Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Greek Riots

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2010, 11:41 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Greek Riots

Just watching riots from Greece . Apparently the Greek public sector have an award where they can retire on a full pension at 40 !
You know what **** the Greeks .
As a result of their excessive awards to civil servants we have a situation where the EU is under pressure , which is rippling around the world . World markets are falling.
I'm 65 and MY super is dwindling because of greedy lazy ******* elite Greeks.
I am pissed off big time. I've worked for 50 ******* years I've done enough
Old 05 May 2010, 11:57 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said that man.
Surely being in the EU retirement ages should be equal.
Let them go bust, lazy *******.
Old 05 May 2010, 12:04 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Greece has a big problem with corruption and a previous government that lied about the true damage caused to the country.

Some people believe the UK is a nats c*ck away from a similar fate. I wonder if there will be riots here too.
Old 05 May 2010, 12:08 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How on earth any Country can think that it can sustain paying a pension to someone for 30-40 years Then again our own Country has one giant ponzi style pension scheme so maye people in glass houses..
Old 05 May 2010, 01:06 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

they basically lied about their economic status before massive public borrowing to host things like the olympics etc.

going from drachma to euro boosted - on paper- their crap economy.

also bribery and corruption of just basically everyone is rampent. avg greek family/household reckon on about £1000 a yr to "get things" done.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

Some people believe the UK is a nats c*ck away from a similar fate. I wonder if there will be riots here too.
No. We'll do what we usually do. Complain to each other on internet forums, and with our friends down the pub, then proceed to pull our trousers down and take it good style.

It's the British way.

Same as Fuel prices. Paid £1.27 the other day.
The french would be burning sheep 50p ago.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Greek pensions are paid at 53 but even that system is corrupt with a lot of ghost claimants.

Of course the riots will be killing off the country's main earner which is tourism as many holiday folk don't fancy being shot when they are on holiday! dl
Old 05 May 2010, 02:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

These Greek public servants did not moan when they were creaming it in with golden hanshakes, golden goodbye's, golden pensions, expenses, massively over inflated salaries etc. ow when the money runs out they get all upset
Old 05 May 2010, 02:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Now the trouble starts and the reputation faulters....

3 dead in riots.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ters_On_Strike
Old 05 May 2010, 02:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Average price of unleaded 95 in France = £1.22 - where is all the charred mutton?
Old 05 May 2010, 02:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Snazy
Now the trouble starts and the reputation faulters....

3 dead in riots.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ters_On_Strike
Sad but if only all these rioters had put in the same work ethic when they were in the public sector..
Old 05 May 2010, 02:54 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

GODDAM IT - WE WANT FREE MONEY!
Old 05 May 2010, 03:12 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

But we bailed them out last year with all the money we shelled out on our family holiday... 7 Euro for a small jar of honey!
Old 05 May 2010, 03:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Greece: seat of democracy, medicine, philosophy and science - then they took it easy for 2,000 years.

They also invented bumming young men.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Greece: seat of democracy, medicine, philosophy and science - then they took it easy for 2,000 years.

They also invented bumming young men.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Average price of unleaded 95 in France = £1.22 - where is all the charred mutton?
It isnt that simple though, is it? Thats what we pay after coverting Sterling to Euros. The relative cost to the French is substantially lower - imagine if the exchange rate as still 1.5:1.....
Old 05 May 2010, 03:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
No. We'll do what we usually do. Complain to each other on internet forums, and with our friends down the pub, then proceed to pull our trousers down and take it good style.

It's the British way.

Nice idea. French diesel is €1.26 and their petrol is over €1.50 as I type........

€1 is around 93p
Old 05 May 2010, 03:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Saw a thing on morning TV last week comparing Greece to germany:

Germans work longer hours, have less holidays, pay more INTO their pensions and retire 15 or more years after most greeks, plus pay more income tax.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems little point in them rioting when the country has not got the cash to pay their benefits with anyway. May well happen here too!

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 05:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Sad but if only all these rioters had put in the same work ethic when they were in the public sector..
I had quite a heated debate with my Labour MP on Monday afternoon about cleaning up the public sector.

I asked her why cuts were bad now and she rattled on about the impact on the economy. I pointed out that savings meant public sector redundancies which frankly is down to Labour allowing massive waste and it had to be stopped. She made a big fuss saying that if you make large parts of the public sector unemployed they won't have the money to pay for things offered by the private sector. I then pointed at the leaflet she had given me about creating thousands of "green" jobs and I said "give them the green jobs your creating"

Round 2 consisted of if it wasn't for Labour saving us we were 4 hours away from financial meltdown which I admitted I had heard before and didn't believe it then either. I said the government should never have forced Lloyds to buy Halifax and she said they didn't. I pointed out the issue with monopolies and mergers commission. I pointed out the interest rates banks are making us pay for our own money when seen in comparison to BoE rates (I know its not quite like that but I was on a roll and she was on the ropes big time)

I was about to point out that I was unhappy to vote tory because I think it was their fault we became addicted to the financial industry and that we should have stayed firm to manufacturing but just ditched the unions - AND AT THAT POINT SHE ALMOST VOMITTED ON ME.

I mentioned that unions were a bad idea and look at the sh1te cars produced in the 70s and you would have thought that I had just insulted her (being a coloured labour female MP it was hardly going to be difficult)

She cut the debate short shook my hand and pretty much ran away. My friend turned to me and said I should change my career to politics
Old 05 May 2010, 05:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
It isnt that simple though, is it? Thats what we pay after coverting Sterling to Euros. The relative cost to the French is substantially lower - imagine if the exchange rate as still 1.5:1.....
Well actually if you really want to look at it properly you need to consider the average salary in each country and France is 71% of the UK's so their petrol is actually way mroe expensive than ours in relative terms.
Old 05 May 2010, 07:04 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I hope the euro collapses so I can import a cheap scoob again
Old 05 May 2010, 07:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

We simply have to make massive cuts, anything less is going to leave us in a total mess. All those chavs who are work shy living in their council houses are going to get a shock sooner or later. The country is going to run out of money, and those who can work will have to find work here or abroad.

The chavs without employment history or qualifications (meaningful ones) are going to have a very tough time indeed.
Old 05 May 2010, 08:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

We can't afford enough juice for the petrol bombs...

LOL

dunx
Old 05 May 2010, 08:31 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

It's a very serious situation, and I'm surprised the markets have only just started to really get hit as a result of this.

Much of the Western world is living unrealistic living standards that their economies can no longer support. Up to now the party has been kept going with massive borrowing by governments and consumers, but it looks like this is almost at an end.

Portugal, Spain, Ireland and Italy are not far behind Greece, but as mentioned the UK is pretty screwed as well.

Whats the solution? Well the IMF only has approx $350bn in reserves, so even with the EU chipping in they can't afford many bailouts. After that it's got to be a case of massive inflation to erode debts - but obviously this means savings are eroded, and the value of your belongings effectively drop. This is happening to an extent now, but expect much more.

The other thing is countries will have to get real about public sector jobs etc - I don't believe all the people working for councils now will get their full final salary pensions, and retirement age needs to be upped to 70. Things like the NHS and loads of people living on benefits and disability just isnt affordable.

The whole thing is like someone earning £50k a year borrowing another £50k a year to fund their lifestyle. It can't go on forever, and when the time comes when you can't borrow anymore and have to pay back, things get very painful.

Last edited by Petem95; 05 May 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05 May 2010, 08:53 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Default .

Originally Posted by EddScott
I had quite a heated debate with my Labour MP on Monday afternoon about cleaning up the public sector.

I asked her why cuts were bad now and she rattled on about the impact on the economy. I pointed out that savings meant public sector redundancies which frankly is down to Labour allowing massive waste and it had to be stopped. She made a big fuss saying that if you make large parts of the public sector unemployed they won't have the money to pay for things offered by the private sector. I then pointed at the leaflet she had given me about creating thousands of "green" jobs and I said "give them the green jobs your creating"

Round 2 consisted of if it wasn't for Labour saving us we were 4 hours away from financial meltdown which I admitted I had heard before and didn't believe it then either. I said the government should never have forced Lloyds to buy Halifax and she said they didn't. I pointed out the issue with monopolies and mergers commission. I pointed out the interest rates banks are making us pay for our own money when seen in comparison to BoE rates (I know its not quite like that but I was on a roll and she was on the ropes big time)

I was about to point out that I was unhappy to vote tory because I think it was their fault we became addicted to the financial industry and that we should have stayed firm to manufacturing but just ditched the unions - AND AT THAT POINT SHE ALMOST VOMITTED ON ME.

I mentioned that unions were a bad idea and look at the sh1te cars produced in the 70s and you would have thought that I had just insulted her (being a coloured labour female MP it was hardly going to be difficult)

She cut the debate short shook my hand and pretty much ran away. My friend turned to me and said I should change my career to politics

can i vote for edd on my polling card tomorrow???
Old 05 May 2010, 10:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
It's a very serious situation, and I'm surprised the markets have only just started to really get hit as a result of this.
But the markets don't have the jitters over Greece's problems as they have been known about for a long time. The markets have the jitters because the bail out package took too long to be ratified and more importantly the Greek government may yet reject it and let their country go bankrupt.

Oh and just for a bit of balance the UK is not quite in the same boat. Our economy is more robust (yes despite New Labour) and we have mainly long term debts to pay back unlike Greece who have to start paying as early as a couple of weeks time.

While we are not in great shape we are also not in quite the dire straits many would have us believe. I swear that some people almost seem to want us to sink .... it's quite weird
Old 05 May 2010, 10:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

But the markets don't have the jitters over Greece's problems as they have been known about for a long time. The markets have the jitters because the bail out package took too long to be ratified and more importantly the Greek government may yet reject it and let their country go bankrupt.

Oh and just for a bit of balance the UK is not quite in the same boat. Our economy is more robust (yes despite New Labour) and we have mainly long term debts to pay back unlike Greece who have to start paying as early as a couple of weeks time.

While we are not in great shape we are also not in quite the dire straits many would have us believe. I swear that some people almost seem to want us to sink .... it's quite weird
I would like to believe you are right, but only time will tell..........
Old 05 May 2010, 10:22 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Greece who have to start paying as early as a couple of weeks time.

Some people would just love to see a realisation that the current welfare state cannot continue. At the moment the financial position does not seem to be bad enough for any of the parties to actually make the necessary changes.

Quick Reply: Greek Riots