Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kids Learning Guitar

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2010, 12:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kids Learning Guitar

I have three kids, all boys, aged 11, 13, and 14, the two eldest ones have been having guitar lessons for quite a while now and are not progressing, have tried to spur them on but there seems to be a spark of enthusiasm for it missing, they wont practice and if it wasnt for the missus I would have sacked it off, I have offered Electric Guitars as a carrot to practice occasionally but they do ten minute after being browbeaten into it and then scuttle off onto the Xbox when you arent watching, ok its not compulsory but why shoudl I spend £100 a month on lessons when they cant be arsed.

Anyway, youngest has taken it up, lessons from the kid over the road rather than the Guitar Tutor, he seems to be picking it up, its been two/three weeks now and he seems to be on it all the time and is kncokign a few chords out and a bit of tune, though there is only so much "Smoke on the Water" I can deal with ! he has drums as well but didnt take to those but the guitar seems to suit his fidgety nature.

So, am after some advice fromt he guitarists on easy tunes to play, books to buy and generally how to keep this enthusiasm going, will get my brother involved as he is a brilliant guitarist but am after some opinions off here as I know quite a few of you play, I can play a few chords, thats about it, an added difficulty is they are all left handed as well (though middle one plays a right hand strung guitar)
Old 02 July 2010, 01:46 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I stumbled into the world of law I worked in music for about 10 years, the last 4 of them I was a studio manager, When we had workshops for kids we found the best way to get them to progress was teaching them Tabs rather than sheet music.

Guitar tabs are really easy to read, its all numbers not notes plus this will allow them to pick whatever song they want and learn to play it a lot faster than music. This let them learn their way around a guitar a lot quicker and gain confidence, which went hand in hand with them getting enthused about the guitar.

Have a look at these sites
www.ultimate-guitar.com
www.guitaretab.com
www.chordie.com

All those places have a massive range of songs all in tab form. We found once they could play along with their favourite songs they would start wanting to form bands and play more, it also allows them learn at a good pace and build up a knowledge of chords etc without it seeming like work.
Might be worth a try.
Old 02 July 2010, 01:53 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

Youtube is not bad for finding lessons of specific songs,a lot of good stuff for free some not so good.I use it a lot when i hear something i would like to learn I can usually find a few lessons on youtube .
Old 02 July 2010, 02:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Are your kids having lessons at school or private - sounds like private from the cost.

I'd drop the teaching for the two eldest as it just seems it's not their thing. But perhaps they can keep their hand in if there are any school lessons on offer?

I'd let the teacher you mention loose on your youngest and nurture those green shoots. Would this cause WW3 on the domestic side?

My son took to the guitar like a duck to water from age 13. It just about took over his life.

Some years down the line he is a typical musician. Broke, scruffy but happy with his life which ain't a bad start. And he has got a dozen GCSEs under his belt if he needs them

James is on right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=dvSS...eature=related

www.jameslockmusic.com

Good luck. dl
Old 02 July 2010, 06:00 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

What kind of music do they like listening to? As other posters have said, it sounds like they need to start learning some songs they like to get some enthusiasm for it.
Old 03 July 2010, 12:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose the only answer J4CKO is that if they basically have no real interest then you won't be able to force them to do the practice etc. If they were genuinely interested they would do it without having to be told.

You may well be right that the cost of the lessons is a waste.

Les
Old 03 July 2010, 03:15 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

My son has been learning the electric guitar the last few years (he's 12) through weekly lessons plus picking up free tabs from the internet and watching Youtube clips.
The lessons are a mix of short riffs plus learning techniques, rather than learning whole songs, that appears to be keeping his interest and letting him develop.

We've bought him a few songbooks but they just gather dust apart from a useful chords chart.

The school helps a it has a strong music class and has a rock group with about 15 elec guitarists making a wall of sound - a real "school of rock" .

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2010, 04:31 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

By far the best advice (I was a professional drummer for 14 years) would be to ditch the lessons completely as they stifle individual creativity. Encourage them to "Play by ear" and join a band. You will find their enthusiasm comes flooding back. Once they have learned the basic 3 chords needed there is no need for lessons.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:33 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I'm self taught. Can't read sheet music, but i get by just fine with tab and doing it "by ear" Took it up as i really wanted to learn and also to look cool! ha!
They really have to "want it" to be honest.
It's like making a vegetarian become a butcher. It's really not going to happen.
Try to nurture the little one, as i feel it's something thats really usefull to have socially, plus learning and playinghelped me while alot of hours away, when doing my apprenticeship with BMW staying at hotels, being bored/lonely.
Old 03 July 2010, 10:27 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosticles
By far the best advice (I was a professional drummer for 14 years) would be to ditch the lessons completely as they stifle individual creativity. Encourage them to "Play by ear" and join a band. You will find their enthusiasm comes flooding back. Once they have learned the basic 3 chords needed there is no need for lessons.
Not everyone can play by ear though. You need some lessons to get you in the swing. I think being naturally musical is a bit like being naturally artistic, I mean being able to paint. The kids have to really want to learn and be enthusiastic. I am not naturally musical but I practised guitar all day long, and I mean all day long, when I was in a band at college. I was sent to piano lessons as a kid and hated it so it was pointless. Tab all the way with guitar - very logical and simple.
Old 03 July 2010, 10:46 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I must be one of these musically talented types then as I play drums, guitar and bass and never had a lesson for any of them lol. I am trying to encourage my kids to get into playing music cause it will change your life. Getting into a band be they good or crap will change them.
Old 04 July 2010, 01:16 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

So, am after some advice fromt he guitarists on easy tunes to play, books to buy and generally how to keep this enthusiasm going, will get my brother involved as he is a brilliant guitarist but am after some opinions off here as I know quite a few of you play, I can play a few chords, thats about it, an added difficulty is they are all left handed as well (though middle one plays a right hand strung guitar)
Who needs books/tabs when you have internet+youtube:

http://threechordguitar.com/vids.htm
Old 04 July 2010, 09:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My boy taught the guitar to kids at local schools and privately. Within a few weeks of getting to know them he could tell easily which of them were keen and going to make progress. And there weren't many. One was a lad about 15 and the other a tot of a girl aged around 9 and just a few others.

I had lessons as a late teenager when I had a classical guitar phase and failed miserably!

I disagree slightly with the view that teachers are a complete waste of time as a good one will help improve technique and give you some direction taking account of the pupil's personal likes and dislikes.

But yes get involved in a band as that can be great fun and keeps kids off the street, as it were. I spend many an evening listening to my boy in his band competing in the local "Battle of the Bands" competition.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 04 July 2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04 July 2010, 09:40 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Should have mentioned that my son's lessons aren't through a formal teacher but the local music shop, where aspiring guitarists (all seem about 16-19) pass down their skills/tastes n music to the younger ones.
He's also had formal lessons in other instruments and rapidly went off them.
Old 04 July 2010, 10:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Sorry, not had chance to read your replies, will do tomorrow, cheers all !
Old 05 July 2010, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would really like to be able to play a musical instrument, but there was never time when I was a lad.

Les
Old 05 July 2010, 01:41 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Good, and easy songs on tab are Wonderwall by Oasis, Wonderful tonight by Eric Clapton.
Good books i bought for tab are called the guitar songbook series, they do lots of different styles depending what the boys are into.
Old 06 July 2010, 01:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only time I do any singing is in a huge crowd so that no one can hear me, especially myself!

I occasionally hit a note-when I am going through it.

Les
Old 06 July 2010, 02:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advice, I think we will be giving the pro tutor the elbow, nothign wrong with him, its just a lot of money and no interest from them, youngest is having some tuition from the lad over the road.

My brother taught himself and is willing to give them some time as well, its my missus, she feel slike we should give them every opportunity and we have had Piano lesons, drum lessons, Guitar lessons and whatever, I do without stuff so they can do it and its annoying, I wouldnt begrudge it if they put some effort into it and made progress but they are still rubbish, after six months I would expect more than a shaky rendition of Greensleeves.

Like everyone has said, its so accessible with people taking the time posting stuff on Youtube, the equipment is comparatively cheap for a starter set up as well.
Old 06 July 2010, 02:27 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

My daughter is being taught how to play guitar by an enthusiast - £10 an hour
Old 06 July 2010, 06:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
My daughter is being taught how to play guitar by an enthusiast - £10 an hour
I hope its a Guitar enthusiast !