Old 04 July 2010, 11:39 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

To be fair, people can beleive whatever they beleive.
As long as they don't bother me with it, I am not bothered.

I can tolerate other religions and beleifs, and I respect theirs, as I would like mine to be respected.

Some people do get their panties in a twist over this sort of thing.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:55 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trouble is, most monotheistic religions have an injunction to proselytise along with an exclusivity claim. The combination is more than a little obnoxious if taken seriously, and does not promote tolerance or respect.

What is frightening as was the case in this programme is that various Christian and Muslim sects spend at least as much time fighting between themselves because they can't even tolerate relatively minor differences in doctrine/dogma. It is like falling out over what colour of eyes the fairies at the bottom of your garden have.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:56 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
To be fair, people can beleive whatever they beleive.
As long as they don't bother me with it, I am not bothered.

I can tolerate other religions and beleifs, and I respect theirs, as I would like mine to be respected.

Some people do get their panties in a twist over this sort of thing.
That's because they don't like being blown up or having those ****s picketing at your dead son's funeral.
Old 04 July 2010, 12:25 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tathan
That's because they don't like being blown up or having those ****s picketing at your dead son's funeral.
Don't ever speak of my children like that. Or anyones.
Old 04 July 2010, 12:28 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

So you can't tolerate that then? I'm confused, you said you could.
Old 04 July 2010, 12:38 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

So you can't tolerate that then? I'm confused, you said you could.
No I can't tolerate someone who places me at my dead sons funeral.
He is 4, not something I should have to think about to be honest mate.
It's one thing that I am respectful if religious beleifs and practices, but another when someone starts talking about peoples children.
Old 04 July 2010, 12:43 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Well this is what Christian extremists do:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/06/bts...rera.funerals/

Still think you can stomach "other religions and beliefs"?
Old 04 July 2010, 12:56 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Well this is what (SOME) Christian **extremists** do:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/06/bts...rera.funerals/

Still think you can stomach "other religions and beliefs"?
There is more to life than hating other peoples extreme behaviour.

Also there is a VERY big difference between saying/doing something because you beleive in it, than saying/doing it to get a rise or a reaction, and for no other reason than to torment.
Old 04 July 2010, 01:06 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

I don't really follow you tbh. It's very Christian of you to condone revolting behaviour in others if that's what you're doing. Only in religion is equal respect given to all viewpoints which (IMO) is crazy.

If I stood here and said "You've got brown skin so you're stupid and smell" or "if I drink paint it will enable me to fly" then anyone with any sense could see that I was full of **** and would tell me so. Religion however seems to merit some special protection from saying hateful or ignorant things, which I don't like.

For you to say "well I don't hate their behaviour" suggests to me that you either don't really understand what they're about, or society has convinced you that no matter what people do under the banner of religion you won't judge. Don't take offence mate, I'm just pointing out how your comments have come across.
Old 04 July 2010, 01:55 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I'm not religious at all mate, I don't beleive in anything that's only function was once to control the masses.
But I respect the fact that some people CHOOSE to follow it. It's no skin off my nose, and I care not for the colour of anyones skin.

On a side note, I don't get easily offended on here, or anywhere. But if you mention the words "funeral" and "your son" it's going to get any mother a bit wound up.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 04 July 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04 July 2010, 02:00 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I don't really follow you tbh. It's very Christian of you to condone revolting behaviour in others if that's what you're doing. Only in religion is equal respect given to all viewpoints which (IMO) is crazy.

If I stood here and said "You've got brown skin so you're stupid and smell" or "if I drink paint it will enable me to fly" then anyone with any sense could see that I was full of **** and would tell me so. Religion however seems to merit some special protection from saying hateful or ignorant things, which I don't like.

For you to say "well I don't hate their behaviour" suggests to me that you either don't really understand what they're about, or society has convinced you that no matter what people do under the banner of religion you won't judge. Don't take offence mate, I'm just pointing out how your comments have come across.
Tolerance is the difference as well as the specific act or behaviour you are discussing. Tramps bother me at train stations, Jehovahs or the local church lot occassionally bother me at home. As long as they don't try to stuff their views down my throat persistently, I can be pleasant. I have more issues with people trying to get me to switch telephone contracts or energy suppliers TBH.

J.
Old 04 July 2010, 02:10 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Tolerance is the difference as well as the specific act or behaviour you are discussing. Tramps bother me at train stations, Jehovahs or the local church lot occassionally bother me at home. As long as they don't try to stuff their views down my throat persistently, I can be pleasant. I have more issues with people trying to get me to switch telephone contracts or energy suppliers TBH.

J.
Exactly!

I do my thing, and others do theirs. If nobody is hurting anyone, or being disrespectful I am happy.
Old 04 July 2010, 02:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
It is like falling out over what colour of eyes the fairies at the bottom of your garden have.
spot on!!
Old 04 July 2010, 02:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
spot on!!
they are pink, PINK i say and i will kill anyone who says different!
Old 04 July 2010, 03:28 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo

J.
Same hear, I can appreciate peoples motives for trying to share their religious beliefs, even if I think they may be miss guided, as they believe they are doing it for my benefit (selfless reasons). Phone companies, energy suppliers etc are doing it to take my money (selfish reasons), so I really have no time for them.
Old 04 July 2010, 04:49 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

So bigotry and intolerance is fine as long as it's justified by them "really believing in it". I'm sure the BNP "really believe" that non-whites are subhuman...

Religious bigotry, intolerance and stupidity is the greatest destructive force on this planet. When we all no longer need fairy tales to get to sleep at night the world will be a better place.
Old 04 July 2010, 04:52 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

The bnp can beleive what the fudge they want to beleive, you need to wind your beck in before you get in over your head.
Old 04 July 2010, 04:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

When we all no longer need fairy tales to get to sleep at night the world will be a better place.
I'm not sure how that applies here...?

It's usually children who like fairytales, but I don't think they NEED them to sleep, it's just something parents do.
Old 04 July 2010, 05:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys really aren't getting the point Tathan is making. Carry on though, it's hilarious

Hysteria, not offended by stuff on here, oh please!

Effing brilliant
Old 04 July 2010, 05:51 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I do get his point. Maybe I'm having a bad day?!

Come on then Torque.... Spill what you think offends me?
Old 04 July 2010, 06:19 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I agree with Torquemada! If there's a wrong end of the stick to be got, Hysteria has first dibs.
Old 04 July 2010, 06:22 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I do get his point. Maybe I'm having a bad day?!

Come on then Torque.... Spill what you think offends me?
Can't be arsed mate, that entails sifting through loads threads etc. whereas I'm instead having a beer and sifting through web pages just won't do.

Even I take offense to some of the stuff said on here but it doesn't really bother me in the scale of things. Of course you'd be offended by things that have been said, whether or not it really bothers you is an entirely different point.

I'm with you on the bad day thing though, been listening to my b@stid noisey neighbours all day (initially started at 8 when they start smashing their flat up, by the sounds of it, before going to church to be good old hypocrutical Christians)
Old 04 July 2010, 06:36 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
You guys really aren't getting the point Tathan is making. Carry on though, it's hilarious

Hysteria, not offended by stuff on here, oh please!

Effing brilliant
I'm glad someone's getting it at least, I was beginning to think I was speaking Welsh.

Hysteria, you obviously couldn't be arsed to read the link I posted, otherwise you'd stop bleating about your son's funeral. Unless your 4yo is in the US Marines that is.
Old 04 July 2010, 06:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Can't be arsed mate, that entails sifting through loads threads etc. whereas I'm instead having a beer and sifting through web pages just won't do.

Even I take offense to some of the stuff said on here but it doesn't really bother me in the scale of things. Of course you'd be offended by things that have been said, whether or not it really bothers you is an entirely different point.

I'm with you on the bad day thing though, been listening to my b@stid noisey neighbours all day (initially started at 8 when they start smashing their flat up, by the sounds of it, before going to church to be good old hypocrutical Christians)
Like you say, we all get offended from time to time. That's human nature.

I'm pretty open on here though, or so I thought?!
Considering some of the crap that that I see some if the blokes on here write. Lol
Old 05 July 2010, 02:32 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

So bigotry and intolerance is fine as long as it's justified by them "really believing in it". I'm sure the BNP "really believe" that non-whites are subhuman...

Religious bigotry, intolerance and stupidity is the greatest destructive force on this planet. When we all no longer need fairy tales to get to sleep at night the world will be a better place.
But it won't! There will always be people out to carve their niche, gather followers, a clique or their gang at the expense of others. In our country, I think it's called politics. In South America, it's usually the revolution or the Junta. Two common emotions related to all this are anger and fear. Tell people what they fear is evil and that it can't be tolerated?! If it's Jews, Muslims, Infidels or WMDs!

J.
Old 05 July 2010, 02:55 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. I kinda agree. There will always be an element that will rise to the top through playing on people's fears and prejudices. But religion is just one more thing they can use.

Like why the fanatics decided to crash some planes into some buildings? Because they don't like our pasty white skin and xboxes? It's because of their anger at the Western (Christian) support for a horrible little (Jewish) warmongering state that was plonked in the middle east and continues to veto and ignore UN resolutions. The neocon christians firmly believe that the Jews will be reunited with Christians for the rapture come judgement day. At a very simplistic level, religion is just as important as oil here for the Americans, and a thousand times more important for the bearded ones. This isn't a new thing either, it goes back a long long time, the Romans had Christian pogroms until they became Christian. Religion is just another excuse for one set of people to have a go at another. Getting rid of it won't stop the hatred, but it'll take away one of the reasons.

Last edited by tathan; 05 July 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05 July 2010, 07:48 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. I kinda agree. There will always be an element that will rise to the top through playing on people's fears and prejudices. But religion is just one more thing they can use.

Like why the fanatics decided to crash some planes into some buildings? Because they don't like our pasty white skin and xboxes? It's because of their anger at the Western (Christian) support for a horrible little (Jewish) warmongering state that was plonked in the middle east and continues to veto and ignore UN resolutions. The neocon christians firmly believe that the Jews will be reunited with Christians for the rapture come judgement day. At a very simplistic level, religion is just as important as oil here for the Americans, and a thousand times more important for the bearded ones. This isn't a new thing either, it goes back a long long time, the Romans had Christian pogroms until they became Christian. Religion is just another excuse for one set of people to have a go at another. Getting rid of it won't stop the hatred, but it'll take away one of the reasons.

Someone was up late......

Quick Reply: Wife swap USA - Christian Fundamentalists