Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Next generation of footballers

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2010, 11:24 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next generation of footballers

My son is 3 and is showing a lot of interest in football. Do clubs / training sessions exist for kids that young? I spend my formative years in another part of the world, so don't know much about it.

Judging on last night's performance, we need every chance we can get
Old 19 June 2010, 05:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

My Son loved football from a very eary age too. When he started school, he got onto the school football team. He then progressed to a local junior club. Went to "big school" and got into rugby.
He then discovered girls and now only plays footie once a week with his mates
Old 19 June 2010, 06:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Yes they will start looking at kids at a very young age 4+ is not unusual. The thing is that there is no real investment from the clubs side. It's the parents who have to make all the sacrifices. You do get better coaching though and not somebody who will run the team but only so their kid can play up front every week. It also helps avoid the parental politics if you can get into a club scheme.
Old 19 June 2010, 06:08 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

It all depends on what is set up locally, We have a club over the road from us that takes kids from 3 (they use tiny little goals it so sweet). I dont know of a national program but I do know that it is possible.
Of course is there is nothing set up by you then you could take it upon yourself to start a club!!!! I am sure there will be others wanting their kids to join a club at that age.
Old 19 June 2010, 07:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I would be wary of too much training for youngsters especially small children still growing. Keeping fit and active is very important, making sure you havn't worn out joints and torn too many muscles, etc by the time you are 25 and hardly able to walk when cold is important.

Natural talent will mostly come to the top, let him play/practicew with other kids his age or older to hone his skills there rather than get into too much training would be my advice. I am sure most if not all clubs have the kids welfare at heart but even so he is very young. Make sure wherever he goesthat it is just not too much too soon.
Old 21 June 2010, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Early interests can change just like that as they get a bit older. As said above, best not to go over the top with the training and let him play with those of his own age.

Les