Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it OK to leave a dog alone in house all day?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2010, 10:25 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it OK to leave a dog alone in house all day?

JACKO's response to the cow-torture thread got me thinking.

We've just got back from a week's holiday at a rented semi-detached holiday house in Wales.

Our property was superbly maintained, but the next-door neighbours' place was a tip. Anyone who's spent time in Wales will know what I mean: ramshackle out-buildings, 2 mouldy old abandoned scrap caravans and an overfilled skip filling their overgrown back "garden". They even delivered a trailer load of cows through it one day!

Anyway that didn't bother us next door, but what did was the fact that they used to leave their dog(s) alone in the house all day on each weekday and also on one occasion all evening. The poor thing(s) just barked literally from the moment the owners left for work in the morning until the moment they got back.

Now I have never owned a dog before, but is this standard practice? I know that cats can usually come and go as they please, but is it normal to leave a dog inside all day? For that matter is it reasonable to leave a dog to bark all day in the garden? Of course, the only people not affected by the continual barking are the selfish owners!
Old 29 June 2010, 10:31 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

dogs - most definately not. they need interaction. cats, as you say come and go as they please. others may think differently on here but i have always had a dog, i think it is unfair to leave a dog for 12 hours a day couped up in the house. it is no life for any dog.
Old 29 June 2010, 11:01 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The longest I would ever leave my dog is 4-5 hours.
I.e if we go out for a meal or to the shops etc.
I know they will sleep for this period of time and be fairly happy. After this time I know they would be starting to wake up and look for something to do.

The only reason I have dogs is because I can bring them to work with me, if I could not do that I would not have them TBH as I dont think its fair to have dogs and lock them up in a room for 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
Old 29 June 2010, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A dog barking all the time as soon as its owner leaves is suffering from seperation anxiety. Dogs think in circles and only focus on one thing at a time, so it'll repeat this activity for an eternity until the owner comes back or something else attracts his attention. It wouldn't matter if it was inside or outside, it would still go nuts when its owner left the dog on its own.

Usually they tear up whatever they can get their teeth into. Furniture, carpet, door frames, you name it. So I guess that house is probably as sh**ty inside as it is on the outside.

If the dog is like above, then no, its certainly not ok to leave it that long, inside or outside. The dog needs therapy for starters.

However there are cases where some dogs don't mind being left alone, and if given free run of the house with a comfy place for them to sleep in (usually an old fleece coat in the basket etc) they can generally occupy themselves and be of no harm. And all the more fond when the owner comes back. Some dogs even prefer to be in a cage! (They see the cage as their own little safe place; probably something to do with them being brought up as puppys in a whelping box).

We went through a period when work/uni took priority and my old dog ended being in the house all day, I'd pop back at lunch for half an hour, and basically all he did was sleep until we came back home and then I'd give him a run in the park in the evenings. It certainly didn't bother him that much.

Rolly is the same, it just doesn't phase him. He just curls up into his basket and gives a "well, go on, b*gger off and leave me" look.

My mates spanial on the other hand goes nuts. Cocker spanials are not the brightest of dogs in the first place, as such once they focus their mind on something, they just won't stop; In his case it''ll be the door that my mate left the house through, and thats only after leaving him for 5 seconds! They ended up buying another dog to keep him company (black lab); that kind of worked; Silly spanial is now happy as larry. Problem is, the other dog is incontinent!

So, what I'm saying is. It depends on the dog's mindset, and what the owner does with the dog when he is there.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 June 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 29 June 2010, 11:46 AM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

I have 2 dogs. As far as their wellbeing goes I would quite happily leave them for 8-9 hours or so that I’m at work. If I only had one dog I would have to reconsider. As previously stated a dog by itself will sleep for a while but then look for things to do when they wake up. If he/she has a companion they will entertain each other for as long as you are out.

However, I would hate to think I had to wait 8-9 hours between bathroom visits, and again, as someone else pointed out, what is the point in owning a dog of you are never there to enjoy its/their company.

Barking all day because the owner has left in some dogs IMO is made worse by poor training and lack of discipline right from the animal being a pup. I can leave my 2 anywhere, in any strange location, anyone’s house and as long as they have each other they are quiet. My dad’s 2 cockers are the same also – albeit a little nuts at times.

Bravo – in the case of re-homed dogs - is this request maybe because re-homed dogs come from psychologically challenging backgrounds and need constant human interaction to improve or sustain their temperament?
Old 29 June 2010, 12:07 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

No way should a dog be left for 9 hours at a time in a house..

Dog ownership is a 50/50 deal.........Not 95% you and 5% dog.

Companionship is a massive deal to a dog,moreso than a human.Leaving it alone for that length of time makes for a miserable existance..

Begs the question,why even own one at all if the poor thing is left alone all day? Factor in the time the owner is in bed and that leaves under 30% when the dog is to have any contact...

NOT enough in my opinion
Old 29 June 2010, 12:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ok, possibly.

Fair, defo not.
Old 29 June 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris 'n' Jen
I have 2 dogs. As far as their wellbeing goes I would quite happily leave them for 8-9 hours or so that I’m at work. If I only had one dog I would have to reconsider. As previously stated a dog by itself will sleep for a while but then look for things to do when they wake up. If he/she has a companion they will entertain each other for as long as you are out.

However, I would hate to think I had to wait 8-9 hours between bathroom visits, and again, as someone else pointed out, what is the point in owning a dog of you are never there to enjoy its/their company.

Barking all day because the owner has left in some dogs IMO is made worse by poor training and lack of discipline right from the animal being a pup. I can leave my 2 anywhere, in any strange location, anyone’s house and as long as they have each other they are quiet. My dad’s 2 cockers are the same also – albeit a little nuts at times.

Bravo – in the case of re-homed dogs - is this request maybe because re-homed dogs come from psychologically challenging backgrounds and need constant human interaction to improve or sustain their temperament?
Yes I agree with that, certainly a pretty poor effort to leave that poor dog by himself all day. I have known of that happening, in fact one bloke used to lock his dog in the garage while he was away, sometimes for more than one day. He got a visit from the authorities in the end. Poor dog was howling all day!

I would imagine that two dogs together would be happier as long as they liked each other of course!

Your last paragraph is pure NL, but I managed to translate it!

Les
Old 29 June 2010, 12:22 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

heh - trying to make sense while trying not to get caught at work sometimes gets the better of me
Old 29 June 2010, 12:30 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Nope, as I understand it it is because the RSPCA/dog rehoming centres etc believe it is fundamentally wrong to leave a dog for more than 4 hours. They suggest if you have to leave it longer than that on a regular basis you can't provide it with the right home environment and care it needs. I tend to agree which is why I only got my first dog when I was able to work from home.
On the whole I completely agree. I do my upmost not to leave mine for longer than 5 hours or so but sometimes have to due to unforeseen circumstances (once in a blue moon). They normally go out 4 times a day for between 15 - 30 mins each time and generally arent left alone for long at all.

Every now and then I see no problem but leaving them alone for longer periods over a long time I believe that people should re-evaluate their need/want for an animal!
Old 29 June 2010, 12:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Just as an eye opener; In spain, lots of Spaniards out in the sticks will leave their dogs for WEEKS on their own, as the property is often a holiday/weekend retreat and the owners work in the city.

The only food/water they get is via an automated feeder. If it stops working or runs out, they starve and die.

Some of them go literally insane from being fenced in a compound alone for so long. Alot of them are pedigree dogs too (Boxers, GSDs, Huskies, Chows). Not long ago a Spanish Mastif escape from a nearby yard and got into neighbours back garden, attacking one of his Jack Russells, the neighbour ending up killing the Spanish Mastif when trying to retrieve his dog (one blow with a scaffold pole - which proved fatal), unfortunately too late to save the Jack Russell which by then had literally been torn in half). Spanish Mastiffs are usually pretty placid saft lollopy things which rarely attack without provocation, but this one was mental. It came from a compound where its often on a chain all day 24/7.
Old 29 June 2010, 12:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Some Spaniards are the reverse and are very liberal, wheras some just generally don't give a s**t. Spanish mentality seems to one of either extreme, but very rarely any inbetween.

(same with drivers, they are either very good or extremely crap, there is never an inbetween or average driver)

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 June 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 29 June 2010, 01:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris 'n' Jen
heh - trying to make sense while trying not to get caught at work sometimes gets the better of me
I just had a little smile.

Les
bugboy
Scooby Regular

I leave my little Jack alone for max 4-5 hours. if I can't take him to work that day I get a dogwalker to take him on an hour walk. this is not idea but the right action for the dog. I agree that if your dog/s start barking when you leave and stop when you come home then you should rethink this plan..

9 hours couped up is too long for any dog in my opinion.
bugboy
Scooby Regular

I leave my little Jack alone for max 4-5 hours. if I can't take him to work that day I get a dogwalker to take him on an hour walk. this is not idea but the right action for the dog. I agree that if your dog/s start barking when you leave and stop when you come home then you should rethink this plan..

9 hours couped up is too long for any dog in my opinion.
Old 29 June 2010, 01:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Just as an eye opener; In spain, lots of Spaniards out in the sticks will leave their dogs for WEEKS on their own, as the property is often a holiday/weekend retreat and the owners work in the city.

The only food/water they get is via an automated feeder. If it stops working or runs out, they starve and die.

Some of them go literally insane from being fenced in a compound alone for so long. Alot of them are pedigree dogs too (Boxers, GSDs, Huskies, Chows). Not long ago a Spanish Mastif escape from a nearby yard and got into neighbours back garden, attacking one of his Jack Russells, the neighbour ending up killing the Spanish Mastif when trying to retrieve his dog (one blow with a scaffold pole - which proved fatal), unfortunately too late to save the Jack Russell which by then had literally been torn in half). Spanish Mastiffs are usually pretty placid saft lollopy things which rarely attack without provocation, but this one was mental. It came from a compound where its often on a chain all day 24/7.
Thats a terrible thing to read about.

I think I learned about the way they think when I went to a bull fight once-never again!

Les
Old 29 June 2010, 02:58 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I think that the 4-5 hours as stated is long enough.

If two people live in a property then you should consider how much time you will spend with the dog before you have one. It's not hard to understand that being along for long periods everyday, can cause issues.

If someone who works full time takes on a dog, knowing full well that it will be left for lengthy times alone, I would definatly say it boarders on neglect.
Old 29 June 2010, 08:52 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Ditto - the most I will leave my dog alone in the house is 4-5 hours. On the three days a week I have to go in to the office (which is 40+ miles away) I have a dog sitter who picks him up a couple of hours after I leave in the morning and drops him off an hour or so before I get home.
Old 29 June 2010, 11:55 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I use to take my dogs to work but redundancy and new job has changed that so my retired parents come round twice a day and play with my two in the garden (i know this from the state of the garden and muddy paw prints in the house)

4-5 hours is fine for some dogs but some need a toilet break sooner, my 2 year old needs the toilet between 1 and 3 hours after a meal because she drinks so much with the dried food and she cant wait longer so i fit her meals round the times she can go in the garden.

As said above having dogs is a partnership and some working breeds require a lot of time and interaction, whilst some pet breeds are happy with a cuddle in front of the TV.

Being Wales i doubt any one would be interested but i believe there are now minimum exercise limits set some where by law and dogs can be removed if these welfare standards are not met, though these can be difficult to meet if you live in a town with dogs being banned from running off the lead in public places by many councils