I can see why PC gaming is dying on its ****,

A comparison,

Flight Simulator X on the PC vs Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox 360

Flight Sim X

Open package, examine the three disks for disk 1

Insert Disk 1
Realise there is a conflict with the old install
Remove old install
Wonder why installer still thinks old version is still there despite being removed
Reboot
Wait twenty minutes whilst all the crap the kids have installed loads
Run Setup
Get told latest version of Direct X required
Try to download latest Direct X
Sort out why wireless network wont connect
reboot router
reboot pc
have a brew
install direct x
install game
input activation code
input activation code again
Throw mouse
try second (xp) activation code, still no joy
use activation code from last purchase (lost disk)
insert disk 2
try to install "Acceleration pack"
Give up installing acceleration pack, its moaning about service pack 2
Reboot pc
Snap at anyone who comes within thirty feet
sort wireless out again
Punch pc
Game starts - wahey, here we go
Fatal Error
2 hours browsing forums looking for solution
Defrag
Clear Disk space
Run Spybot
Get distacted by ****/Scoobynet/life
Shut down and reboot as getting hour glass thing
Gnaw corner off pc in frustration
De-install game
Clear registry, previous versions, Feng Shui computer area
Curse Vista as tis very ****
Start to re-install
Re-install complete
Try starting the game again
Fatal Error again
Lose will to live, realise I dont want to simulate flying any more
Speculate that 9/11 terrorists were not terrorists just frustrated flight sim users trying an easier method of flying a plane than installing a sim on windows.
Set fire to pc
Bury charred pc in an unmarked shallow grave with a fresh turd to mark where it lies

Decide to play Red Dead Redemption on Xbox using the following procedure

Switch Xbox on
Insert disk
Play game

Last edited by J4CKO; 17 June 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 17 June 2010, 11:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Was watchin the footie me
Old 17 June 2010, 11:07 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still play all my games on the PC as opposed to console, I've tried every console around and they just dont feel right, keyboard and mouse everytime for me
Old 17 June 2010, 11:12 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

They do games for the PC ?

I've only just got a Playstation..... but the lid is a bit loose.

dunx
Old 17 June 2010, 11:22 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Old 17 June 2010, 11:42 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like user error to me
Old 17 June 2010, 11:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a noob to me
Old 17 June 2010, 11:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I was nearly burnt at the stake on here for saying PC gaming was dying. It's dying. PC's for fun are dying.
Old 18 June 2010, 08:28 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yes, games for PC are dying. We are becoming an ever more consumer driven population. PCs for pure leisure use are a nightmare as nobody seems to take responsibility for looking after them. You have to install updates, patches, antivirus, run scans, make sure bloatware does not get installed...etc...etc.

I work with computers all the time, and even I get frustrated with games at times. When they work that are amazing, but quite often the games developers do not make your life as easy as it could be to install and run them
Old 18 June 2010, 09:13 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The big bucks are with consoles so developers are making games for consoles then doing crap ports of the game to PC which feel hamstrung by their console first interface (Aliens Vs Predator is a prime example of a game hamstrung by being console first). Devs that focus on PCs first make some spectacular games (fallout 3, STALKER)

Consoles will never compete with PCs in visual excellence. As PCs develop the games can be tweaked graphically to produce stunning visuals whereas consoles are stuck with the coding they were given on day one.

Consoles are like the McDonalds for quick fix gaming whereas PCs are the 5 Star restuarant that produces the food "when its ready" and tastes excellent.

If PC gaming was dying then explain to me why graphics card manufacturers release cards that cost £1000? If it was dying who is going to buy that card?

IMO both platforms are evolving with consoles trying to be PCs (web access, facebook access etc) and PCs having to be more friendly - although personally since I put Win7 on my new build the machine has been flawless.

I would also point out that without PCs how are console games to be made? PC gaming has gone done in popularity and it would be sad if PC gaming stops altogether but I can't see it.

I sold my PS3 months ago and don't miss it at all. PC games will always be made and although the big companes like EA and Infinity Ward (bunch of A holes) may spout on about not making PC games any more there will also be the independents releasing fantastic PC games.

Jacko - theres a few telling comments in there - "vista" and "kids installs" both of which make for unhappy PC use.

Last edited by EddScott; 18 June 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18 June 2010, 09:39 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The game developers will buy that card, and they'll use a very nice 'work' PC to produce the game. People will call you mad for spending £800 on a complete device - especially if it has an Apple on it - how hatstand must you be to spend that so a game looks a bit better but plays the same??

Maybe PC gaming is already as dead as it's going to get.
Old 18 June 2010, 09:58 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss pc gaming, consoles can't compete especially when it comes to games like command & conquer or starcraft! This sort of game is just crap on consoles due to the controls.

I remember playing a demo of System Shock and literally been blown away by how great it looked!
Old 18 June 2010, 10:06 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Won't games like Command and Conquer be awesome on a touch screen tablet. Or am I thinking about the wrong game?
Old 18 June 2010, 10:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Guess I'm not alone http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/108/1081716p1.html
Old 18 June 2010, 11:21 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Good idea for on the move gaming I guess. Would prefer a PSP though.

I'm enjoying a renewed love of PC gaming right now. Never used the PC for gaming for most of last year mostly due to Vista making the machine unstable and I could not be bothered to fix it. I recently upgraded the PC to include HDMI output and a Bluray drive to provide me with better Bluray playback (albeit after much tweaking) and Dolby TrueHD audio.

I've also enjoyed a nigh on complete walk through of Fallout3, a month long trek through "The Zone" in STALKER Call Of Pripyat and I'm now either fighting in the 41st Millenium in Dawn of War 2 or playing through my favorite genre of Aliens Vs Predator and trying to ignore its console-ised movement.

IMO, making a game for console then PC quite often ruins the feel of the game.
Old 18 June 2010, 11:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

PC games have been dying for about 20 years , but they really are dying, what is taking the place of the PC game, is a ****ty console port, brought out 6 months after the console release, as a way to get a few extra pennies from the "old" console code.

I love playing on my 360, but it is starting to feel the age now when you compare it with a "proper" PC game, just look at ARMA 2 or the original Crysis, they really flex the PC platform, and simply would not run on a console.

If you buy a PC game on a platform like steam, it is usually quite simples to get up and running, pay, install, start.

I suspect the vast majority of new PC games nowadays will be console ports.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:14 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
PC games have been dying for about 20 years , but they really are dying, what is taking the place of the PC game, is a ****ty console port, brought out 6 months after the console release, as a way to get a few extra pennies from the "old" console code.

I love playing on my 360, but it is starting to feel the age now when you compare it with a "proper" PC game, just look at ARMA 2 or the original Crysis, they really flex the PC platform, and simply would not run on a console.

If you buy a PC game on a platform like steam, it is usually quite simples to get up and running, pay, install, start.

I suspect the vast majority of new PC games nowadays will be console ports.
MW2 being the biggest let down of them all, they didnt even bother to give us dedicate servers FFS.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:25 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

had this discussion with a mate of mine the other day.

theres no doubt consoles are more useable for joe bloggs.
theres no doubt pc's are better games platforms and more felxible.
theres no doubt that consoles are cheaper
theres no doubt pc's are more advanced

so its a toss up between the two, unless they release a new console every month they will be out of date all the time. xbox 360 and ps3 for example, most up to date consoles yet behind the game already in performance.

so will pc game die out? i don't think so, people will always want the high end performance and flexibility that comes with them.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Tidgy
had this discussion with a mate of mine the other day.

theres no doubt consoles are more useable for joe bloggs.
theres no doubt pc's are better games platforms and more felxible.
theres no doubt that consoles are cheaper
theres no doubt pc's are more advanced

so its a toss up between the two, unless they release a new console every month they will be out of date all the time. xbox 360 and ps3 for example, most up to date consoles yet behind the game already in performance.

so will pc game die out? i don't think so, people will always want the high end performance and flexibility that comes with them.
But unless you buy new hardware every 6 months your PC is also out of date, so what's the dfifference?

You could argue that PC games never truly achieve their potential because they are writing to cope with so many configs it's always a compromise. AT least devs for consoles know the platform isn't going to change and they get more and more out of it.

What's needed in games now is better games, not necessarily better GFX, so the platform becomes largely irrelevant.

One last thing, if 3D gaming takes off, what's a better platform to play it on, a large 3D TV or a (relatively) small PC screen?

Geezer
Old 18 June 2010, 12:51 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
The big bucks are with consoles so developers are making games for consoles then doing crap ports of the game to PC which feel hamstrung by their console first interface (Aliens Vs Predator is a prime example of a game hamstrung by being console first).
I was under the impression that the best version of Aliens Vs Predator was the PC version, Jaguar version is very old and the latest 360/PS3 versions are apparently crap even compared to the PC version which was released over 10 years ago.
Am i missing something, which console version was better than the PC version?
Not having a dig just wondering.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:54 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It could also be the fact that a decent gaming pc costs about 4 times as much as a console. Plus, in two years time, you will need to upgrade not only the graphics card but probably the processor as well. And as above, with most games, you don't just switch on and play, you have to go through an endless sequence of trial and error just to get the damn game to load.

I used to love pc gaming, especially when playing the likes of mech warrior, gp2/3/4 and doom3. But I now have an Xbox 360 running on a Panasonic Viera Plasma with a 5.1 surround sound system. Why would I want to spend another £1000+ on a pc just to see slightly better graphics?

Playability is far more important to me than being dazzled by super dooper graphics. Just look at how popular the Wii console is! The graphics are crap but because they are just so easy to use, everyone wants one. The mrs wanted ours infact as I didn't feel like like going back to PS1 style grpahics.

Long live the Xbox and PS3!
Old 18 June 2010, 12:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did finally get it installed, three hours all told.
Old 18 June 2010, 01:00 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Playability
FPS games on a console suck *****. RTS games on a console suck *****.

A gaming PC is more expensive but can be built for £500 and PC games are much cheaper.
Old 18 June 2010, 01:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

PC's never really made it into the living room, and now they've missed the boat. If you like playing games under the stairs, in your bedroom or office then crack on.
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
But unless you buy new hardware every 6 months your PC is also out of date, so what's the dfifference?

You could argue that PC games never truly achieve their potential because they are writing to cope with so many configs it's always a compromise. AT least devs for consoles know the platform isn't going to change and they get more and more out of it.

What's needed in games now is better games, not necessarily better GFX, so the platform becomes largely irrelevant.

One last thing, if 3D gaming takes off, what's a better platform to play it on, a large 3D TV or a (relatively) small PC screen?

Geezer

thats a fair point, but you can do that if you want, if money is no object then you wont care. xbox is now, what 2 years old? yes they have brought out revisions (isn;t it just hard drive increase and wireless connectivity), but its still largley the same thing. same with ps3.

im looking at getting a new pc in the next couple of months and i would put money on it will be more powerfull than the ps4 at the time of its relesase, console specs get set way way to early in there development too allow the coding etc to be done so there always behind.

i can't see a console ever coping with bang up to date games where theres huge amount of objects with top graphics detailing due to lack of grunt on them (comand and conqure, total war series etc). the software is always more advanced than the hardware on the console. Plus they have to be coded to the lowest spec version of the consoles.
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Any good racing games on available for the PC these days? Last good one was GP4, which you can still get car sets and patches for now.
Old 18 June 2010, 01:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I still play my driving games on the pc and much prefer it with a force feedback wheel.

Rally 5, Grid, and TOCA3 work very well.

Les
Old 18 June 2010, 01:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
PC's never really made it into the living room, and now they've missed the boat. If you like playing games under the stairs, in your bedroom or office then crack on.
that realy depends on your setup, mate runs his pc through his 40 inch tv looks pretty good with HD output
Old 18 June 2010, 01:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I still play my driving games on the pc and much prefer it with a force feedback wheel.

Rally 5, Grid, and TOCA3 work very well.

Les

i love grid. also been playing test drive unlimited, bit older now but still good fun.
Old 18 June 2010, 01:29 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If grid plays anything like the 360 version - no thanks. prefer sims rather than arcade racing games. Forza 3 on xbox 360 is simply stunning.

Quick Reply: Console Gaming vs PC Gaming