Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Reporting a Case of Animal Cruelty

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2010, 08:34 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Reporting a Case of Animal Cruelty

All day I've tryed to phone a farm near to where I stay with no avail. There's been a cow lying at the fence near the main road looking like it's not doing too well - like it's about to die.

Then tonight (about 30 mins ago), someone shows up (not the farmer, presumably a farm hand) with a pickup, obviously there to see what's going on. Now in this situation you'd expect either the animal to be taken away, or, in the case of it still being alive, for a vet to be called.

I wasn't there up to this point, although my parents (who saw it all from the beginning) tell me that, what he then started doing, was kicking it as hard as he could, hitting it with a stick, tieing it to his pickup with a rope, and then dragging it around for a bit... obviously in the belief that whatever it was unable to do itself, he would suddenly make it realise it could do.

After that he went away and arrived back with a forklift. This is about the same time I arrived to see what he was doing - through binoculars.

He then proceeded to hang the thing up with some slings (literally several feet off the ground by its hind legs), jerk it up and down, and attempt to stand it up on all fours. It did this for a while before collapsing again (while he was hitting it ). After that he appeared even more angry that it wasn't responding and decided to drag it around by the boom on the forklift alone!! You can't even imagine the pain it would have been in then.

After this last attempt, he then picked it up by the neck in slings and drove it away to the farm. This, it would seem, would have hung it. So it will definitely be dead now.

My question: Is there any point in reporting this to the RSPCA? Considering it will be dead now and he'll likely get rid of it. Seems a bit of a waste of time (will anything be done??). But I cannot believe my Dad sat there watching all this through binoculars and didn't think to phone anyone! I was seriously tempted to grab something out the shed and give this vile c*nt a good hammering in the same way he'd done to the cow, but no doubt that would have got me in serious sh*t and nothing would happen to him anyway.

And don't bother with the 'it was his animal, so it was his rights spiel' - my grandfather farmed the land where I live now so I know what the score is, but there is a line that was crossed with the above. Totally out of order and he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see it.
Old 28 June 2010, 08:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would report it, no excuse for that, its a living thing and I have no problem with killing it and eating it but causing something distress in such a manner is not on. Would speak to the RSPCA, then you have doen something and if they have been in trouble before they will get a visit, at least perhaps the individual may get a talking to, if nothing else its a bit of feedback on their "Methods"

I was at a B and B in the Lakes the other week, was there three days on and off and thy had a Springer Spaniel, looked well looked after enough but it was tied up all day, seemingly every day, it had food and water and a kennel to shelter in but it made me wonder why they had a Dog, what a totoally **** life.

Last edited by J4CKO; 28 June 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 28 June 2010, 08:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pity you didnt get any photos or footage or some kind of evidence against the w@nker, hanging it isnt really a humane way of killing it is it? Yea get on to RSPCA or something to go round and inspect its carcass for signs of brutality.
Old 28 June 2010, 10:08 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Report it. They may not be able to prove/do anything but it may highlight the farmer involved to them, so they can 'keep an eye out'. Stuff like this makes my blood boil.
Old 28 June 2010, 11:19 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above report it, you really should have reported it earlier, by the sounds of it its too late for the animal.
Old 28 June 2010, 11:24 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think i would have been able to stop myself from t**ting the *****,i saw amate once giving his dog agood kicking for nought till i knocked him out for it,things like that are beyond my way of thinking defo report him mate.Ryan
Old 28 June 2010, 11:31 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

you must report it.
i worked on a dairy farm for years and we cared for those animals like pets.
this little f%#ker who decided he would use farm machinery to abuse animals needs sorting.

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2010, 02:48 AM
Rat who ate the Cat
BANNED

RSPCA or SSPCA, then burn down the farm house after knecapping the ****** responsible for the act of cruelty
Old 29 June 2010, 08:55 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

If you report it they may not be able to do anything now but they will visit them and keep an eye out.
The farmer may not be aware that his employee was mistreating an animal so bringing it to his attention could solve the problem.
I live on a farm, my wife has been a farmer all her life and we would not stand for any animal cruelty at all. Livestock farming can be a very frustrating and difficult job (Just like any job) but there's no need to take it out on the animals, especially when they are ill or in distress.
Old 29 June 2010, 08:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Shameful behaviour, there is never any excuse for mistreating an animal. I think I would not only report it to the RSPCA but also to the Police.

Les
Old 29 June 2010, 09:05 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

That's dreadful

I'd be reporting the farm to Defra, I think they are the governing body who look after the welfare of livestock.

Whichever, they should not be allowed to get away with such outright cruelty
Old 29 June 2010, 09:41 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
That's dreadful

I'd be reporting the farm to Defra, I think they are the governing body who look after the welfare of livestock.

Whichever, they should not be allowed to get away with such outright cruelty
Unfortunately Defra don't do unannounced visits, they will phone him to let him know they are coming, giving him an opportunity to hide any evidence.
(I know this because my wife works for defra part time as a field officer)
Old 29 June 2010, 09:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd certainly report it to RSPCA and to police. I'd tell the police that you would inform local papers if they don't act. You are a witness to the event so that must count.

What a b,astard.

dl
Old 29 June 2010, 10:04 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

That's disgusting. That poor animal!

The situation needs reporting. Nothing can be done for that poor animal, but it could possibly stop further harm to others.