Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boiler recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2010, 10:52 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boiler recommendations

Actually I am asking more about the quote (rather than the boiler type). I had 4 people round - 2 large national energy suppliers, and two companies that operate "nationally", but I personally have not heard of before.

The three first callers suggested a 18kW boiler for the house size/build, the last guy said it was right on the edge of the 18kW rating output rating and I should look at 24kW sdo that the boiler is not being worked hard during winter (and reducing it's life). All were told that in future we may expand in the loft - more rads etc. The last guy showed me his calculations and I have since checked them online - he's right, it's right on the edge now and probably would never cope in future if we expand.

However the last guy suggested a 24kW boiler model you can only buy as a combi, which he knew we didn't want.

So I don't actually trust any of the quotes. Should I ring back any of them or just ditch them all as they have not quoted properly? Perhaps the boiler heat output is something I should ring the first three back about and see what they say. I understand that you should not go substantially overspec on heating output anyway as it will be wasted. But I don't want to find either we cannot heat the house in future or the boiler is really working hard/for long periods of time.

Any ideas? I don't particularly fancy sitting through any more quote/hard sells (at about 45 minutes each!).

Last edited by Miniman; 01 June 2010 at 10:54 AM.