Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unattened Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2002, 02:05 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As a kid at home we always had a Dog and now I would really like one again. However both my wife and I work. We both do a fairly "normal" day - i.e. leave the house around 8ish and get back anywhere from 5 to 7 in the evening. Ideally I'd like a black labrador. We are about to move and would then have a reasonbale size garden, which could have a kennel in.

What are peoples feelings. Is its "OK" to leave a dog all day ?.

How many leave dogs - In the House ? or in the Garden ? - never all day every day ?

Deano
Old 28 March 2002, 02:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Labs tend to be very happy go lucky so you might be ok leaving them all day, suffice to say that the dog might be very excited to see you when you get back.

I think that if you leave the dog on it's own at an early age it might be ok with it.

suzy's weimaraner, maggie, did not really like being left alone, but seemed to cope ok most times, though you did have to make sure doors were shut and no food was within the dogs reach, which basically meant batten down the hatches

not an expert on this type of thing though.
Old 28 March 2002, 02:40 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

We used to have a lab sized cross. She had a big warm kennel, a good sized concrete run for sunbathing and a big garden. Usually just fed her in the morning and then from 6ish onwards she was in the house or out 'playing' until 10ish. Then back to the kennel/garden until 6 the next night. We thought it wasn't fair, so we gave her away to real dog loving family....... 6 times. Given that she came back to her kennel 5 times, I don't think she minded being alone.
Old 28 March 2002, 02:41 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

If the garden is big enough and you build a kennel the dog will be fine outside but if you buy the dog as a puppy it will need that extra bit of care and attention. We have a springer spaniel puppy that stays in but is allways visited and let out every lunch time. Prepare for the fact that if you leave it in the house everything with in reach will get destroyed. The only way I've foung to keep ours in the garden is a Cartman style V-chip that gives the dog a little electric shock when it aproaches the perimiter. However much you think a fence and chicken wire works it doesn't stop dreaming. Also if you are going to leave it on its own all day you should get two dogs so they have company.
Old 29 March 2002, 08:00 AM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

i have an english bull bitch and a 6 month old dobermann.

the english bull loves her own space and isnt destructive at all, shes wonderful.

the pup is fine too. what we do is have a big cage in the kitchen, which has water and toys in.
he's in there from 10 am till 4pm, and he's fine.
infact, my english bull has the freedom of the downstairs, BUT, i have a hell of a job trying to get her out of the cage, she loves it.(theyre not in the cage together!)

once the dog is past the destructive puppy phase, then give them a bit more freedom.
most people i know with dogs work, so IMHO its not cruel at all. in an ideal world we'd all work at home and have 24hrs a day with family and pets, but for most of us, life aint like that, u have to make the best of it.
so get the pup, and go and buy a big cage , the dog will be fine
Old 29 March 2002, 11:52 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

no- what u gonna do in the winter when its wet and cold? leave it in the kennel? also labs are working dogs- it'll get fat if not exercised and it wont do 10 laps of the garden just on its own!

Tiggs

ps- we didnt get a dog until my wife could be home with them- also they get 1hr run every day- i'd struggle to do that working 9-5 and having no one at thome to do it.
Old 29 March 2002, 02:48 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

We're moving so we are directly opposite 20 acres of common with farmland behind. Dog would get a short walk in the morning and a longer on most evenings.

Anyway thought you worked from home Tiggs ? - Surely you could squeeze a walk in between rolling out of bed and shuffling to your study ?

Deano
Old 29 March 2002, 06:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Deano,

As long as you are not moving in next door to me

As I work from home I find it bloody annoying that the neighbours (but 1) leave their two labs in the garden during the day.

They are barking and yapping all hours while I'm trying to work.

Irritating to say the least.

So, what am I saying ? Consider your new neighbours if the dog is a barker.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 March 2002, 12:28 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

WORK from home- dont have time to walk the dogs as well!
Old 30 March 2002, 06:56 PM
subster
Scooby Regular

It may be a problem as a juvenile, but normally if there is nothing to excite a dog it will lay down and nap. If you sit down at night to watch t.v a dog will nap, this is why at night your dog will get up with you at any time and be ready to go out or whatever
It's just what dogs do
There must be periods of exercise and stimulation at some point in 24 hours. Dogs adapt
Of course though there is some dogs which do not follow the trend
Old 30 March 2002, 08:15 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Ian

I fuuly understand, work from home myself fairly often and next door (other half of semi) have 2 springer spaniels. They dont like people looking in much

Can be more than a little annoying. Moitoring and training required I think.

Interesting comments. I must admit I expected more fervent anti comment. I now just have to persuade the wife

Deano
Old 30 March 2002, 08:25 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Wink

Alright then,

Don't get a dog, they smell, can't look after themselves, you have to take them for walks, they bark, they crap everywhere and the idiot owners don't clean up after them, they are stupid etc. etc.

Get a cat.

<flame suit on, and off running and ducking>
Old 30 March 2002, 11:52 PM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm with IWatkins, I grew up always having a dog and love them to bits, however I will not get another until I retire as I feel it would be unfair on one to coop it up in the house all day.
We therefore currently have two charming little felines, who love us so much that they keep bringing us presents. The best one yet being 90% of a squirrel, the missing 10% being the insides.

Christ, did that make the wife scream!