Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had chemo/radio therapy??

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2010, 03:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone had chemo/radio therapy??

My wife has just started a course of chemotherapy with radiotherapy to follow. Got loads of leaflets etc from the hospital about what to expect but was wondering if any peeps on here have been unfortunate enough to have had this and can offer any advise to make things any easier. PM me if you like. Cheers.

Chip
Old 29 May 2010, 03:14 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My mum did a couple of years ago. She was always very slight, but lost a bit of weight, and found it difficult to put it back on. Hair loss is a definite downer but my mums hair came back in droves, so there shouldnt be a worry of never seeing it again.

I hope your wife (and you) get through this as quickly and easily as possible, my good wishes to her.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:20 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I had Lung Cancer 10 years ago and was very fortunate not to require any further treatment after the operation. What I do know though is support and a positive attitude from friends and family goes a long way and will see her through it all.

Having known how the whole illness feels my thoughts go out to her. Good luck to you both Chip.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Gonna really depend on the particular drug for the chemo mate. They all have different effects.
Mum was really quite ill on her course, weight loss, badly upset stomach, loss of apetite, skin rashes and sores, weakness and very tired. On the flip side, she is alive now, and as much as she hated it, I think she is thankful she went ahead with it.

The radio was far more routine, she was not phased by having it, little reluctance to having it, and no true side effect other than sore skin.

All the best with it mate, my thoughts are with you. If you want to talk about it, have questions etc feel free to PM or email me, call if you want. Any thing to help

it will be a testing time, for you both. You will have to watch her be dragged to hell, and she will have to tolorate being there.... But there is light at the end of it. I am so thankful that these drugs were developed, and have so much respect for those working in the oncology field, and those who go through treatment.

Sorry if some of the above is a bit scary, its just meant to be realistic for worst case .

best wishes
Old 29 May 2010, 03:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

In short, find out the drug, and wikipedia it, go from there. Side effects can differ widely.
Old 29 May 2010, 04:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I cant comment on chemo, but I did have radiotherapy. Eight weeks of visiting the hospital every day (not weekends mind, unless I sat there waiting for hours when the damn machine broke, then it could be weekends too). I was just so tired all the time, struggled to get upstairs in one go. Also the getting to hospital, parking etc etc was a real drain.
Most days my wife would drive me in and stay with me. She was a real gem.

I think the biggest thing you can do is support your wife. Be there for her, help out at home, do all the running around, she will be so knackered. Perhaps a little short at times too, dont bite.

With all my heart I wish her all the very best.
Old 29 May 2010, 04:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Positive attitude and please suggest she sees a nutrionist who will be able to suggest a diet that will help the body deal with the chemo.

Good luck to you both

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2010, 05:13 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Chip
My wife has just started a course of chemotherapy with radiotherapy to follow. Got loads of leaflets etc from the hospital about what to expect but was wondering if any peeps on here have been unfortunate enough to have had this and can offer any advise to make things any easier. PM me if you like. Cheers.

Chip
My SIL has been through both. Breast cancer. Glad to report she is absolutely fine now.
She lost her hair with the Chemo and was extremely tired, most of the time. Very little sickness though. She said the radio was a breeze after that. She burnt a little, but got some special cream from the hospital that helped alot.

My best wishes to you both
Old 30 May 2010, 11:52 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your comments and PMs that we have received. Really nice to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel though that does seem very far away at the moment though we will get there in the end I am sure.

The drug she is on is Carboplatin and I have looked it up and there is loads of info though I guess individuals will all react in their own way and have different side effects.

Cheers

Chip
Old 30 May 2010, 12:11 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your comments and PMs that we have received. Really nice to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel though that does seem very far away at the moment though we will get there in the end I am sure.

The drug she is on is Carboplatin and I have looked it up and there is loads of info though I guess individuals will all react in their own way and have different side effects.

Cheers

Chip
SN can be a suprising place during dark times mate. if there is one thing the users have its a wealth of experience in most walks of life.
I truly hope the reactions are as mild as can be, and bareable. The end goal is so rich in reward, its worth the painful journey for sure.

My mum has had about an extra 18 months with us so far due to her courage of putting up with terrible side effects. I will never forget how strong and brave she has been through all of this.

Keep an eye on the side effects, and look them up as and when anything occurs. The net is full of wierd and wonderful suggestions for cooling the skin, moisturising, fighting nausea, keeping nutrition up etc.

Plenty of people here are about all the time for a chat, a vent or just an exchange of words, me included at any time.

All the best with her treatment, and know our thoughts are with you both.
And one more thing.... dont feel selfish if you feel any kind of strange emotions during this testing time. Its natural to be confused, feel a little alone, and even anger. I know I have been to some damn strange places mentally over the past 2 years, but it all made sense in the end.

Take care
Old 30 May 2010, 12:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Snazy
SN can be a suprising place during dark times mate. if there is one thing the users have its a wealth of experience in most walks of life.

Take care
Agreed, i think that NSR and its users often get a battering for being uncaring, unfeeling hard, a bit thick and right-wingers but this is not the case, not with all and i ventrue most people who use this forum.

Snazy - my thoughts go with you and your mum as always.

Chip i cannot offer any advice re chemo or radiotherapy except to say the very best to you and yours
Old 30 May 2010, 01:16 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Scoobynet is a bizarre place, those who sit and snipe at others crass comments are the same people who chip in for an autistic lad's bike, offer heartfelt concolences to people suffering in their losses, and in this case give up good advice and experiences in this thread to a guy whos wife is going through a hard time with her health.

It warms the cockles for me, an old romantic who loves to see the good side of people.

Chip, Ive said it once, Ill say it again, all my best to your wife, you, and all your family in this difficult time, the healing power of a tight family unit cannot be underestimated.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:38 PM
Will
BANNED

Chip, best wishes to your wife, your self and family mate.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Dad had chemo, his side effects were feeling like he was about to throw up all the time and tiredness. He didn't loose his hair.

Other than that, the nain has been hit on the head, different courses have different side effects.

I wish your wife well Chip, 3 of my family have been through this, and if I see it again, it will be a lifetime too soon.

My advise to you is try and be strong for her, if you have any questions ask the consultant. It will be physically tough on her and mentally tough on you. The best day of your life will be the 1 where you hear the words "in remission".
Old 30 May 2010, 03:47 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Several family members and friends have had it with various side effects.
From talking to them (the women anyway) potential hair loss is one of the most distressing aspects, some of them said that was worse than the actual diagnosis. One friend wore a 'cold cap' during treatment and did not lose her hair, most of the others spent vast amounts of money on wigs, wore them a handful of times, and then chucked them (too uncomfortable).
From what I understand the week of the chemo they feel okay, the following week they feel absolutely dreadful, better the following week, great the next week, so if you were planning anything avoid the second week (obviously would depend on the length of the treatment cycles etc).
Also your family life is going to revolve around appointments for a while but don't be frightened of asking for things to be re-arranged if necessary (my mum was a cancer nurse and she said the patients get a huge boost from special occasions, holidays etc so the medical staff were happy to do this if it was possible without having a negative effect on the treatment schedule).

Best wishes to you and your wife, I think in some ways it can be as hard for the partner because you may feel a bit useless as to what you can do to help.
Old 30 May 2010, 04:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad news about your wife your really going to have to support her, I have had 2 mates go through chemo/radiotherapy and both say the same thing, you have to remember this is radiation sickness, the radiotherapy is like the last course of treatment, you get 1 shot at it so every day is a day your going to be blessed with your wife being with you, so make the most of it

The treatment is a killer, radiation sickness has the same effect on everyone depending on the doseage used, that person will become lathargic, feel sick all the time will need as much support as possible, as my mate Bob said, there will be days you just want to die as it feels worse than having the cancer but its worth it in the end

Find out from your doctor what support you can get to help you and your family through these times and good luck and best wishes to your missus

Tony
Old 30 May 2010, 09:22 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Mum lost her hair. She needed some form of normality so she bought a wig, 2 wigs actually, very expensive, they made her feel better. Give anything to have her back. I wish you and yours the best, the very best
Old 30 May 2010, 10:17 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mum lost her hair and was quite ill with it .. Chemo that is her mum however had radio and Chemo and didnt miss a beat .. carried on as if nothing was wrong ..

Very difficult to predict but I wish you both all the best.
Old 31 May 2010, 07:00 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Chip, I am a working for a oncology education/communication company. If you need any further (more detailed information) then drop me a pm.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:43 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your wife is having to go through this Chip. Hope she gets better soon.
Old 31 May 2010, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sorry to hear about the troubles Chip, my best wishes for the easiest possible time.

I had bowel cancer and the diagnosis was somewhat delayed because the GP did not think thats what is was. Eventually I was diagnosed just in time and luckily they were able to cut the bad 6 inches out and stitch me together again.

I did the full course of chemo for that type of cancer, did not cause the hair to drop out although I did lose a bit. It made me tired and I had extreme loss of appetite. Lost a great deal of weight. I did not realise how much until i saw a photo and it looked as though I was not going to make it through that night! When the chemo finished the recovery was fairly quick for the more extreme effects but it took about 3 months at least for the drug to leave my system.

The treatment was a bit of a nuisance but I looked at it as necessary to get over the disease and that was the priority. I ignored the side effects because I felt that way.

Hope it all goes smoothly and your wife can also treat any side effects as less important than the job that the chemo is doing for her.

Les
Old 31 May 2010, 01:15 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Chip
Assuming its Velindre hospital-my wife was a senior radiographer there-pm me if you need to know anything and i'll get her to reply or give you her phone no to call- good luck anyways to you both
cheers Richie
Old 01 June 2010, 06:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Thanks again to all who replied and for the PMs as well, really is most appreciated.
Richie , she is having chemo at the mo but may well contact you regarding radio after chemo is over. She's had a really rough few days but hopefully getting better now til the next dose of the wretched stuff.

Thanks again all,

Chip
Old 01 June 2010, 06:56 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I've had chemo and radio therapy, but this was back in 1992...so I'd guess some treatment is different now anyway.

Looking back, the only thing that upset me was seeing other people get upset for me. God knows how my mum and dad carried on as normal. But maybe their 'matter of fact' way of dealing with it (to me at least) helped me deal with it.

Good luck and stay positive.
Old 01 June 2010, 07:24 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Chip, you did not mention if she is having neoadjuvant or adjuvant therapy and which what drug/combination she is having.

Hair loss is quite a common side effect, as is nausea and vomiting. You can also get some toxicities which can be a pain in the *** and may require a dose-reduction or interruption in certain cases.

But anyway, good luck to both of you
Old 01 June 2010, 09:27 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Richie , she is having chemo at the mo but may well contact you regarding radio after chemo is over.

Chip
The wife had a fairly senior position so is up on chemo as well if you need to know owt-still have plenty of contacts there so if you want to know something specific just ask-Im certain we can find out pretty much anything you ask.
If you dont mind me asking do you know who her consultant is? PM me if you want as there are some consultants there who are much better than others.
The most imporant thing is to ask if you have and questions and doubts and dont be fobbed off with 'doctor speak' , go to the cheif exec of the hospital trust if you have to and dont take any bull off them either. IIRC if you need it a chap called Nigel Cridland is very high up and also a good bloke who will help with any issues.
Again All the best for you both
cheers richie
Old 01 June 2010, 10:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Chip, you did not mention if she is having neoadjuvant or adjuvant therapy and which what drug/combination she is having.

Hair loss is quite a common side effect, as is nausea and vomiting. You can also get some toxicities which can be a pain in the *** and may require a dose-reduction or interruption in certain cases.

But anyway, good luck to both of you
Thanks.

Its adjuvant therapy and drug involved is Carboplatin every 3 weeks for 6 sessions then radio for 6 weeks daily.

Chip
Old 01 June 2010, 10:33 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Chip,
Spoke to my SIL over the weekend. As I said, she lost a breast due to cancer. She is only 45 and this happened a couple of years ago.
She has asked me to tell your wife there is light at the end of the tunnel. It seems awful, and she remembers being scared, tired, feeling sick, bad taste in her mouth and no appetite.
But, as she said, all is good now and she is trying to put it all behind her. She asked me to tell your wife, good luck and all her best wishes. Any questions you may have, please feel free to pm and she will be more than happy to let her know whatever she can help with.
Again, all my best to you and your wife and my hope it all goes really well

Well, if your wife is like me, she will love flowers
Old 01 June 2010, 11:10 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really add anything here other than to say I hope it all goes as well as it can and does the job. I can only imagine how hard it can be with side effects, and it's probably little comfort if she is having a hard time right now, but it'll hopefully be worth it. I can only send my love and keep everything crossed for her/you. It might be tough now, but when she is better, it'll be a distant memory. xx

My Mam had breast cancer and thankfully they removed the breast and she didn't need chemo/radio because of the type apparently. It was still tough for her, but so far she has come out the other end and is clear right now. Even though she didn't go through that treatment, it is hard to cope with, and I'm so proud of her for how she did.

Don't be afraid to both feel alot of different emotions, my best advice is to embrace them, 'put up' with each other and when it's all done and she is on the mend, you'll be stronger for it.

Sorry for going on, but this is quite close to me, and I thank SN in part for helping me through, and hopefully it's coming good for you too. As said, for all the sniping etc. that goes on here, so many people come out when it really matters.

My love to you both and to all the others going through similar situations.
Old 02 June 2010, 09:01 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Its adjuvant therapy and drug involved is Carboplatin every 3 weeks for 6 sessions then radio for 6 weeks daily.

Chip
Hi Chip

Is this for ovarian cancer?

Is she having this as a single agent regimen or is she having this alongside another product, such as paclitaxel?

I can show you the way to some docs that may be useful

Quick Reply: Anyone had chemo/radio therapy??