Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding .. No One Thinks Big Of You..

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2010, 01:45 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding .. No One Thinks Big Of You..

old but a good reminder..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ckfo_fSsU
Old 03 July 2010, 01:49 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

give it a rest
Old 03 July 2010, 09:07 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thanks eggy, a useful reminder - everyone should head across to

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/repeal...-speed-cameras

Speed cameras were vaguely ok when only allowed at genuine long term accident black spots (though really a cop out as often it's the road design that's at fault) but now they're everywhere. I'd rather see the police focused on catching criminals or those speeding near schools etc, than camping out on motorways etc.

Old 03 July 2010, 10:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It does nothing but good to get a reminder about the death and injury which can result from the selfish action of driving dangerously fast on our overcrowded roads.

The term "speed does not kill" is quite ridiculous since it reduces safety margins and also means that an accident when it happens will be worse the faster you are going.

Exceeding speed limits by large amounts is indefensible and against that you have to place the thought of those who could be mangled for life or killed by your actions.

Les
Old 03 July 2010, 11:17 AM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Funny Video, reminds me of the Fork lift truck videos used for training(made in Germany IIRC)

No one things big of you.
Old 03 July 2010, 02:41 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

A very touching video, I imagine most people only realise what damage speeding can do when it is too late.
Old 03 July 2010, 02:55 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

That has just made me WANT to go quicker on my motor bike thanks
Old 03 July 2010, 05:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie
That has just made me WANT to go quicker on my motor bike thanks

Why, you want your own spot in the next video ?

I think its fair enough to see stuff like this posted on here, would rather have a reminder via a video than live it for real.
Old 03 July 2010, 06:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

eggy, I think you will probably get a bit of stick for this one, Personally I think its important, but for reasons best known to them a lot of people on here are pro speeding, of course speeding on public roads will be cool by them until its one of their loved ones decorating someones bonnet.

good video.
Old 03 July 2010, 06:19 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Why, you want your own spot in the next video ?

I think its fair enough to see stuff like this posted on here, would rather have a reminder via a video than live it for real.
What spot ? I have never came of my motorbike
Old 03 July 2010, 06:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Jamie...you nutter, touch wood or something..... If fate is a member on here (and I think he is) then you have just tempted him!!!!
Old 03 July 2010, 06:42 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

The cause of EVERY one of those accidents was a combination of inapproprite speed, distraction and recklessness, not just by the driver.

inappropriate speed can kill when combined with recklessness and lack of attention.

driving past a school at hometime at 30 is not speeding but is reckless, driving past the same school in the early hours at 20 is absurd.

So there's too much of a genarilisation here, 'speeding on public roads' does not kill people, exceeding the 70 limit set by the government in the 70's does not kill people, if it did, then why drive at 70 if 60 is safer, or if 50 is even safer, 40 is safer still, drive at 30 and if someone runs across the motorway, they probably would survive, lets not chance it though, 20mph and they almost will definately survive, **** it, lets walk, no-one would die at all then.................thats speeding sorted, lets move on to knives, as we all know knives kill people.
Old 03 July 2010, 07:02 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

gallois

what I was in the middle of writing but yo put it better.
Old 03 July 2010, 07:50 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
................thats speeding sorted, lets move on to knives, as we all know knives kill people.
Hit the nail on the head buddy, Give a normal person a knife and he will use it to cut up food
Give a normal person a car and he will obey the rules of the road.

give an idiot a knife and he will stab someone
Give an idiot a car................................
Old 03 July 2010, 08:20 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Inexperience, inattention, inability and inconsiderate behaviour are in my view the prime causes of all RTCs. Speed just ramps up the severity of the outcome.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:26 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

So if we can all work it out why cant the government? It really annoys me how they use speed as an excuse to set up cash generating cameras and irritate the hell out of everyone.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gallois
The cause of EVERY one of those accidents was a combination of inapproprite speed, distraction and recklessness, not just by the driver.

inappropriate speed can kill when combined with recklessness and lack of attention.

driving past a school at hometime at 30 is not speeding but is reckless, driving past the same school in the early hours at 20 is absurd.

So there's too much of a genarilisation here, 'speeding on public roads' does not kill people, exceeding the 70 limit set by the government in the 70's does not kill people, if it did, then why drive at 70 if 60 is safer, or if 50 is even safer, 40 is safer still, drive at 30 and if someone runs across the motorway, they probably would survive, lets not chance it though, 20mph and they almost will definately survive, **** it, lets walk, no-one would die at all then.................thats speeding sorted, lets move on to knives, as we all know knives kill people.
+1

From the rather tacky video...

Incident 1 - Male driver distracted by female pedestrian. Primary causation "distraction" - not speeding!

Incident 2 - Driver not looking and missing an entire junction never mind a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road. Primary causation "inattention" - not speeding!

Incident 3 - Driving too fast for the conditions (not sure whether 120kph is over the limit in Australia) whilst negotiating a blind left-hand bend. Primary causation "excessive speed" - not simply speeding!

Incident 4 - Pedestrian walking into path of vehicle. Primary causation "pedestrian walked into road without looking" - not speeding!

Incident 5 - Dog ran into road when car was doing 6000rpm (so no necessarily breaking the speed limit). Primary causation "dangerous overtaking" - not speeding!

Incident 6 - Male with small ***** spins his wheels. Maybe his speedometer went above the limit, but the car didn't - not speeding!

Thus "SPEEDING NO ONE THINGS BIG OF YOU" is not really the best title for this video!

mb
Old 03 July 2010, 09:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I prefer this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hy6kCk57wM
Old 03 July 2010, 09:30 PM
chappers51
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
+1

From the rather tacky video...

Incident 1 - Male driver distracted by female pedestrian. Primary causation "distraction" - not speeding!

Incident 2 - Driver not looking and missing an entire junction never mind a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road. Primary causation "inattention" - not speeding!

Incident 3 - Driving too fast for the conditions (not sure whether 120kph is over the limit in Australia) whilst negotiating a blind left-hand bend. Primary causation "excessive speed" - not simply speeding!

Incident 4 - Pedestrian walking into path of vehicle. Primary causation "pedestrian walked into road without looking" - not speeding!

Incident 5 - Dog ran into road when car was doing 6000rpm (so no necessarily breaking the speed limit). Primary causation "dangerous overtaking" - not speeding!

Incident 6 - Male with small ***** spins his wheels. Maybe his speedometer went above the limit, but the car didn't - not speeding!

Thus "SPEEDING NO ONE THINGS BIG OF YOU" is not really the best title for this video!

mb
Haha well said
Old 03 July 2010, 10:12 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

lol ok maybe that video is for more dangerous driving

but ti was more posted for being more aware of driving safe as im pretty sure you all know our cars pick up speed quick and even though you dont plan to sometimes it leads to doing silly stuff.

either way wasnt suppose to cause an argument.. i know the speed cameras are just cash cows.. the video for me was more about being more careful when driving as silly manouvours come when you accidently get happy when on boost..
Old 03 July 2010, 10:37 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

lol relax man.. so much tension in here

woo saa
Old 05 July 2010, 02:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have fallen off them a good few times but I did eventually learn the lesson. It can be pretty painful, especially the gravel rash if it becomes infected. If you are unlucky enough to hit the other vehicle then you can be very poorly placed of course. Well worth avoiding believe me.

I have learned to ride defensively and spend a lot of time looking for the possibility of trouble ahead. I never assume another driver has seen me or is not going to do something stupid.

Les
Old 05 July 2010, 02:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Inexperience, inattention, inability and inconsiderate behaviour are in my view the prime causes of all RTCs. Speed just ramps up the severity of the outcome.
It also decreases your chances of avoiding an incipient accident!

Les