Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

online golf handicap certificates, how official are they?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2010, 07:28 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default online golf handicap certificates, how official are they?

my mate has blagged a golf day at Wentworth on the West course (lucky ****** ) but he's only a social golfer with no official club handicap.

trouble is Wentworth need a certificate and you can't be any higher than 18 to get on he's been told.

the quality of his golf is ok, he's probably around 15, but he's worried that one of these online certificates will get laughed out of the clubhouse if it's a bit mickey mouse.

so, are these recognised enough to get him on? some are free and some are at a small fee, is there any difference?

cheers,
Paul
Old 07 June 2010, 07:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Well I got my gynaecology doctorate off the internet & I haven't been busted yet !!
Old 07 June 2010, 09:27 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I suspect Wentworth won't be happy unless it is an official CONGU handicap - ie. issued by a club or society that is a authorized by CONGU to maintain handicaps for their members according to the CONGU regulations.

You said he's a social golfer - does this mean he plays at society days, and if so, could he get one of these to issue him a certificate based on playing history?

I go to La Manga with a group of friends every year and they are supposedly similarly fussy, but I've never once been asked to produce a handicap certificate (which is a good job because I'm currently playing off 23 - fortunately I look like a 12 handicapper off the tees and a 36 handicapper around the greens). If your mate can't get a certificate then he may be able to blag it - hopefully they won't ask and if they do he can just say he forgot it and see if they will let him play. If he's really sneaky he could get onto a site like howdidido and see if he can find a member of a local club with the same first initial and surname (which is all they list) and impersonate them.
Old 07 June 2010, 09:38 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

reading up on it CONGU is the only 'proper' handicap you can get, like you say it's only for club members who pay golf union fees (i think that's right) i've got one but it's a bit lower than he'd like to impersonate and he's worried he'll come unstuck.

apparently there's a caddy issued to each player on the West course so he wants to keep it as above board as possible.

he does play the odd society, but i meant social as in he only plays when he gets a chance to squeeze it into family life

it does mention on some sites they are accepted at Wentwoth and St Andrews to name a couple of biggies, but they do say to phone ahead to check. i've told him to get in touch to find out what's best.
Old 07 June 2010, 10:09 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

They probably won't check him but watch him off the 1st tea, if it's a crap tee off they will give him a ball and ask him to leave.
Old 08 June 2010, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They would not need a card to see my golfing handicap.

Les