Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good combi Microwave?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2010, 03:36 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good combi Microwave?

Further to the untimely demise of my current Panasonic combination microwave (1000W microwave, grill, fan assisted oven, all nicely clad in stainless steel)... I'm looking for a new one of similar or better quality.

I've always been a big fan of the Panasonic appliances (TVs, microwaves, breadmakers, etc.) and I THINK that I'll probably go Panasonic again - but wanted to ask if anyone had anything comparable or better that could be recommended.

My current favourite is the Pana NN-CT878S:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...139/index.html

However, you can't get them at the moment as Pana have discontinued them and are launching new models in circa 2 weeks. Not sure I can wait that long....

Features I really like:
- stainless steel
- catalytic / enamel interior for easy cleaning
- good fan assisted oven
- great defrost function (never found one as good as Pana "Chaos Defrost")
- stand-alone (rather than built in)
- door with LH hinge (rather than a drop-down door - though may be tempted)

I'm a huge fan of buying quality - rather than buying twice. This Pana has done me for around 10 years, and would be still going today if (well.... user error, put it that way!). Miele don't appear to make anything except built-in microwaves, and I'm not sure that the German manufs are better than Pana anyway?

Anyone help with any recommendations? Don't even THINK of telling me that something that costs under £150 will do the job....

Ta muchly...

DN
Old 21 April 2010, 05:10 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't fault the panasonics, have one ourselves and does a cracking jacket potato and it's been solid as anything over the past 2-3 years and gets used all the time.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:13 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a bosch microwave oven (the size of an oven) new for £450.. rrp is £1500 on it..

keep an eye on ebay...
Old 21 April 2010, 05:16 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I think it's what I'll be doing. Just means waiting for 2-3 weeks for the new high-end stuff to be released. Can't find anything that compares - and the high street retailers are full of microwaves in the £40-£150 range with little choice above that.

Just don't put 'em on full power for 30 mins, empty when you think you've put the timer on for 30 mins... they don't like it. They start to smell and eventually set off your smoke alarms!
Old 21 April 2010, 05:17 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I think it's what I'll be doing. Just means waiting for 2-3 weeks for the new high-end stuff to be released. Can't find anything that compares - and the high street retailers are full of microwaves in the £40-£150 range with little choice above that.

Just don't put 'em on full power for 30 mins, empty when you think you've put the timer on for 30 mins... they don't like it. They start to smell and eventually set off your smoke alarms!