Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a house from auction?...

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2010, 10:32 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a house from auction?...

I'm toying with the idea of buying a house at some point next year, and I'm considering getting one from auction to cut out the hassle of EA's and get it a bit quicker.

THe only thing is I couldn't buy the sort of house I want outright with cash, so I'd need to either;

a) borrow money from family, which is possible but I don't really want to do this
b) take out an unsecured loan?
c) can you agree a mortgage on a home bought from auction??

Any other options, or is this just a bad idea?!

thanks
Old 28 April 2010, 12:53 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

With auctions you need to have all your finances well in order before you get there as you need to be able to pay the required deposit straight away and complete within a month (28 days)

If you can get a mortgage in principle with the required deposit level requested by the auction house agreed before you attend the auction you will be in a good position.

An unsecured loan is a very bad idea. It will be at a higher rate than any mortgage you can find (with *very* few exceptions) and will, as per the name, be unsecured so higher risk if your circumstances change for both you and your family.
Old 28 April 2010, 01:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chris-boris
With auctions you need to have all your finances well in order before you get there as you need to be able to pay the required deposit straight away and complete within a month (28 days)

If you can get a mortgage in principle with the required deposit level requested by the auction house agreed before you attend the auction you will be in a good position.

An unsecured loan is a very bad idea. It will be at a higher rate than any mortgage you can find (with *very* few exceptions) and will, as per the name, be unsecured so higher risk if your circumstances change for both you and your family.
but if you secure the property at a good discount you can just re-finance the loan with a mortgage
Old 28 April 2010, 01:12 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but if you secure the property at a good discount you can just re-finance the loan with a mortgage
correct - but its still a risk and does involve a big IF

its entirely down to the OP whether the risk associated with this particular option best suites his circumsatnces or if there are better options available. Personally i wouldn't want to take the chance.....
Old 28 April 2010, 01:43 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

oh and don't forget to get a "full" survey in case theres anything amiss with the property.